The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Dry Ice In Mouth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
I saw Jim Rose perform a stunt in which he places dry ice into his mouth and blows smoke rings. It was quite effective with spiel on how it burns flesh, how cold it is etc.

Has anyone ever performed this? I have just been offered a supply of dry ice and would like to put this in an act.

Tim
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
This is a simple one. All you need to do is keep the dry ice moving in your mouth. For the best effect, exhale slowly. Put the ice in your mouth and take it out with much drama, using gloves or tongs. To make an act out of it takes a lot of presentation without a lot of result... How do you plan to store it?
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
Cheers Slim, I think I read a post about this on your discussion group some time ago.

I can order it in time for a performance from my university, although it would really have to arrive on the day. Unfortunately, apart from a home freezer to make it last a little longer, I don't have access to anywhere cold enough to make it really last.

I'm looking in to buying it over the counter as delivery is expensive.

Tim
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Nice effect with a little presentation. Actally, like fire-eating, the product itself provides the cushion. The gas (CO2) is between the tongue and the ice.
We in the sideshow arts love people like you who believe things ain't so... Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
magical_kid
View Profile
New user
Pakistan,Karachi
21 Posts

Profile of magical_kid
What if it gets stuck on your tongue? What if? Will it ever come out?
MK
jennieprice
View Profile
Regular user
Quartzsite, Az
118 Posts

Profile of jennieprice
As sanscan has said, if you keep it moving, it won't stick!!! Yes, you really can put dry ice in your mouth, no it won't stick.
Why do you find it hard to believe that it can be done?

Jennieprice.

P Smile
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
If by some crazy chance it did get caught on your tongue, you would find yourself with some bad "burns". It would come off as soon as it fully sublimated though.
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
It is also possible to put your hand in liquid nitrogen! Briefly of course! The gas produced by the boiling liquid provides the cushion in this case.

At least these posts show that the dry ice stunt can be effective in the eyes of the uninitiated!!

Tim
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Profile of Dark illusionist
hmm interesting. I really over looked this stunt when I saw John Shaw perform it. Now my only questions are about the Theature fx dry ice maker. Is it any good? Is it easy to use? will the dry ice last? A science teacher told me the best way to store dry ice is in a small cooler that is inside of a larger cooler.

While I know nothing about this stunt I can tell you that it is a good idea to learn this with a small peace of dry ice first so if you don't know how to keep the dry ice moving correctly you not completely screwed. As you get more comfortable build up the size of the dry ice until it is at a size that works for you. Just my $.02

Jonathan
Check out my brand new website:

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Most places that sell cylinder gas (helium, oxygen, carbon dioxide) will also sell dry ice. A couples of small chips are all you need, the effect is easily overdone. Dry ice, for those who don't know, is also the stuff used for making eerie bubbling, liquid potions. You might try "mouth palming" the ice, (don't swallow it!) and combine the effects. Drink the "evil potion" and then exhale "smoke"...
sanscan@tds.net

Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Nice idea. What if you went to drink out of a glass and spit the dry ice in it so the glass started to bubble?

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I'd worry about swallowing the dry ice! Not a good thing...
sanscan@tds.net

debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
My advice is start with a very and I mean very small piece and work your way up

and just like Clinton (dont inhale)

matt
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
Small piece on the tongue and keep it moving. You can blow smoke rings but what else can you do? I'll have to give this one a try.
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

I am Dieing to try this Smile I showed this topic to my dad awhile back and he didn't think it was too dangerous but my mom is always the stinker when it comes to the side show. So I haven't tried it yet. As soon as she doesn't have a say in things I will be in Dry ice heaven lol. The reason why I want to Try this so bad is because I love blowing smoke etc but I think cigarettes are the most disgusting thing man has ever invented. So I go outside when its cold and try to blow rings with just the condensation from my breath.

Wow I just ranted again I'm sorry

Jonathan

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
Quote:
On 2002-12-19 19:52, tim_mantis wrote:
It is also possible to put your hand in liquid nitrogen! Briefly of course! The gas produced by the boiling liquid provides the cushion in this case.

At least these posts show that the dry ice stunt can be effective in the eyes of the uninitiated!!

Tim

As long as you keep your hand moving, you can place your hand in liquid nitrogen for a significant amount of time (close to 10 seconds). It is possible to put liquid nitrogen in your mouth, but I would only do this briefly as well. For those of you who doubt this, try putting drops of water on a hot frying pan. What you see happen keeps your mouth from becoming frost bitten.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
My local grocery store also sells dry ice in a small block.

s
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I need to buy some for various reasons. This...and another experiment with water and a plastic bottle. Smile BOOM!!! Smile
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
For an eerie sound effect, try this:

Take an old fashioned can opener, the metal pointy kind with a bottle opener on the other end (sometimes referred to as a churchkey), and place the point of the opener on to the top of a piece of dry ice with the other end on the table.

Because of uneven cooling, the key will dance slightly and make a really eerie "brinngg" sound.

Not sure what use could be made of this, but it is pretty cool to do and watch.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
The Theatre Effects Dry Ice maker is effective, but it only makes small dry ice chips. Most grocery stores sell dry ice, in your state you may have to call around but you usually can find it in blocks by the pound. When storing dry ice, make sure it can breath or it will blow the container open or even apart. Use and store dry ice in a well ventilated space as it can sufficate you or others, including small animals.

For a cheap low fog effect, place a block of dry ice in front of a standard fog machine (also from Theatre Effects) and this will not only cool the fog but it will melt the dry ice. The finished result is low fog. Or you can buy an LSG (Low Smoke Generator) for about ten grand. If you have the money you should go that route...
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Dry Ice In Mouth (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL