The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Zimmer Egg Instructions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Hello,

I have seem to have lost the instructions that came with the Zimmer Egg I bought quite awhile back. Does anyone have a copy they can scan or fax to me? I really appreciate any help.

Thanks!
David
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I have it but got to search for it. Send me a PM with your email and I'll scan it and send it to you aas a pdf file when I find it. It may take a few days!
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I believe there's also a write-up on the Zimmer Egg in the 4th volume of the Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, that Mark Trimble wrote to go with the first 3 Rice volumes.
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
I was thinking of purchasing the Zimmer Egg routine at the magic factory, any thoughts?
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
I think it sucks there is better ways to do the sucker egg trick
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Again, another terrible crude and unhelpful post. Do you actually own and use this self-contained effect? Why don't you tell us why it isn't so good - and what other method you prefer? I have owned this for many years and providing you get the right type of egg, it is an excellent alternative to the other gaff method (popularized by the late Billy McComb)>
Also, your callous comment is a slight on DIck Zimmerman who is an excellent magician and has introduced many innovative effects to the magic world since the 1970's - such as Linking hula Hoops and the dancing ring.
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
Magicbern, is the "Zimmer Egg" available @ the magic factory the same effect that your talking about(silk to egg then crack the real egg into a glass), & if so what's your input on it?
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Yes, I bought it from Hank Lee many years ago. I find it a very self-contained alternative to the usual method of doing the Sucker Silk to Egg (such as Billy McComb and Michael Ammar). The reason why I like it is that you don't need to switch the egg and everything is complete - including the glass, hanky, fake etc. All you need provide is the real egg!

The only thing you lose is the sucker part where you can peel off the 'silk' and stick it to your forehead! But as I've said before, its a very viable alternate method for this great sucker effect. So I don't understand the above poster's 'comment'.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I have used the Zimmer egg with a slight modification for years. I purchased it directly from Dick Zimmerman at an A-1 convention in Sacramento. I DO use the sucker part of peeling off the 'hole' at the end before I break the egg open. I get tremendous response from audiences with this effect. As with any effect, there are other ways to do this...I just happen to be using the Zimmer one.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
Thanks you guys, appreciate the help very much.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
You're welcome! Its nice when a member actually acknowledges help that others have given through the Café. Although we're part of a cyber community but manners are always appreciated!
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
Yes I do have it and it is rubbish don’t bother. To tell you why I would have to explain the secret and I am not prepared to do that.
A little hint is that the containment area is far too small and therefore only a small silk can be stashed. If you are not comfortable with your slight of hand and really need a gimmick to perform this I would recommend the Vernon gimmicked egg over this one and NO I am not going to explain why.
P.S. the trick is called THE SUCKER EGG TRICK and therefore my post was tongue in cheek clever not crude as you suggest.
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
So by using words like 'sucks' and 'rubbish' you equate it with being 'tongue-in-cheek' and 'clever'. You're welcome to your opinion but to me using such phrases strikes me as being quite the opposite - unless you have the verbal skills of an adolescent.

Back to the topic, nobody has asked you to tip the gaff - and that's all the Zimmer Egg is, another gaffed way to do this age-old effect. I don't think a product put out by a respected and innovative magician need be ridiculed in this way, but again that's my opinion. I believe its a viable way to do the effect and its been part of my performing repertiore for a long time. I, for one, vouch for it.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Back to the topic, nobody has asked you to tip the gaff - and that's all the Zimmer Egg is, another gaffed way to do this age-old effect. I don't think a product put out by a respected and innovative magician need be ridiculed in this way, but again that's my opinion. I believe its a viable way to do the effect and its been part of my performing repertiore for a long time. I, for one, vouch for it.

HI,
Just because some one is respected does not mean they cannot be up for scrutiny or that everything they put out is good. if some one thinks something is rubbish then I am glad they are honest enough to say so. I did own the effect at one time and whilst I would not say its rubbish , I do not think it is a great method to perform this effect.
Phillip
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Mr. Jones, nobody has said that opinions aren't respected on this forum. However, there can be more polite and civil ways to express one's views - such as how you've voiced your own opinion on the worthiness of this effect. Being honest does not neccessitate being crass. However, if you interpret it otherwise and feel its perfectly alright then you're entitled to your view. By the same latitude afforded, I am entitled to mine too.
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
Your opinions do not change the fact that I and others believe there are much better ways of performing the sucker egg trick. There I tried to say it without offending your uptight opinion, I happen to be a person that does not mince my words or shy away from telling it like it is.
Too many people try and reinvent the wheel for profit what’s wrong with the classic method?
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I don't mince my words either but I choose to do so using words and phrases that are more appropriate and less offensive. If you find that as being 'uptight' then I'd much prefeer to be thought of as a literate and uptight person rather than a crude and offensive one.
There's nothing wrong with differing opinions, that's to be expected in open discussion forums. It's just that they can be expressed in better ways. However, what constitutes politeness vaires between people and cultures.
Mr. Zimmerman invented and marketed this version of an age-old trick in 1992 which is about 1/4 century ago. Even then, it wasn't a new one...So, Mr. Bloodyjack, what is the 'classic method' and who invented that? Or was it already in public domain? Before you draw accusations, perhaps illuminate the less knowledgeable among us as to the facts? I can only trace the trick back to Tarbell Vol 1, but was it around earlier than that? If so, our eminent Dr. Tarbell was one of those who, according to your post ' try and reinvent the wheel for profit'.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Let me correct the accuracy of my above post - the Zimmer Egg was marketed 14 years ago - and not 24 years ago.
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
I would class the Stodare egg as the classic sucker egg trick gimmick. Named after the English magician Colonel Alfred Stoddart 1831 - 1866 who made it popular but I believe it was around long before that.
For the less knowledgeable that would be a hollow egg with a hole in it to stuff the silk into.
As far as I am aware Tarbell did not market an egg gimmick.
P.S. a TT will fit a bigger silk than the zimmer gimmick and give you a switch free method with something you already have in your magic box.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Thank you Mr. Bloodyjack for the above information on the obscure origins of this classic trick. I'm glad we could stop the developing feud on which method is better for the trick. I appreciate that not everyone agrees with the Zimmer Egg method and all I can say is 'to each his own'. Thanks again for your input to this thread and my sincere apologies for the somewhat abrasive attitude that I have exhibited.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Zimmer Egg Instructions (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL