The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Manicures (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jason London
View Profile
Loyal user
Napa Valley
207 Posts

Profile of Jason London
Greetings,

Here is an interesting question for anyone that works in a restaurant or does strolling magic.

How many of you get a Manicure?

I, myself, have it done twice a month. Or, sometimes once a week depending on my schedule.

Not only does this look very professional, but you'll get lots of nice comments as well.

After all, when you're doing close-up magic, what are people looking at besides your props? Your hands!
Jason London

This space for rent
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
When I waited tables, I used to get manicures twice a month also. I get them occasionally, but I plan on following your schedule when I start performing on a more regular basis.

I agree with the reasons you stated. The reason I started it during magic is because Eugene Burger had mentioned it in "Performance of Close Up Magic" and I remember having to do it for the restaurant I waited tables at. I think it is probably the best advice I have seen from Mr. Burger. (I also think he is the only guy that has mentioned it in a magic book, but I could very well be wrong).
ME
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
It just makes sense. What about washing hands?

Whenever anyone mentions the mismade bill, I think about the guy on WGM that did it and how filthy the bill was. It looked like it was 20 filthy yrs old. Keep the props clean too.

If you've got brass, shine it up. Paper, replace it when it looks dirty.

The worst of all are those dirty, stained mats. Use 'em for practice or toss 'em.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Mr A
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Mr A
I always keep a pair of gloves in my car. You never know when you may have a flat or need to do something else that really gets your hands dirty. Also, I keep a few packages of "moist towelettes" in my bag.
I use a buffer on my nails and keep them nice and neat looking, but I have never had a professional manicure. Might need to check into it. How much should I expect to pay?
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Twice to three times a month. There is no difference between the manicure and an actor wearing make-up. I now that my friends love to kid me about getting them, but your hands are what people are looking at. Make them look good!!! Would you not shave or bathe before a show, of course not (I HOPE!!) because you want to appear not just professional but presentable. I started getting them years ago and strongly recomend them to anyone who performs.

Mat
Mickey Cohen
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Mickey Cohen
I was married to a nail tech. In those days my nails were kept up once a week and I also got hot wax treatments to keep my skin looking good. After 14 yrs of watching her do my nails I do them myself. Its not very difficult. I highly recommend using a nail polish called Nails for Males. It's stronger and formulated not to chip, since men are harder on their hands than woman. If you apply a ridge filler first your nails will look very rich.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
It is certainly heartening to see that so many understand such an important part of close-up work.
Frankly, I am sick and tired of having to put up with so-called performers who have grimy or chewed fingernails, dirty hands, body odor, bad breath, stained and/or wrinkled clothes -- egad, the list goes on and on!
If you aspire to be a professional then that means you should care intensely about everything from your skills to the appearance of you and your props.
Otherwise, you're just a bum that does tricks!
Smile
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Right on Peter, tell it like how it is brother lol.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Yyyaaaa Peter... I was hoping someone might mention that part. I was kind of getting to that with the greasy dirty mat, but didn't want to come out and say it.

Wouldn't dirty greasy garage clothes and hands kind of make that person a "Garage Magician" kind of like a garage band?

I had a passing meeting with Mr. Gates back in 1997 when he had not showered in a week or so. I guess he has enough money to do that. Very unpleasant.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
Never had a manicure, but my nails look great. There is a product sold anywhere that nail care products are sold. It is 3 way buffer. Half of one side is like a file. It takes down the nail to a smooth clean surface. The other half of the same size is finer & smoothes it out. The other side is a buffer to bring out the shine. It is only a couple of bucks & works wonders. If you desire even more shine after that, buy a polishing compound & use a buffer. It looks much better than polish & there is nothing on your nails to chip, scratch or yellow
shobley
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
81 Posts

Profile of shobley
I use the liquid nail strengthener daily, and always keep a manicure set in my close up bag.

I've stopped getting professional manicures as my nails remain in pretty good condition, but I've taken to wearing gloves when working out, gardening or anything that might result in my sustaining a hand injury.

Steve
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Just curious...how much is the going rate for a manicure. My ex-wife used to spend a bundle on her nails, but she had the fake ones, and all that.

When I go someplace to have my nails done, do I just ask for a "manicure"? Or do I need to be more specific?

Obvious questions, I'm sure. But I've never had my nails done. Guess I need to start!

Thanks for any help.

Ron Reid
Jason London
View Profile
Loyal user
Napa Valley
207 Posts

Profile of Jason London
Greetings,

Yep, just ask for a Manicure. You may get some strange looks, but tell em what you do. The place I go to knows me, so it's not a big deal anymore.

Probably will run you about 12 Dollars. 15 with a tip. Smile
Jason London

This space for rent
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Ya I just had one yesterday.. it was 15 with a tip exactly... of course... everytime I go in the asian lady asked me if I'm married yet and giggles with her younger friend... hmmmm... that's why I try not to go all too often lol
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
SKILL
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
145 Posts

Profile of SKILL
Hi to all
to take care of your appearance is very important amigos.
I have to say that a very high percent of the people who are seated at a table are watching the hands all along and if you have a good Ring with something different and mystic you leave them very happy to see your performance
Smile
In order to arrive at perfeccion
you must go through the failure
Japanese Thoughts
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
I think a ring is actually sometimes distracting.. especially if you have a friggin pimp flashy ring LOL
SKILL
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
145 Posts

Profile of SKILL
this is your opinion Ben
not mine
I always have a ring on each hand one is the
-(roza cruses) ring
-IBM ring tipe.
PEASE FOR ALL Smile
In order to arrive at perfeccion
you must go through the failure
Japanese Thoughts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Manicures (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL