The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Looking to redo my site (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I originally chose blog software for my site because it's very easy to change. I have reached a point where I feel a more sophisticated website look will help my business and give me a little more credibility.

Any suggestions for a web designer that could do the job? I did click on the banner above but for the amount of pages and look I want it would run well over $600.00 which is more than I can spend at this time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW I'm not very computor savy and would be pretty useless trying anything on my own.

Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
I actually like your existing site.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
You can go into Wordpress and change everything on your page viw HTML. Here is the youth ministry site from my church - http://www.heritagelighthouse.com

We opened up the HTML and made some changes to make it look more like a custom site and not Wordpress, which is the software we use.

-Tyler
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Hi Rick,

I am web designer myself.

One possibility is to use a shopping cart software. It would be much better for websites that sell products. There are several FREE ones. OsCommerce is one of the best out there. These are not difficult to learn, and do not require very technical savvy people to make them work. Many small business owners are able to learn and make their own e-commerce website in a short period of time. The good thing is, it is totally free!

http://www.oscommerce.com

Hope this helps Smile

Phil
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Thanks guys!

Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Your welcomed Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You can also go to http://www.opensourcecms.com

CMS stands for "Content Management System" and it works pretty much out the box to let you add, delete, modify, content at will. They're all pretty much template driven, so the only thing you really need to change is the "look" of the master template, and all other pages follow suit.

Open Source means it's free, and all you need is a hosting site that supports PHP and MySQL, both of which are free and readily available.

I've used several CMS packages for both personal and professional uses. Each one has certain strong suits and of course a few weaknesses, but it really doesn't take much to get yourself up to speed.

PM me and I can discuss details and point you to a few sites I've done.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I know you say you are not computer savy...but with using the WUSIWUG programs nowadays...(Frontpage, Dreamweaver, etc.)...it is very easy. Now if you want JAVA, FLASH, etc....then that is a whole other story.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Thanks again guys. I have to admit I really have no clue about page design or any of this do it yourself stuff.

I'm looking to pay 2-3 hundred dollars to have things spruced up (or a web site)
I don't want to try it myself even if I can save money.

Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Hi Rick,

I am sure there are a lot of web designers who will do websites for any price they can get on.
For instance, many college students actually do a great job and would like to earn a buck.

Check out elance.com for freelance web designers. You might be able to get someone to redo your website for around $300.

Phil
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Thanks Phil.

Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Looking to redo my site (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL