The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Ross Bertram Cups just sold for $2025 at Martinka auction! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Wow - you needed a stopwatch to time that auction! Now you see them...
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Good luck Pete.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Hi Frank - you must have blinked! Smile The auction ended within a couple of minutes - sold for $1500!

- and that Ramsay thimble went too. I'm getting slow.

Anyway, nice one Pete.

Do you reckon that article in Forbes about collecting magic props has anything to do with these bids? There were some impressive prices reached in the latest Martinka auction (Martinka was featured in the Forbes article).

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Pete done real good in that one!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
I wonder if the person who bought Pete's RB cups was the guy who lost out in the bidding war for the RB cups in the Martinka auction.

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I believe that is the case.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
I wonder how many serious cup collectors there really are out there. Reason I ask is that for a helleva long time now a number of very limited editions of cups of the very first quality have still not sold out (e.g the Sherwood "Ten only" limited edition silver sets; and the copper cups from Johnson Products -limited to 25). I would have thought that the Sherwoods, in particular, would be on most "must have" lists and yet they are still available notwithstanding the very, very small quantities that were available to begin with. Does this indicate that those of us who are cup collectors make up a very, very small population of not more than a dozen or two?

Fortasse
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2180 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-07-04 23:12, fortasse wrote:
I wonder if the person who bought Pete's RB cups was the guy who lost out in the bidding war for the RB cups in the Martinka auction.

Fortasse

Nope, someone else bought them Smile
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
I think with the Sherwoods, a lot of people went with the engraved cups or just the copper and brass cups (for their workers), The smooth cups, although priced lower than the engraved, were still expensive enough to rule out a lot of purchases for people who probably wanted to collect the engraved ones first... and then, there are the unlucky folks like myself who tried to get one of the smooth sterling silvers (all silver), but they were sold out. I got one of the silver/golds and one of the all gold plated silvers, but the all silvers were in fact gone..... Then for me, you add in the cost of getting chopped cups in every variety that is available given manufacturing restrictions....it gets expensive no matter how much of a collector any of us want to be.

Now, more than ever, we have a number of neat cups hitting the market.... To me, it is like collecting anything else of value...we can only collect what our resources allow us (no matter how serious we are), and then we have to either be able to maintain that collection through some other means or let the collecting become a business... To a true collector, we usually have to begin to develop depth much more than breadth... I also collect coins, but to try to collect all coins, is just too much time and resources to try to cover all varieties.... For me, I utlimately have to choose.......but I still consider myself a serious collector..... by the way, if anybody has a Sherwood smooth sterling (all silver) set for sale, let me know. Smile
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
A good chunk of money but strangely enough worth far more if you know what they are really worth. This will be proven next time they sell. Unless the new owner pawns 'em! What I mean by this is the value of these cups, in my eyes, is no longer relative. These are important. Would love to hold that set.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Wow. I think I paid about $75 or so for my set of Bertram's. Was going to hold on but maybe it is time to sell. Even have the handwritten letter from him telling which polish to use on the cups.

~ Dan
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I may have done will on the Bertram cups, but lost my butt on sale of some auto racing memorabelia I had collected and have noted the gambling stuff I put on auction isn't getting high offers either. ARgh.... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
alanm99
View Profile
Regular user
England, UK
119 Posts

Profile of alanm99
One bidder called "neasham" REALLY likes to buy stuff at martinka Smile
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
The beat goes on........another set of Ross Bertram cups just sold on Ebay for $1750. This makes three big sales in the last couple of months : first, the Ebay sale that started this thread and fetched $2025; second Pete Biro's sale at $1500, I think it was; and thirdly now, $1750. Sounds like a trend, doesn't it, albeit one that the other vintage lines of cups don't seem to be cashing in on.....at least not yet.

Fortasse

Posted: Oct 15, 2006 10:45pm
Well,things may be settling down. A pristine set of Ross Bertram cups just sold at the latest Martinka auction for just $660 - a far cry from the $2025 that a virtually identical set sold for just 3 and half months ago. Very spirited bidding at tonight's auction on a vintage set of spun aluminum cups. From the pictures,seemed very old. I was among the unlucky who bid. Ah well...and the beat goes on.
Fortasse
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27134 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I hope the cups have a good home.

I wish cups could make the magician.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
I'm keeping this thread alive because it enables us to track how Ross Bertram Cups are selling at auction over a finite period. This is not indicative of market trends generally, of course, but it does provide a glimpse into the dynamism of the market for vintage high-end collectible cups, like the RB cups.

Just to re-cap the Ebay experience over the past 8 months or so (as per the preceding part of this thread), these are the prices that RB cups (all in pristine condition apparently) have sold for over Ebay (in chronological order) :

1. $777 (my own purchase from Lois Atteslander)
2. $2025 (a real bidding war between two fanatics)
3. $1500 (sold in a snap by Pete Biro per "Buy it Now")
4. $1750
5. $660
6. $711 (sold by "Flinnermagic just last night)

Seems to me that RB cups may be averaging higher prices now than PF/DD cups, on Ebay at least....... This is all anectodal right now but would be interesting to do a comparative table.

Fortasse
martinka
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of martinka
Fortasse,

For number 7 on your list, on friday, we sold another set for $1010. So, there are at least two folks willing to pay over $1,000.
Perhaps the price is trending back up.
Ted
www.martinka.com

"Buying & Selling Magic for over 100 Years"
TMAN34
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of TMAN34
Any idea what a set of Ross Bertram cups is going for these days?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Ross Bertram Cups just sold for $2025 at Martinka auction! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL