The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Svengali deck » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
I just got a Svengali deck that I won on ebay. The ad described many wondrous things that I could do with this deck, but now that I have it, I see that none of these wondrous things are explained. So now I need a book. Any recommendations?

One other question, is this book 1 or book 2 of the Karl Fulves Self Working Card Tricks? Does it have anything about the Svengali deck in it?

I just think this is so great, to have a place where magically challenged Smile people like me can come for help!

Smile Mary B.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
No, the Fulves books don't have any Svengali tricks in them, but a whole chapter can be found in "The Encyclopaedia of Card Tricks" by Jean Hugard which is readily available and reasonably priced.
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Thanks, Paul! I took your advice and ordered the Jean Hugard book from Amazon. So in five to seven days, I'll probably have a ton of more questions!!

:patty: Mary B.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
You might also try

http://www.magictricks.com

and, where it says "find", type in Svengali deck instructions.

They have a book, 101 Tricks with A Svengali Deck, and others (reasonably priced).

There are many things that can be done with a Svengali, besides the obvious.

Unfortunately, most magicians never go beyond the obvious, which is why this deck so often ends up in the "junk" drawer.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Yes, don't take the deck lightly. It can fry magicians in the right framing.

Peter is very correct.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
And whatever you do, please, please, please do not show all the cards have changed to the same. Soon as you do that you’re dead in the water, they recognize it's the trick Uncle Ernie has.

Paul Smile
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Huh????? Smile Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't understand what you mean by, "all the cards have changed to the same". They aren't all the same, they're different. Well, the backs are the same, but somehow I don't think that's what you meant.

Is it???

:patty: Mary B.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Mary,

Hold the deck by one end and then rifle the other end from bottom to top and from top to bottom and you'll see what they mean.

Sable

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
If all those cards are different they've conned you and sent you the wrong deck! Smile

In fairness, they ought to be supplied with SOME basic instructions.

The Svengali deck was invented by Burling Hull in 1908.

Paul Hallas.
wpitts
View Profile
New user
Florida
1 Post

Profile of wpitts
I remember selling Mirage (a form of the Svengali) decks and stripper decks in 1968 to earn a little cash. Man, do I feel old now.

There's an interesting e-book at:

http://allmagicreader.com/index.html

called "THE FIN DE SIECLE DECK" that explains the principles of these and other similar decks and there are several tricks included.
William
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Mary,
Maybe they sent you the wrong deck. Please do hold the deck face up from one of the ends-not by sides. Then riffle the pack, don't they seem to be the same? The Svengali deck is consisting of (edited) 52 cards in a specific arrangement.(end editing)
(Usually you do arrange them yourself) If it is so. You may have a small booklet "75 Tricks With a Svengali Deck" by Al Stevenson.
It is a very cheap booklet. If you have the wrong deck, most probably a Stripper deck No harm is done, buy the booklet "75 Tricks with a Stripper Deck" by the same author.
If you can not reach any of them please pm me and I may tell you some effects.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Hello. I am currently in China studying Chinese, and while I was in Thailand over the winter break revived my old interest in magic. There were people in the street everywhere performing and selling classic items like the Svengali deck. It was called "short and long" cards. Like Mary, I would be interested in how to best use this deck. I have used it to force the card and then go on to different ways to reveal it, but what else might be done besides the old "TV Magic Card" give-away ending? I'm good at making up my own effects if given a nudge in the right direction, but here my imagination fails me a little. Thanks!
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I LOVE SVENGALI DECKS! Smile My mom got me my first deck when I was about 7 years old. I didn't know much about it then. Heck 11 years later and I'm just now learning some pretty good uses for it. Smile Smile
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
Mary,

If you like the material in the Hugard book or the "75 Tricks" booklet, and want to move on to some great pitch routines, I highly recommend "The Long and the Short of it" by Mark Lewis.

Check out the online demo:

Click Here!

At a rather pricey $25, I was a little skeptical as to the value of its contents. But after reading it, I was pleasantly surprised. Worth every Penny.

BTW, most of the moves are well within the reach of newbies.
majorshaw
View Profile
New user
Randy Shaw
73 Posts

Profile of majorshaw
I think you ruin the deck by showing all the same card. do a card trick then change decks. then make the card jump anywhere you want. did this at a magic convention when i did at work shop. magicians are easy. they want to beleive bruised knuckles. Great card stab. Smile
R.Shaw

AIMC with Silver Star
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
Barry Richardson has a nice routine in "Theater of the Mind" that hides the Svengali principle very well.
Ari_R
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Ari_R
Check this out, it may help! IT's a video for the deck.

25 Tricks with Svengali Deck

Find it at http://www.hanklee.com
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Hi Mary,
I've been "pitching svengali's for over 25 years at flea markets and fairs.All the above books are good.Their is also a video out " 25 tricks with a svengali deck" that you can get at most on line magic shops for about $10.00.I have directions for 10 tricks I give with the decks I sell, and would be glad to mail you a copy on me.Just PM me with an address.
Hope this helped,have a good day,
Don
erik
View Profile
New user
Bucks County, PA
90 Posts

Profile of erik
Do you think it might be acceptable to do the "total revelation" with Svengali for younger audiences?

:bikes:

I started a new thread on my question here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&22
DarkArts
View Profile
New user
Singapore
25 Posts

Profile of DarkArts
Yeah, I agree with some of you, that it would be a bad move to show TT all the cards half change to the same card. TT really is a spoiler, when I show it to a few of my friends. Man shouldn't have done TT. Smile
"HuMaNs SeeKs MaGiC pOwEr WhIL3 EY lIve"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Svengali deck » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL