The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "The Ring Thing" by Garret Thomas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

B0bbY_CaT
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of B0bbY_CaT
Garret Thomas "The Ring Thing"

available from:

Ellusionist @ US$24.95
http://www.ellusionist.com/Blaine/Tricks/Ring-Thing-by-Garrett-Thomas.php?

Penguin @ US$24.95
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1394

a total of 57 minutes including detailed explaination, background history, alternative handling ideas, previews of other DVD's avail (of course)!

what do they say?
The Effect
When Garrett Thomas introduced THE RING THING at the famous FFFF invitation-only close-up magic convention, some of the top close-up magicians in the world were asking to see it over and over again. Luminaries such as David Blaine, Jeff McBride, Gregory Wilson and many others have asked Garrett to teach them this fabulous impromptu routine. Why? Because it looks like real magic! And now, every detail of THE RING THING can be yours— Garrett Thomas has held nothing back.

THE RING THING looks like trick photography . . . but it’s not! It’s a quick, visual, impromptu miracle that you can do right before their eyes. You pull off your finger ring, toss it back towards your other hand . . . and it visibly appears back on your finger!

Garrett doesn’t just stop at teaching THE RING THING. This DVD is a post-graduate course in finger ring magic. Of course, effects that can be performed at a moment’s notice and with no preparation are some of the most valuable tricks to know and finger rings are everyday objects that are always available. Imagine visibly taking a ring on and off right through your finger! Imagine visibly changing a coin into a ring and then back into a coin again! Imagine causing an invisible ring to really become visible! All of this . . . and much more . . . are revealed in Garrett Thomas’ THE RING THING!

My thoughts...
Garrett Thomas is a solid teacher. his explainations (with the aid of DVD technology... pause, rewind, fast fwd etc) are solid.

the overall style of this DVD is good. step by step, one by one you are taught the basic moves. then ultimately you are shown how to put the various moves together.

the moves are quite simple but will require some significant practice to master the necessary dexterity, however once mastered, well worth the time invested.

in simple terms, you are taught (1) a series of "put a ring on your finger" moves, (2) a series of "take it off moves", and (3) a series of "put it back on moves". with this 3 step combination, you are taught the basis of some great routines, however once you have mastered these 3 steps, the number and style of routines you can come up with is really up to you.

Q & A:
what does it take to perform?
sleight of hand and practice... and some sort of ring... hence the name.

difficulty?
1 = easy >>> 5 = very tough.
3.5 to begin with, quickly becoming 1.5 - 2 with practice.

angle sensitive?
somewhat... some routines almost no problem, others require more care.

gimmicks or special rings?
no gimmicks. no special rings either HOWEVER... GT does explain how some designs and sizes of ring are better than others. if you don't already own a suitable ring, then the ring you would need is NOT very expensive. furthermore, the methodology is NOT limited to rings, band aids, coins with holes in the middle, cigar wrap rings, in fact almost anything cylindrical of "ring type dimensions" that can maintain it's shape and fit on your finger can be used for at least "some" of the routines.

set up?
none to speak of, just have a ring or similar suitable item available.

reset?
none. instantly ready to "go again".

can borrowed rings be used?
yes, although the style and size of a borrowed ring may determine which effects it is best suited to.

overall:
to some extent this is another "coin in soda can" type situation. looks great in the preview, then when you learn the trick you kick yourself you didn't work it out... however...

you didn't work it out. give credit where it's due, it is well explained and the detailed handling techniques are vital to a good performance so that makes the DVD good value for money.

a score?
solid 8/10 for mine. perhaps as I practice more and get some big reactions that can improve to a 9.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
You can also buy this DVD directly from L & L Publishing (they did produce it, after all).

:) Kaylan
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Or directly from Garrett at SammyB654@aol.com (he did star in the video, after all)

:) Alex
only4card
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of only4card
Hi Alex,

Is SammyB654@aol.com Garret Thomas' email address ? Thanks
B0bbY_CaT
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of B0bbY_CaT
No doubt the people reading this post for it's primary function (a serious review of a DVD) will appreciate the additional sources to compare prices.

and yes you can pay as low as $24.95 if you buy direct from L&L Publishing. please see link below:
http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=2316
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Quote:
On 2006-07-02 13:15, only4card wrote:
Hi Alex,

Is SammyB654@aol.com Garret Thomas' email address ? Thanks

Yup that's his email.

And Thanks for the review B0bbY_CaT, Garrett appreciates it.

Alex
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Gr8888888 stuff on this DVD!
Made me go shop a ring on the spot.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
B0bbY_CaT
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of B0bbY_CaT
Thanks to Garret for a great DVD!
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
Just been fooling around with the actual ring thing trick on the DVD.
Got the basics down in about twenty minutes and it really looks magical. Need a lot of practise to really get it down, but still looks pretty good. There's lots of other cool stuff that I want to try too like changing the ring to a coin.

Best,

Al
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
The "Ring to Coin/Coin to Ring" is absolutely magical to watch.
It is more than a one trick DVD !!

I have to agree with B0bbY_CaT, Garrett Thomas is a solid teacher. He really takes you through all of the fine points of the effect.
I think I will have to check out his "Inside the Mind of Garrett Thomas" DVD set, not only for his effects but for his teaching style.
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
I wasn't sure I was ready, but just performed the ring thing effect for the first time for a fellow magician. I could tell by his expression he was very surprised. He said that was the most visual trick he'd seen in a long time and now he's going to get the dvd.
wildarr
View Profile
New user
Isle of Palms, SC
80 Posts

Profile of wildarr
I just watched the previews and the effects are full of promise.

Going to have to give this one a try. Although I don't regularly wear jewelry, the opportunitiy for borrowed rings abounds for me.

And, who knows. Maybe it will incite a fashion makeover for me! Smile

Thanks for all the info!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "The Ring Thing" by Garret Thomas (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL