The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Single silk production question... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can point me to either a published method (book/DVD/video/download) or a suitable holdout.

I need to produce a single 18" silk at the finger tips, however I don't want to snap the hand to make the silk appear, so the spiral rossette and the triangle fold wont work. I need to simply open my hand and have the silk drop out, so an accordian pleat (sp?) is great but how can I preset such a loose fold?

I want to make the steal from either left jacket pocket or beneath coat on the left hand side. Do any of you guys know of a good holdout that will keep an accordian pleated silk together and then deliver it easily into my hand?

If not, do you know of another fold which is easily produced and yet stable enough to spend some time in the pocket without unravelling?

As I mentioned, if you can point me towards a DVD/book etc. or can suggest an appropriate hold out I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers
Billy
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Have you checked the Rice silk magic series?

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Nak
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Nak
I don't know how well this will work in your particular act, but I've found "bill clips" from office stores (such as Office Max and Staples) work very well as silk clips. I would think they would hold an accordion pleated silk just as well, so try that in your pocket, possibly. Hope this helps

Nathan
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
226 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Billy,
Have you thought of using a Sanada gimmick ?
Stuart.
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice.

I haven't checked Rice, actually I'm slightly hesitant to say that I don't own Rice. I've got everything that Duane Laflin has ever put out and I've just had another look at McBride on stage which has some ideas in it.

Stuart, the Sanada is a great idea, I have the 'double Sanada' which I may be able to rubber band in my pocket. I'll give it a try.

Nathan, I think the bill clip idea sounds like it could be what I'm looking for, I'll go and have a play in Office Works.

Thanks once again.
Billy
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Peter White, of P&L Silks also puts out a series of silk videos, but I can't tell you exactly what's on which one. Almost anything you want to know, including productions, is included.

Amos McCormick
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2006-06-22 07:07, amosmc wrote:
Peter White, of P&L Silks also puts out a series of silk videos, but I can't tell you exactly what's on which one. Almost anything you want to know, including productions, is included.

Amos McCormick

That is P&A Silks. P&A is out of business I believe do to health issues.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 11:42am

--------------------------------------------------------------
It my be your mind set! If you want a silk to fall from the hand then release the silk first, then let it drop. You only need the to pull the end loose, no need to snap the hand if you do not want to.

Another fold that works well is Fantasio's Flat Fold and the new Flag Fold for silks, I don't know who came up with this method.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Oops... P&L is a different company. That's what happens when I try to type.

I have wondered about P&A, but their website was updated May 12, 2006 and I still get regular e-mails from them.

Amos McCormick
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I'm talking with Peter White on the phone right now. Evidently, reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated. You can find him at http://www.pasilks.com or (518) 537-8749.

He even said that, if you will call him and mention my name, he will sell you his "Why Knot Silks" volumes 1 & 2 DVDs for $10 off the regular price (or was that "above" the regular price?) Smile He says there is a production similar to what you are looking for on volume 1.

Peter is a great guy and will tell you anything you need to know.

Amos McCormick
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Amos,

You're a champion!

Thanks a million for that, I'll get onto Peter.

Cheers
Billy
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is great news, it has been so long since I have heard anything about P & A, I was very sad the one of the best silk supplies was gone. Good to hear he is still up and running!
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I think there were some health things, but everything's okay now. Peter said they don't do many conventions anymore.

Amos McCormick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Single silk production question... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL