The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Kids Live Television Magic Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
How come there hasn't been any kid's magic show on television like Mark Wilson's Alakazam in the early 60s (1960-1964) and Dick Williams (1966-1989) Magicland?

There are a ton of kids cartoons, cartoon characters, Barney, Blue's Clues, Mr. Rogers, Seasame Street, Nick Shows, And Kids Game Shows, and Kids News, and many more similar shows but no live magic show like Alakazam and Magicland.

How come?
Dennis Michael
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Because kids are much more sophisticated not to mention it is far cheaper to purchase cartoons than it is to do a live production anymore. If you produce a cartoon series, it can be easily dubbed and sold around the world, not so for live action shows. Cost alone is a major reason.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
the same reason they took bozo off the air last summer.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I still think it's a really good idea.
If some network would get the ***** to try it, it would probably go over well. Magic seems to be going through a revival so to speak.
Smile
Daniel Faith
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Dennis, I will attempt to answer your question. Almost 12 years ago I had a local TV show in Indianapolis, IN. The show covered almost the whole state. It was number one in it's time slot. Yeah!

It was an indpendent TV station, they were big on Cable. I had approached them at the right time. They were looking for a local family show they could pitch for advertising and at the same time have a local show that they could use to get involved in the local community. We ended up doing a lot of live local appearances. Festivals, Malls, Grand Openings. It was hard work but fun!

I was paid by the TV station which was rare, they paid for everything. But we had to help them promote the show and work with the advertisers. This helped bring in the money.

It is all about money and what will sell.
If you can put together a show that will draw the numbers, they can sell it, you are in business.

Today, I think you will have to go about it a little differently. But I agree with you that there is still a market for family entertainment. Note that I said, "Family" not just "Kids". This will make a difference in selling the show. In other words if you do it right you will not only be entertaining the kids but the adults also.

Steve Hart
Cape Canaveral, FL USA
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
rjsmith608
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of rjsmith608
I hosted a show for two years local UPN affiliate on Saturday Mornings. I am planing on trying to get the show rolling again real soon.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
I currently do a monthly television kids magic show on local cable television.

Good exposure but not pay since it is community cable.

Just a note, my next show is tomorrow morning... Topic "Classics of Magic"

Fun Fun Fun!
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Cartoons are just plain cheaper. Just run 'em. No sound people to pay, no camera people to pay, no costume people, makeup, lighting, performers ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Kids Live Television Magic Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL