The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Forced to Resign from Company & Only Got Insurance Job (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1592 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Dear all,

What I want to share is simply shown on the topic? Do you think a skinny 27 year old guy, who has an American college degree, 4 years in banking experience, whith 1.5 years front line finanial planning included can get a career in banks or insurance?

I really want to become a policeman and I do not know whether I am still able to take my best and give it a shot.

Now I just started working for an insurance compnay, the 2 weeks are for training. I need to make a decision fast. I do not want to waste any more time.

Thanks for reading this. Smile
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
My 2 cents.... Now is the best time for you to truly do what you REALLY WANT TO DO, whatever that may be. You're relatively young and seem to have high aspirations, go with your dreams my friend. Settle for no less.

Tomorrow is not a promise and yesterday is no longer here.

Good Luck! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5331 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
If you really want to become a policeman, then why are you avoiding becoming a policeman?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
It may sound responsible to go for the "job" that affords one financial stability...
I say "Be irresponsible" by going for the "job" you feel more passionate about...

If you resign yourself to accepting what seems the most likely instead of "grasping for what seems unlikely" then, it is most likely you will eventually become "burned out" on the most likely....

In essence,unless you feel passionate about what you are doing? You may not be doing it very long!
Stop wasting time on the most likely!

The future is shaped not molded!

p.s. "Got Chiles?" Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Here here ReyRey!

[I like the way that sounds! Smile ]
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
There are all kinds of answers I can give you. But I will try and make it my best. Keep up with you are right now because you need money to make your living. Switch over slowly into becoming a policeman. You might have to go to law training. If you do, do it part time. When everything is secure with the policeman job, quit the other full time job.

Good luck
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2002-12-12 08:37, Ambitious Card Freak wrote:
Dear all,

Do you think a skinny 27 year old guy, who has an American College Degree, 4 years in banking experience, which 1.5 years front line finanial planning included can get a career in banks or insurance?

I really want to become a policeman.
I do not want to waste any more time.

Thanks for reading this. Smile

Ambitious Card Freak,

If I dial 911 today, I want a responding officer who WANTS TO BE A POLICEMAN.

Refer to your quote and you'll find you said that's what you wanted.

The beauty of your post is you already know what you want. And at 27, you're quite fortunate to know what you desire most as an occupation. I have two friends, one retired officer and another member of the Dallas PD. Those two characters always knew they wanted to be cops, and I sometimes envy their love and awesome satisfaction with what they do each day.
Go for it! Smile

Randy Stewart
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Whenever I hear of someone who takes the 'safe' option instead of what they have a desire to do, I am reminded of an uncle of mine. He had a good job (he needed it with 6 kids!!), but it wasnt what he wanted. one day he just quit! Needless to say his wife was a bit worried about how they were going to feed the kids, but he started his own business doing what he loved and it has been more successful for him than his old job.

Obviously you need to ensure that you and yours can survive, but doing what you love will make you happier than getting more money!

- You can't leap across a ravine one step at a time -
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Dear all,

I am happy to have your encouragement. The latest news is, I went through a second interview 15 minutes ago. It was not an interview for police constable. It was actually a job about banking and mortgages (not sales job.)

I have tried my best during the second appointment and I believe that I have a good chance of getting this contract signed. It is because local bankers doing mortgages are either in their post for more than 10 years and simply will not quit and attend a 3:30 pm interview during business day (too scare of being terminated from their current post.)

I have nothing to lose, and I have tried my best. I have no regret at this stage.

May you all cast your magic spell on me so that my dream to get this job valid stable, so that I can get married soon.

Thanks and sincerely.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi, We have an expression in North America that claims: When one door closes, another opens.
You might not see it at the time and even be upset at your prospect. Only the passing of time sometimes makes us realize that if we hadn't been forced to choose another path we wouldn't be happy with our choice at the moment. Hope everything worked out for you. Smile
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
I am glad to tell you all that finally, I quit from my insurance job. I feel that all pressure went away from my body. I feel that I am a new fresh man again.

Now I will spend more time to decide my life and my career, not to mention about card magic.

I would like to thank you all for support I get from Magic Café. Magic led me to this site and let me have such a great opportunity to know so many professional magicians and again they are not only show off their talent (which is a 'must' in Hong Kong), on the other hand, helping each other.

I received the news that the Government of Hong Kong stops recruit new police officer. So I will spend some time and look for other post that fit my character and my job experience.

Smile

Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Ambitious Card Freak,

Never give up your dream!! While there may be a temporary halt to the hiring of new police recruits, they will probably resume some time in the future.

I was a police officer in NYC for a good portion of my adult life. And 30 years later now that I am retired, if I had to do it all over again I would.

Live your life, love your family and friends and never give up on your dreams.

Take Care of Yourself,
Vincent Smile Smile Smile
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
ACF,

Just curious to learn what you are doing.

I can truly appreciate your earlier dilemma: I faced it over 20 years ago. At that time I was working with a booking agency that was full of jerks, but they were getting me some work. I was seriously considering doing magic professionally, most likely at the local level. In my mind it was difficult for me to envision being able to support a family from this, or the alternative idea of heading west for a shot at acting.

In the intervening time, I have held a number of jobs, and have studied for two careers. Then I came back from living in Asia where I had made over twice as much as I had ever made here, even doing the same basic type of work. Two years later, after two more jobs (unrelated to what I had been doing for the prior 10 years), I had come full circle, and had nearly the same choice as I faced in 1980.

This time, I chose to give it a shot. I am working toward becoming a professional magician/entertainer (on the local level), and last year made more entertaining than I did in my "day job". (By the way, ironically, given your situation, I sell mortgages.)

I have never felt as comfortable and as satisfied with my "work" as I do now; people pay me to do something that I would do for free (SHHHHHHH). If I won the lottery for millions, I'd still do what I am doing now, though probably only at hospitals, for the USO, orphan's home, etc. (Oh, and they might be in places like Tokyo, Stockholm, Taipei, Paris, and some places that I haven't already been.) I can't say that I would do that in any of my other jobs (though I might go volunteer with troubled kids, I would not do that 40 hours a week).

My answer to you would be, unless you have no other choice but to make money any way you can, do what it is that you want to do now. If you HAVE to make some cash, and they aren't hiring now, keep your attention on if they change that policy. What you want to do likely won't be available to you when you are in your 40s. Hey, are they still hiring police in Macau? That isn't too far.
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Hi Ambitious Card Freak,

As someone who spent seven years in the police service, the entrance requirements are very flexible nowadays and I'd be surprised if you couldn't get in to the police in some state somewhere with your education. Given the fact that your slate has been wiped clean employment wise I'd apply for about 10 or so police services, you can always say no if you don't want the job.

Best of luck in what is a very rewarding career for the right type of person.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2002-12-17 16:53, Harry Murphy wrote:
If you really want to become a policeman, then why are you avoiding becoming a policeman?

I agree with Harry. Want to be a policeman? Then like NIKE says "JUST DO IT"!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Just stopped by and want to say thank you for the encouragement you guys gave me. I am now working in the credit department of a bank's consumer lending team.

Well, it is not as interesting as card magic, but it is some kind of challenge I would like to take since I graduated from college, so I take the shot and now it works okay for me.

Reply to some other Café members, the Hong Kong government still stopped all funding to recruit new police forces, and qualified candidiates count up to more than hundreds on waiting list in order to enter training camps. I do not think I will spend my time and youth with such a non-efficient government.

Currently I am thinking about: How about spending my after office hour time and study a law degree and become a professional lawyer? This sounds like a better idea for me, even though it may take six years or more.

Anyway, I am glad that I know all of you and let's keep in touch.

Sincerely,

RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
That's great news. Seems you might of been sparred the frustration of working for, as you describe, a "non-efficient government".

Great luck and success in your new position and future legal career.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Forced to Resign from Company & Only Got Insurance Job (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL