The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Reality TV. Hardcore, "Edgy" feel to magic now... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KillerQ
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of KillerQ
Hey all,

Ok, I am a closeup magician, and I have noticed a trend over the past few years -- I just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this...

It seems that magic now, especially close-up, street magic, has been infected by reality TV. Everything has over-the-top reactions, scrubby looking, hardcore magicians, ya know....

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1368

Go there for example, and watch the demo -- I just get sick of the over-the top reactions, to me they don't sell the trick -- maybe for the lay person -- I don' t, know.... I guess the less you talk, the more mean and gothic, or scrubby you look, and the weirder the crowd you get, the better the trick is supposed to be....

I guess I am not bad-mouthing the magicians, just the marketing technique used in recent years...

Thanks for listening,

Matt!
Mike.Shots
View Profile
Regular user
Terrell
199 Posts

Profile of Mike.Shots
I was going to type a really long arguement, but I got lazy. I agree with Matt that the whole "Urban and Gritty" feel is out of control.
Here's my arguement, I feel it speaks for itself.

http://decknique.net/content/339.html

To defend Daniel, the clips for the Greed demo were VERY carefully chosen. Most of the reactions on the Greed demo were pretty docile. There were 5 performances if I'm not mistaken. 3 of the groups didn't really say anything the whole time, they looked more confused than anything. 1 of the groups went insane any time something happened, and the last group was applauding at each change. The demo isn't a very good representation of what really happened.

Not to dog Daniel, but that's the way it appeared to me. GREED is a very good effect, and is a strong piece of magic, but it can be a bit... well, very confusing if you don't show them very closely what's happening. And WOW this is off subject...
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Mike that link is probably the worst thing I have seen in a long time. I think I now need to offically leave magic.

Thanks Mike.
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Killer Q ... just wondering if you have ever taken any marketing classes?

Daniel Garcia

chichi711 ...see you later
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Killer...I don't know Daniel Garcia and that vid was the first I've seen of him. I have heard from those I respect that his magic is very strong...this response doesn't really have anything to do with his product ad but to your statement. The simple fact is with the Blaine style of show the reaction has become the selling point. If you can really perform a feat of 'magic' and it gets no response then it will be of no use compared to something very easy that gets people screaming. Sure they are over reacting because 1) They see cameras and want to cooperate (see the Hawthorne experiment for general info on how people respond to outside stimulations when teamed with expectation). 2) They think that is HOW one responds to magic. The little video is exactly what will attract buyers. I'll go a step further, I would bet if a product came out with a cool name, lets say "Street Black Femitron", and the ad only showed reactions and at no time showed the effect nor mentioned what it was it would sell.
Steve V
KillerQ
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of KillerQ
DG and Steve....

Don't get me wrong -- I understand 110% why this is going on, the marketing is very strong, and it sells -- it's just that trends are annoying sometimes -- and the reality TV spin that has taken over the magic marketing gets old quick -- that's all. As long as female magicians who are wearing those GIANT, "trendy" sunglasses don't take over the streets, I think I'll be good for now....haha

But on the flipside -- yea, keep it up -- it sells!

Thanks,

Matt!
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
I've watched the links and I felt really bad: that's marketing?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I recognize the kid's name on the demo. He's one of a few newcomers who were trying to pass off other people's writing as their own original "essays" on magic. Trouble was, the more knowledgeable people immediately recognized the sources. When called on it, they first insisting it was all original writing, but when we weren't buying it, they silently slipped away.

He and his friends have built a web forum for themselves and kids like them. If that's the future of magic I'm about ready to agree with Chichi711 and leave while I still have a trace of dignity.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
wildarr
View Profile
New user
Isle of Palms, SC
80 Posts

Profile of wildarr
Is it just that I'm old that I feel that this whole "gangsta" element in magic is horrible?

I don't mind gothic.

I don't mind urban.

What I mind is that it seems uneducated and arrogant.

Whatever happened to erudition and elegance?

:(
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
Quote:
On 2006-07-08 16:22, wildarr wrote:
Whatever happened to erudition and elegance?

Take heart -- it never really goes out of style and will always come back around.
ChrixF
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ChrixF
Quote:
On 2006-07-08 16:22, wildarr wrote:
Is it just that I'm old that I feel that this whole "gangsta" element in magic is horrible?

I think the "gangsta" element in magic comes naturaly. When I go out to do some street magic for the heck of it, I try to dress as a layman would(jeans,a T-shirt,the rest)so that I can "surprise" people and make them say "Oh, he's a magician", but it all depends on how street magicians dress. I have to agree, the "gangsta" element is pretty bad, but don't worry about erudition and elegance because, as djrdjr said, "Take heart -- it never really goes out of style and will always come back around."

Chrix
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Quote:
On 2006-07-08 14:34, Dave VanVranken wrote:
I recognize the kid's name on the demo. He's one of a few newcomers who were trying to pass off other people's writing as their own original "essays" on magic. Trouble was, the more knowledgeable people immediately recognized the sources. When called on it, they first insisting it was all original writing, but when we weren't buying it, they silently slipped away.

He and his friends have built a web forum for themselves and kids like them. If that's the future of magic I'm about ready to agree with Chichi711 and leave while I still have a trace of dignity.

are you reffering ME... because if so... you might want to do a little research because I HAVE NO IDEA who your are talking about.... when did I start a website wit my "kid" friends

Daniel Garcia
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
Drs_Res
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Drs_Res
I think he meant the second link, this one:
http://decknique.net/content/339.html

Not yours Daniel.
( / ) The Bunny
(O.o) Add him to your signature.
(> <) Help him rule the world.
/_||_ Prosper at his side.

Scott
starksanity
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of starksanity
Calm down Houston, I hardly think "newcomer" would describe you Smile whiskey tango foxtrot. At the end of the day it IS about the reactions you get. And dg, I have been getting AMAZING reactions. If I was a client booking your show, I would want to see the fx, but as a magician I actually DO want to see how ppl will react. But maybe I am just being practical? either way, the role of "reality illusionist" does seem a little ironic killerQ, good call on that.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
You know, I've seen that clip before and thought it was a goof....if that kid is legit I have one bit of advice for him....mime.
Steve V
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
That's pretty harsh Steve. LOL
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Vandy, once again standing up for the little guy, we should all be as supportive as you.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Thanks Josh,I can't help it. My personality type is that of a "helpful/encourager". That's how I roll. Smile
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Speaking of the "Reality TV ... Hardcore, "Edgy" feel to magic now..." recently I've been apppalled to see a number of effects demos posted at the websites of well-known magic dealers in which the spectators -- some of whom arguably look like repeat "Jerry Springer Show" panelists -- shriek profanity as a means of expressing their amazement.

Clearly it's not just the performers but also the spectators who videographers of magic demos are trying to give the, ahem, "hardcore, edgy feel" to.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
"Edgy" has become "mainstream." "Gritty" has come to mean "expected." "Hardcore" has come to mean "with loud rap or hip-hop and fast editing cuts in the visuals."

I propose that someone come up with something NEW on the visual front instead.

If one wants hardcore, then show the magic from a multiple set of angles at he same time. Do it to SOFT music and do it in SLOW MOTION ... lyrical-like.

That way, if there is ANY trickery going on, the AUDIENCE will SEE IT!

Fool people under those conditions, and you will HAVE SOMEHIN' GOIN' ON!!

The current "edgy" happens so fast that the audience is sitting there asking themselves "what did we just SEE?" It's like trying to catch subliminal messages getting flashed on the screen!

Magic is a VISUAL ART!!! People should SEE what is happening! If he video is too grainy, too fast, too jumpy, then the audience WON'T SEE SQUAT!!

Welcome to Video Basics 101.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Reality TV. Hardcore, "Edgy" feel to magic now... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL