The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Dice trick - let's invent a really good dice trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
I don't know any good trick with dices. Dr. Sacks dice trick is nice but it is more a puzzle than magic - obviously to most spectators it is performed by sleight of hands.
A good trick should bring out the special feature of dices. So it should not be for example just an object that travells from one hand to the other, because this could be done with any object.

In this forum are many creative brains, so let's create a good new dice routine together.

These questions arise

1) What should it look like?
2) How should it be realized?

ad 1) Perhaps: I shake three dices in a dice cup, then I ask a spectator for a number between 3 and 18 and then she may lift the cup, and the sum of the three dices is the selected number.

ad 2)??? (Offering a card with the wanted number would be to trivial!)

Let's collect ideas in this thread!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Here are some sources for ideas:
Paul Gertner's "Triple Die-Lema". It's like a benson bowl routine with dice and a hat and a wand. Not only does it have a surprise large die kicker, it also has a huge die load at the end, like a hat load for the cups and balls.

Barry Govan has a great dice stacking routine complete with patter around a gambling theme. Color changes, a prediction, and dice end up in a coin purse at the end.

Charlie Frye has a matrix routine with dice that is quite nifty.

Daryl has a matrix routine that uses dice and a dice cup instead of cards.

A chop cup routine is do-able with dice too.

Personally, I really like the benson bowl idea and am wondering how this might be done with a cup instead of a hat.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Dr Sacks a puzzle??This trick has is a classic it has stood alone for over 50 years....In the right hands this is a miracle not a puzzle..
aother effectd chink a chink woth dice and dice matrix.....
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Re: puzzle.
Again on one of Daryl's fooler dooler's videos, his finale is geared toward this possible notion that "slight-of-hand" is done. The last phase in his routine is great. It's done in the other routines too but his emphasis makes it great.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Angelo wants:

Quote:
On 2006-06-28 14:30, Angelo the magician wrote:

A good trick should bring out the special feature of dices. So it should not be for example just an object that travells from one hand to the other, because this could be done with any object.

These questions arise

1) What should it look like?
2) How should it be realized?

ad 1) Perhaps: I shake three dices in a dice cup, then I ask a spectator for a number between 3 and 18 and then she may lift the cup, and the sum of the three dices is the selected number.

ad 2)??? (Offering a card with the wanted number would be to trivial!)

Let's collect ideas in this thread!

There are a few different types of dice.
Where to start??
http://membres.lycos.fr/arjan/

A Google for "dice tricks" turned up some sites. Maybe ideas there.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
A brand new dice effect is called "Making Your Point" by Gregg Webb. It's only available at the Fantasma magic store in New York City.

Rolling a pair of dice, the magician teaches the audience the rules of craps. Of course, he wins at each roll and the odds keep building.

The effect can be repeated and everything is tabled afterward for examination.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Hey Jaz, I'm trying out one of your desktop do-dah's on my computer.
The gambling theme.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Your first question was, "What should it look like?" My answer is, "Del Ray's dice magic."
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Thank you everybody!
Frank, you have many ideas, but I like to have a trick (you know, my english is not so well) where the speciality of dices is used. A chink a chink or a chop cup for example you can perform with any little object. But dices have numbers and anybody who use a dice uses it for rolling and getting numbers by random. And we are magicians, we can influence this random!(?)

And to the gentleman from vinsmagic: Dr Sacks is entertaining, it is nice, but you don't leave your audience without an explanation. They are very amused, entertained, okay, but they are not not really baffled.

Angelo
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
Quote:
But dices have numbers and anybody who use a dice uses it for rolling and getting numbers by random. And we are magicians, we can influence this random!(?)

Hello Angelo,

That's the whole point of Gregg Webb's trick Making Your Point. The magician controls the rolls of the dice to his advantage. It's a perfect fit for a gambling routine.

You can contact Gregg at http://feenx.net for more information.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-06-28 21:34, Larry Davidson wrote:
Your first question was, "What should it look like?" My answer is, "Del Ray's dice magic."
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The magic is in you, not the dice. There is so much material out there with dice it is amazing.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Fernando Keops has a really cool matrix with dice, that end up in a box that sits in the center of the formation. Last I looked, nobody knew where to get the box, or even what the exact name of the box was called.

Does anybody have any info on the box?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Here's info on his DVD
http://www.theambitiouscard.com/details.......DFK3PURE

I've never seen it.

The nice thing about chink-a-chink or matrix with dice is that the die with the correct pip can go travel. Daryl does a good job of showing this.

There is also a booklet called "dice dexterity" but I don't remember what is in it.
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Frank, thank you, I know the effect, you are right!

Peter Biro, my english is to bad to exactly tell you what I want to say, but I will try:

You generate a demand in me or you make me hungry! You tell me, "there exists food", but you didn't tell me, where!

Best regards from Vienna, the town of Hofzinser, Mozart and of course

Angelo
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
"Unfair Shake" by Horace Bennett is a fantastic dice routine...it can be found in the Art of Close-Up Magic by Lewis Ganson!

Mike
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
Let's not forget "It's the Rules" by Bob Sheets. I use it in the middle of my dice routine, proceded by gaffed dice and followed with dice stacking.
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Mike Gallo, thank you very much - you are right, a really good routine. And it is more logical to use dices instead of balls with a cup.

But what I'm looking for or want to invent together with some creative minds is a dice-trick where the speciality of a dice, that is its numbers, play the improtant part, not the colors or their size.

Kind regards!

Angelo
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Angelo,

Here's an possible effect using dice:

Shake two dice in a dice cup and turn it over without revealing the numbers. Give a participant two other dice and a dice cup and have them shake up the dice and roll them out onto the table-revealing the two numbers on top. Have the participant then lift up your dice cup covering your two dice only to discover a match with their dice. Repeat again using the same dice and get a different result each time.

Don't have a clue how to actually do this (without switching gaffed dice in and out) but I offer it to "get the dice rolling" as we brainstorm together to create a routine that takes advantage of the dice and the dice numbers.

Is this the type of response (and dice effect) you were looking for? If so, run with it and give us your ideas next as you build upon the initial effect.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Turk,

very good!
Now we have to find a solution! First we have to know what numbers we rolled.

Angelo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Dice trick - let's invent a really good dice trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL