The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » What are back-stage people allowed to see or not to see? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Bonnie Kids
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden (Västerås)
267 Posts

Profile of The Bonnie Kids
When we discuss bout ethics it's always about copies or copying.
I have some other ethical issues, one of those is the following:
how do you act towards the "back-stage" people that are NOT your people? Do you put some requirements on them or do you just let see them what happens (and what they should not see)?

// Andrea
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Realy depends on what there is to see. Also magic isn't usualy ment to stand up to repeated scrutiny, however you must rehearse. This is a very circumstandtial question. I think the answer is that you do the absolute best you can to maintain secrecy, but if you feel there is an issue you make a statement to the Tech crew and other performers about the secrecy of magic. Be very polite about it.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2909 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
This is a strange situation. Over here in the U.S., stage crews have generally seen everything and couldn't care less about the "secrets." To most of these people, a trap door is a trap door and a cable drum is a cable drum. In a union house, where they are the ones who have to do the rigging, they need to know what goes where. In other words, a magic show is just another show that uses stage technology.

The bigger problem is other performers on the same show, or volunteer crews that tend to just hang out backstage. Back when I used to perform, I was just basically very matter-of-fact about it, set up my stuff, smiled, and kept my distance when I had to. Most people realized what I was doing and respected it. Occasionally I would suggest to somebody that they go out front so they could see the show better, and they usually got the idea.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hi there, I have never had any real problems with any house crews. They are doing a job and typically too busy to go snooping. I have had more problems doing local charity shows with my club. The club memebers that are there felt that because they know me and are helping backstage its ok to go through myself....not ok!!!! Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
The Bonnie Kids
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden (Västerås)
267 Posts

Profile of The Bonnie Kids
Oh yes, when I said back-stage I meant any type of people, even the non-professional ones, that can appear anytime.
Personally I am very "strict" and If I feel that cannot control those people (it's too late for instance) then I change my show and choose some other tricks that can be performed even with people behind.
Here there is one theory, and I wanted to see what your mind was about that: "who cares if one or few got you, important is the other 99% of the audience".
I have never been able to digest this, and maybe this is a my limitation, but I always try to avoid to put myself in situations where someone could get me.
Sometimes I feel very frustrated when I see some street artists/magicians performing some good stuff from the front, but from the rear or side the audience perfectly sees the palming and so on. I really feel sorry for me as magician. The performer is probably happy because the shows runs well, nobody listens to them, but as I said, I feel sorry.

Is that also "ethics"?

Andrea
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I disagree. We do our very best not to expose, and rightfuly so, but there comes a time and a place where the show must go on. I personaly do not believe you should ever venture away from your script, unless it is an oportunity. Avoiding someone who is not where they should be is not an oportunity. Sertainly change the script for future performances, should you feel that it is a problem that is likely to reoccour, but never "last minute" like that. There are many ways to deal with problems like the one you allude to, but changing your show at the spur of the moment, simply should not be one of them. Don't worry about the guy who snuck back stage. Concentrate on the audience who came to see the show. They are the only ones that matter.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Once someone is on a crew or has a job backstage, what could they care about our petty secrets?

At least if they have self respect. It's part of their job to assist the show, not to be a copyist.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » What are back-stage people allowed to see or not to see? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL