The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Regurgitation of tools? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
brock2621
View Profile
New user
Kentucky
22 Posts

Profile of brock2621
I know that some poeple can "regurgitate" things and others can actually regurgitate objects. I was basically curious as to how exactly this is done or how this talent can be learned.

And just for entertainment value... if you havent seen this guy before he's quite incredible Smile

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q17vspD7jho&a......urgitate
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Your born in that special way.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Stevie is a superb performer, one of the most creative I know. He's also a delight to work with, and audiences think so too!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
team buzz
View Profile
New user
Doncaster, England
4 Posts

Profile of team buzz
You can use a techniqe called Biofeedback which allows you to control your gag reflex. Search Gag reflex and Biofeedback on google, that may help.
-Team Buzz
You don't get into magic, magic gets into YOU - David Blaine
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
That sugger trick was amasing!!
Could any one tell me were I could learn that?
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
There is a story in many of the Houdini biographies that Houdini learned about regurgitation techniques from a Hindi magician he met when he worked in a circus.

The story goes that he was taught the technique by swallowing a small potato which was tied to a piece of string! Swallow the potato and pull it up again! Not sure if this is just folklore, but I do recall seeing a picture of a metal egg shaped object, possibly in one of the Houdini auction catalogs, which was listed as a "hiding place for lock picks or tools" which could have been swallowed and then regurgitated.

If anyone has anything to add to this story, I'd certainly like to hear it.

Using this information, Stevie Starr would make a great escapologist.

He's been around for years over here in the UK, but not seen on the TV for about 10 years. His appearance has changed a lot, and at first I thought it was someone else. A unique peformer.
brock2621
View Profile
New user
Kentucky
22 Posts

Profile of brock2621
I bet swallowing something and pulling it up with a string over and over would help you designate which muscles are working and try to train those to help. Sounds interesting. Does anybody have any ideas on where one can hide tools in their mouths and still talk normally?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Brock, I could answer you, but I think that trial and error will serve you better since no two of us have the same shape mouth or comfort tollerances. Give it a shot, and you will find out fast what works for you and what doesn't.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Guys all I can say is get the Malhandras needle routine manuscript (not sure on spelling can t dg it out right now). That goes into swallowing needles then thread …. Then regurgitating them threaded! Nice routine works well and impresses the hell out of people I read that Houdini used to use this routine. Not sure if that is true.

I heard about a regurgitater doing a show at Coventry University – the fish came back dead! And he had to keep putting his fingers in the water and wiggling it to make it look alive! Good for a laugh!

I recall a lecture at university about sampling gut bacteria. It involved an absorbent “sponge” inside a pellet that was open at one end that was attached to a thin “string”. Basically it goes in to the nose and in to the back of the throat then swallowed. The reason for going in through the nose as I recall is that it is easier to get it back up that way. This is used with volunteers (not sure who would do that). They swallow it leave it down for about 5 mins then pull it back up. The trick apparently was to get them to use the gag reflex to bring it back up. Presumably whilst being ready to jump sideways. The gag reflex will be useful for getting the item back out. But down its about swallowing and not triggering it.

Any way you have to be mad to try! But that’s what they say about escapology, and fire breathing. There are LOTS of better places to hide tools (especially bolt croppers!!!! Smile ) I have 2 very special places! No other escapologist has them as far as I know? I think I am unique!
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I cant offer much on this topic as I cant even stick a finger down my throat (At least I know I am not Buleamic -sp-). I read that Houdini actually learned that from the chinese Magician (Chung Ling Foo or Soo - the real chinese one and not the fake-). I personally think it is myth though. He had better places to hide things.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I've never seen Stevie perform before this video, and oh boy is this guy cool!!!

I wish I could've been in the room when the careers person came to his school.

Careers Person:- "So Steven, what do you want to do when you leave school?"

Stevie:- "Well I'd like to swallow objects that one really should not be swallowing, tell a few gags and them bring the objects back up again!"

Does he have a website? Where is he performing these days?

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
ROTFLMAO!!!
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-08-03 08:37, Roslyn wrote:
Does he have a website?

Fan site: http://www.steviestarr.com/
More videos: http://www.steviestarr.com/videos_and_ph......otos.php
More info/videos: http://www.andrewferguson.net/2005/02/23......gitator/
Good Article: http://www.eye.net/eye/issue/issue_11.06......dy6.html
Another good article: http://www.andrewferguson.net/2006/02/22/stevie-starr/

Quote:
On 2006-08-03 08:37, Roslyn wrote:
Where is he performing these days?

Tour dates: http://www.ukstars.co.uk/starr-dates.php

There are a few stunts that he does that to me point to a trick somehow being involved instead of a "talent," such as the swallowing of a mini rubik's cube and regurgitating it solved, or swallowing a ring and a padlock and a key and having the key come back on the padlock. There is obviously no way to make your stomach or any internal muscles do those feats, so there must be a switch somewhere or something - don't ask me what it is or how it happens because I have no idea, but I think there is more here than meets the eye. It's a fantastic act, but I have to wonder what is up his sleeve, or down his throat or whatever...
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Bob Clayton
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Bob Clayton
This reminds me of the sword swallower, Johnny Fox. I've seen Johnny perform several times at the Maryland RenFest over the years and its always a fun act to watch. He has a similar but slightly different routine with a balloon that is hilarious.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Johhny's another great entertainer, very creative!

"Mahendra" is the spelling, and his needle routine, published around 1920, is superb.

Some of the things Stevie does, such as the lock and key, are traditional sideshow magic. What he's done, however, is to give the old things a very different twist. He's taken a special ability, and combined it with traditional things, and the result is brilliant.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Harley Newman said "Mahendra" is the spelling, and his needle routine, published around 1920, is superb”

I have the manuscript for that and have performed it several times! It is fantastic! It really grosses people out. My wife hates it and can’t bring herself to watch (after the first time) and she has read the manuscript so knows what is going on.

It is fantastic! I would advise getting it if you can.
jfox
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of jfox
Thanks for the compliment Harley. You're not so bad yourself
Great job you're doing sharing your wisdom. Very generous!
needledoc
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of needledoc
Where can one find the manuscript for this needle routine?
needledoc
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of needledoc
Where can one find the manuscript for this needle routine?
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Try googling it. or find out the title of the book. it might help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Regurgitation of tools? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL