The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » One cup routines?- Not a chop cup! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Aurelius
View Profile
New user
Oshawa, Ont. Canada
14 Posts

Profile of Aurelius
I am wondering if there are any routines featuring one cup only - and not a chop cup! I don't care how many balls are in play. I find that the chop cup scenario is getting a little shop-worn and would like to know if there are any one cup routines that offer a different perspective.

Thanks.
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
I would say two of the best are Larry Jennings One cup routine and John Carney's Fruit Cup.

Sean
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I don't know if Benson's Bowl Routine qualifies or not. But, Johnny Thompson's performance is the most entertaining I've ever seen. It is currently included in a sponge ball DVD from L&L Publishing. http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=2313
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6965 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Although I don't perform it as of yet, Paul Harris's Uncanny is a great routine and something I will be working on in the future. It can be found on vol. 2 of the Stars of Magic dvd.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Daryl has a fun one-cup routine on his first Fooler Doolers DVD.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
mgshn
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of mgshn
Quote:
On 2006-07-01 11:23, Aurelius wrote:
I am wondering if there are any routines featuring one cup only - and not a chop cup! I don't care how many balls are in play. I find that the chop cup scenario is getting a little shop-worn and would like to know if there are any one cup routines that offer a different perspective.

OK, I'll say it now... this answer is s*cky... I learned a 1-cup routine in a lecture about 10 years ago and have been doing it ever since. Three balls in play (plus 1) and a final load. Lots of fun and interaction with no difficult moves. Unfortunately, I don't remember the guys name; I think it started w/ "S".

Still, I hope this holds out a ray of hope for you. If I can find the details I'll post them and have a sneaking feeling that Pete Biro might be able to help.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
632 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
There are ball and cone routines. See The Magic of Dai Vernon.
There's a no-chop one cup routine in Wilson's Chop Cup Book.
There's also a one cup routine in Gross' Pure Magic.
Another close match may be the glass thru the table.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Tarbell Course in Magic v. 6 page 30ff. has Senator Clarke Crandall's one cup routine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Jiggernaut by Mark Jeneset (sp?)

Good in bars and such.

Personnaly I use a leather dice cup, regular dice and jumbo dice, no chop.

However I've opted now to perfect my 3 cups and balls routine and it's now my all consuming passion.

I Am Johnny Mystic
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
In addition to the options given above, all of these are routines using just one cup:

1. Michael Ammar. 'Beenie Weenie', in Encore III, 1983: p36
  2. Carl Andrews. 'Carl's One Cup and Ball Routine' in Magic from Maui. The Cairn Press, 2003; p81.
  3. Gerald Deutsch. 'Watch the Bill/Cup'. Apocalypse, May 1985. 8 No. 5: p1064-1065.
  4. Andrew Galloway. 'One cups and ball routine' in The Ramsay Legend. Magic Inc, 1975
  5. Allan Hayden. 'One Cup Routine'. Apocalypse, November 1980. 3 No. 11: p417.
  6. Curtis Kam. 'Coffee & Dough'. Apocalypse, September 1984. 7 No. 9: p961-962.
  7. Fred Kaps. 'One Cup Three Ball routine' in Fred Kaps Lecture Book.
  8. Senor Mardo. 'Routine A' in The Cups & Balls. Magic Limited, 1983: p34.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Bill Palmer beat to the Crandalls routine and Sean Macfarlane to Carney's "Fruit Cup".
How about "Traveling Centavos" from Bobo's?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Then there is my stock answer... MAKE UP A ROUTINE... think OUT of the CUP.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jaypoc
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jaypoc
I was going to mention Juggernaut as johnnymystic has. Very cool C&B effect with a jigger measuring cup. Produces multiple peas, and wine corks as a kicker.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Seems a pity to do a one cup routine and not use the principle of the Chop cup. IMHO, of course.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
632 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I just remembered Lavand's Bread Crumb routine.
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Dan Garretts Z-CUP routine.Is better than the rest..Cordially,Howard
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Another one cup routine -

"My Lady's Teddy Bear" - The Scotty York Video - Volume 1 - A-1 Multimedia video.
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
It doesn't use a cup or ball but I really like Gegory Willson's KISS OFF.

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm not going to say that Dan Garrett's routine isn't better than the rest. I'll say this. Each cup routine has its pluses and its minuses. Almost every one of them looks wonderful when performed by the originator.

What is best is subjective.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Yes,but Dan Garrett's surprise ending pre dates the others and is a bigger fooler.No I will not reveal the final surprise. COrdially,Howard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » One cup routines?- Not a chop cup! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL