We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » My Intruduction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaypoc
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jaypoc
Hello all. I just want to introduce myself as I'm new to Magic Café (and fairly new to using the Internet as a tool to educate myself in the magical arts and to network with in the community).

I am 29 now, but I have been a magic enthusiast since I was very young (less than 10 years old). Among my first tricks, were the Magic Coloring Book, a Dove pan, and a reall cool mentalist trick that I can't recall the name of (though it used a gimmicked chalkboard with 3 covers and a Svengali deck to force one of the predictions.)

There was a magic shop fairly close to my home (I live on Long Island, NY) so now and then, my parents would take me there and buy me a trick, but those visits were very rare and I never had the opportunity to work with any well known, or skilled professional magicians.

My first (and unfortunately, my only) performance was in front of the congregation at my Temple. I even set the theme to my Bar Mitzvah as "Magic" and decorated with hats, wands and of course, bunnies. We even hired a magician to work the tables during the cocktail hour. Since then I have always maintained an interest, and occaisionally picked up a trick or two but it went somewhat on the backburner.

A few months ago I rekindled my interest in magic in general and decided that instead of picking up all gimmick-based tricks, I wanted to build some skills so that I could perform effects and illusions no matter where I was. Working on this, I decided to specialize in card magic. I've learned that the road to card magic is not simple, but certainly satisfying when you can pick up any deck of cards and amaze people.

At the recommendations of many people, I have been reading Royal Road to Card Magic. I'm still a beginner and while I am far from "good", I can do some basic moves and a few tricks.

I have recently had the privilege of seeing a performance by Simon Lovell in his stage show, Strange and Unusual Hobbies, and was able to attend lecture given by Darwin Ortiz here in New York City. Both were very entertaining and I found Ortiz's lecture to be very informative, Granted, I may not be able to reproduce his handling just yet, but some of the psychology and presentation detais he shared I found invaluable.

I look foward to sharing ideas and opinions with other magicians, both amateur and professional, and hope to up there helping newcomers get started and sharing experiences with the pros.
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
Wow Jaypoc - very nice introduction of yourself. Thank you for telling us about yourself.

Welcome to the Café.
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Jaypoc,

Thanks for coming to my show ... I hope you enjoyed it!

Simon
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
Great introduction! Glad your passion for magic came back Smile I think that happens a lot!

Pleasure to have you here at the Café!

Tanner
Jaypoc
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jaypoc
Simon - I did. The show was great. Very entertaining and your card handling is great. As I have been recently studying them, I was able to follow along some of your sleights, but your card handling is very good. I was entertained and very impressed. Thank you for a great show.

MagiCanada/TannerJade - Thanks for the warm welcome.
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
327 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Welcome to the Café!
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » My Intruduction (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL