The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » American Carny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yesterday was a big day for Todd Robbins, the first sort-of public screening of the documentary "American Carny", which is about him. It was directed and put together by Nick Basile.

If you think Todd has a larger than life quality, it's not just his height. He really IS that way. And on the screen of a movie theatre, he looks even bigger. But the movie manages to make him into a regular human being, who just happens to have an incredible and incurable passion for the slightly bizarre life he's chosen.

It's not just a series of clips of eating lightbulbs, jumping in broken glass, and shoving a couple feet of steel down his gullet. The movie's a friendly biography, beginning to present, that makes you want to know Todd, or know him better. Did some folks in the audience cringe at some of the stunts, peek through their fingers? Sure! But I bet they buy tickets to Todd's next public performance.

Interspersed with some great performance shots are side-stories about life. Todd as a child, proposing to and marrying Krista, his relationship with Melvin Burkhardt.

Those of you who know me personally, know that I'm sometimes (?) hypercritical about performance...what goes wrong, what goes right, how to make it work better, gain a better flow, show a clearer image. This movie gets zero criticism of that sort, from me. It tells the story in exactly the way it should be told.

A number of us were in the supporting cast, and some were in attendence last night. David Oliver, Chris McDaniel, The Great Nippulini, Ses Carny, and James Taylor (of Shocked and Amazed) were all there. Me too, and it was worth the drive.

For more information on the film, go to http://www.americancarny.com/home.htm

I'm not sure where and when it'll be available for public consumption, but watch for it!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Wow,

I can't wait to see this- when will it be released to the public?
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
YES!!!!!! I've been to the site before and was curious what was going on with it. The trailer looks AMAZING!!!!! I want to see it NOW or get a copy of the DVD or something.......!!! PLEASE Smile
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
It will be shown at the Coney Island Film Festival this October and perhaps we can arrange a screening at the Sideshow Gathering on Labor Day Weekend.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Dear Todd,

Let me add my voice to the many calling for a screening at the Sideshow Gathering.

Yours,

Paul
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
Where will the Sideshpw Gathering be held? Thanks in advance,

All the best,
John
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
The Sideshow Gathering will be held in conjuction with the Inkin' The Valley tattoo convention in Wilkes-Barre PA, Sept. 1-3.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Will there be a DVD (For us poor schmucks who can't get out there?)
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Do I get more than one vote?

If so:
The Sideshow Gathering
American Carny
The Sideshow Gathering
American Carny
The Sideshow Gathering
American Carny
The Sideshow Gathering
American Carny
The Sideshow Gathering
American Carny
The Sideshow Gathering
American Carny
The Sideshow Gathering
American Carny
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Great footage. I wait with baited breath for the DVD. Good job, Todd, Harley and the others.

Glenn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » American Carny (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL