The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Criss Angel #1 gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
868 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
I just can't find in the Penguin store Criss # 1 gimmick

Can you help me?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/browse.php?searchString=stooge

Best

Las
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea his number one gimick is a "spectator stooge".

Followed closely by, "camera editing"

try searching those and see if it helps.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Hehe... that's true... but I'm not sure why so many people are so bothered by it.

I think people forget what the essence of magic is... it's performing, it's entertaining. Everyone uses different things to achieve that end. Some use card sleights, some use gimmicks, some use misdirection... and Criss uses a lot of Stooges. It's a tried and true method. Magician's have been using stooges forever.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I really wish that everyone that complained about stooges would go yell at Copperfield. He's been using them much longer than Criss. Stooges have been used forever. It's not like Criss has done anything new here.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
mrnavyblue
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of mrnavyblue
I agree with danny,

remeber criss angel isn't a show for magicians, its a show for mr joe blogs on the street to entertain them. magicians are always a tough crowd to perform for because we become so critical, the people don't have to know its stooges. and I remeber a qoute from the mind freak series 1 when criss goes ' a lot of what I do is completly real, there are notricks, it really is the mind body and spirit connection, and a lot of what I do is an illusion its up to you to determine whats real and whats illusion.' I think that says it all really

and hes right it is an illusion, its not real but it happens in a way that you think it is, as you know.

but yeah on the other hand stooges are a bit disapointing to see on a good trick ... but whos gonna know that :-p
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
868 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
LOL. No one should take so seriously this whole Criss Angel story. Danny got the joke. Smile
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Stooges and I have a love/hate relationship....I think TV uses way too many of them....I refer you to the Osterlind thread somewhere deep in the bosom of penny for thoughts......an intruiging 20pg debate over this issue....maybe ill find it and give the link....

boo. tv magic....
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
A stooge is like a TT or any other gimmick.

You have to have some degree of skill to use one without getting caught.

It's not the stooges that are the problem.

Rob
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
I agree, but I think the stooge has also become at once a scapegoat in this modern tv magic...geez if that's all it takes is 80-90% stooges then somebody PLEASE give me a show.....

let us just recall the Masters of old who worked their *** off to make thier magic and art, not a j-o-b...
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-06-30 13:33, Gede Nibo wrote:
Stooges and I have a love/hate relationship....I think TV uses way too many of them....I refer you to the Osterlind thread somewhere deep in the bosom of penny for thoughts......an intruiging 20pg debate over this issue....maybe ill find it and give the link....

boo. tv magic....

please find that link
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Now that someone cares...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15 heres one, this is the one that spawned Osterlinds, if I recall...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=82 and here his...admittedly its re: pre show work, but it covers all the bases...one of the best threads ever on the subjects...even though I think I was thrown out by Osterlind himself Smile all in a days work,...

sorry if I hijacked the thread...
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Any readers should be aware that often, in the case of of heated thread, the moderators will change or delete offending posts. In the above instance, some of the things said to me were either tamed down or removed entirely while my responses were not, leaving me sounding a bit unreasonable at times. This is why I choose not to involve myself anymore in any discussions of this type on The Magic Café.

Richard
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Gede Nibo Why is it "a good days work"? Kind of sounds like you enjoyed that a bit to much.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2006-07-01 09:43, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Any readers should be aware that often, in the case of of heated thread, the moderators will change or delete offending posts. In the above instance, some of the things said to me were either tamed down or removed entirely while my responses were not, leaving me sounding a bit unreasonable at times. This is why I choose not to involve myself anymore in any discussions of this type on The Magic Café.

Richard

But you sure browse the Hell outta it...geez, how'd youfind this thread Smile

and other guy, don't worry about what I said,...all in a days work is what I said....interpret it hopw you wish....
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Im glad we can all voice our personal opinions here, that's what makes DNA great.

I am against stooge work personally but that is just me. There is a difference between a set up stooge and one you have to use as an assistant though. Look at "Gut Buster." How can one perform it and not use a stooge?

On Criss, he is so adamant about not using set ups and camera editing though. I hear him say it over and over each episode. Smile
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2006-07-01 12:18, Gede Nibo wrote:
Quote:

Richard

and other guy, don't worry about what I said,...all in a days work is what I said....interpret it hopw you wish....

Actually, I browse my name on the Café whenever I have to time to see if anyone has any questions about my videos and materials that I might be helpful with. That happens quite often.

And, yes, your line, "all in a day's work" is very illuminating.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-07-01 12:18, Gede Nibo wrote:
Quote:

Richard

Gede what is your deal? I just said it sounds like you enjoyed that alittle to much. That is all. NOthing more and nothing less. You obviously do enjoy it though look how quick you are to jump down Osterlinds throat or anybody that backs him up. You sound like you have some rage or Jealousy problems.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok let me clear up a couple things. Stooges are not like a TT. Notice how you use initials for TT and can say stooge? See the difference? People KNOW of stooging.

I don't have problems with stooging or camera editing. My problem comes in when it is the ONLY way a trick can be done. When it is obvious. Then it is idiotic.

Case in point. Harry Anderson's Hello Sucker special. He used both stooges and camera editing to do a trick. NOBODY in the magic community knew, and certianly nobody in the laity.

That is the key. A TT is used and nobody knows. A stooge is used and it is the only solution. It is obvious. For example all the people in the pool for that water walking thing looked like GQ models. Why is that? Where are the people I usually see at the pool?

Don't tell me people don't notice that because they do.

So my problem is not the stooges, it is the way they are used. LIke I would complain if he used a TT really badly. Oh wait he DID!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Whatever man, I LOVE OSTERLIND AND EVERY SINGLE THING IVE READ AND LEARNED FROM HIM...

AND WAS JOKING WHEN I SAID '..HOW YOU FIND THIS THREAD..."

AND FINALLY 'ALL IN A DAYS WORK' SIMPLY MEANS DEBATE IS WHAT I LOVE TO DO--NOT IN A NEG. FASHION, BUT SIMPLY DEBATE....AND HENCE ALL IN A DAYS WORK--I ALWAYS GET IN "TROUBLE" FROM YOU PEOPLE, BUT LOVE IT ALL STILL...

as you can see...I always end up like this...

BACK TO THE CASE IN POINT...
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
The way I see it, they should have replaced Chriss Angel with an actor, who can actually act. Then the use of stooges would be okay. Then, we would call them co-actors.

It's a television show. It's like seeing a movie about magic. It has nothing to do with the real thing anymore.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Criss Angel #1 gimmick (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL