The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Help choosing a new book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
Hi all,

I prefer magic books featuring tricks that rely on subtleties more than on sleights. My favorites in my collection are Card Magic of Nick Trost, Effortless Card Magic by Peter Duffie, Constant Fooling 1 & 2 by David Regal, and Dear Mr. Fantasy by John Bannon. These are great books and I'm still learning the tricks in them. But I'm on the lookout for more of this type.

Can you recommend other books like these -- light on the complicated sleights, heavy on the mystery and subtlety?

Thanks!

-Dave
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Matinex, my neighbor, what do you mean by tricks that rely on 'sublteties' rather than sleights?
Steve V <---San Jose
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
Hi Steve,

Maybe that's the wrong word. I guess I'm just seeking books with tricks that require few sleights, such as the Nick Trost book. False counts, DLs, holding breaks, that kind of stuff is OK. But faro shuffles, palming, stuff like that is out of my reach right now.

Thanks for any suggestions

-David
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
Any of the Aldo Colombini books, booklets, etc. fit the bill. Particularly "CardsDotCom", "Baroque Cards", "Card Trips" and "What's Up Deck".

Also much of the J.K. Hartmann material would qualify. His available books are "Trickery Treats" and "After Craft"
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Maybe steve beam's books?
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
D Byrd
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
229 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
Aldo's Simply Impromtu 2

Steve Beam's Semi-Automatic Card Tricks Volumes 1-5
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
How about Earl Nelson's Variations?
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
An absolute MUST is Mike Powers new book. One of the best books in the past couple years, high recommendations for Mikes book
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
delta
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of delta
Duffie card conspiracy 1 and 2
all books by simon aronson (specially try the impossible)
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Card Conspiracy Vol. 1 - 2 - Peter Duffie
Effortless Card Magic - Peter Duffie
Power Plays - Mike Powers
Random Acts of magic - David Acer

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
Hey everybody, thanks for the great suggestions! I appreciate the recommendations.

-Dave
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I just have to say that I am a little more than half way through Aldo Colombini's "Card Trips" and it is excellent! Wonderful, magical routines which require very basic sleights! Some really clever stuff in there. I highly recommend this book if you want some practical card magic.

Also, Aldo is selling everything on his website for $10. Videos, books, tricks, everything. Great stuff!

http://www.wildcolombini.com
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
landon
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of landon
Cameron,
Thanks for mentioning that website!!! I had no idea he had that sale going on. I'm definately going to stock up on some of Aldo's stuff now! I owe you one now!

In terms of books, I'll throw in the Magic of Michael Ammar if and Uncovered. The Ammar book gives an assortment of allaround magic while Uncovered is mostly cards but both are great and not too hard IMO.

Landon
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
"What's Up Deck" by Aldo Colombini

Check out David Acer's books as well.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Darwin is in the works of reprinting cardshark
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
Barrett,
Cardshark is fairly sleight heavy with lots of faro work for the best effects.

To matinex: learning the top palm is imo an essential sleight and really isn't that hard. Faroing, whilst not essential, allows for some of the best gambling effects, and isn't that hard if you read a good description and get practising.

The one handed top palm was the first sleight I learn't (bar the charlier cut and overhand shuffle), so it really truly honestly isn't very hard.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I would second Steve Beam's books and David Acer has the ablity to get full mileage out of the simplest of slights!! And Card College Light is a helpful little book as well.

RevJohn
peculiarone
View Profile
Veteran user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
324 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
I think Simon Aronson's books deal more with subtleties than sleights
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Help choosing a new book (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL