The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Hello I am wondering in your opinion what is the best book/book set for stage magic and close up alike. Thanks.
-Aaron
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Tarbell.
Steve V
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Where can I get the whole set for a resonable price?
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
187 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Aaron,

If I understand your question correctly, you are interested in books that focus BOTH on Stand-Up and Close-Up Magic alike (within the same volume). Is that correct?

Or are you willing to spend a little more to buy a book that focuses just on Stand-Up and another that focuses exclusively on Close-Up?

I think that both of John Carney's excellent tomes (CARNYCOPIA and SECRETS) will fit the bill nicely if you are looking for well rounded books that give you both Stand-Up and Close-Up insights and effects. Also look to the two Harry Riser books (SECRETS OF AN ESCAMOTEUR and THE FEINTS AND TEMPS OF HARRY RISER) for further guidance in both Close-Up and Stand-Up arenas. These books have been VERY favorably commented on by the Magic critics, and they are indeed a welcome addition to my own library.

If you don't mind books that stick to a singular venue then Jim Steinmeyer has just released an anthology of Stand-Up magic taken from his column in Magic Magazine. The book is called The Conjuring Anthology, and it has been well-received by the members of Magic Café whom already purchased the volume!

Jim is an excellent writer (I own a few of his books) and I'm sure that you will find many things of interest in the book.

In terms of singular Close-Up books, I'm partial to anything from the Richard Kaufman publishing house, or anything from Stephen Minch's Hermetic Press publishing company. Good books, well-written, absolute joys to read and to own!

Good luck in your quest, my friend.

Pal Gene
landon
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of landon
I was going to mention Carneycopia as well for close-up.

A great set of books with close-up and stage magic is Routined manipulation. There are some very nice card routines such as an all backs routine by Alex Elmsley and a card to pocket routine by Patrick Page. There's also a variety of stage magic eg. card manipulation and some nice multiplying ball sleights.

You can get the whole set for $25 at Denny and Lee magic.

Another awesome book I'm into right now is Dominatricks by Tyler Wilson. There really isn't a bad item in the whole book. It's all close-up though but still very good.

Landon
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Thanks I think I am going to go with tarbell course in magic. is anyone interested in selling me theres or where can I get the whole set for a reasonable price. I know it will cost me a bit but where can I purchas these?
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I don't think you can go wrong with Tarbell, it's a great suggestion and you can pick up the set at any reputable magic shop.

Click HERE for a good mail-order source. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
I've been able pick up a used set for around $100.00 (all 8 volumes). I just checked recent auctions on eBay and found where an 8 volume set sold for $122.50 and a 7 volume set sold for $117.50. You could also try and pick them up one at a time. There were several individual volumes offered but without any bids. The starting prices for a couple were $7.99. You just need to be careful with postage.

-Brian
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
For stand up/stage magic, Conjuring Anthology gets my highest recommendation. It is in my top three magic books of all time. If you are in to mentalism, Theater of the Mind can't be beat.
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Thanks guys
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Check out the re-release of "My Best" by Thompson.

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best Book (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL