The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Elmsley Count and/or Gaffed Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
CardShark2004
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of CardShark2004
It seems like an Elmsley Count and/or Gaffed Cards are a necessity for packet tricks, is this always the case?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It's not a necessity and not always the case.
There are quite few excellent packet tricks that are done with regular cards and different sleights.

Seek and you will find.
CardShark2004
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of CardShark2004
Thanks jaz. time to go seek...
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Learn to do a good smooth Elmsley Count. With a good Elmsley Count and a good double, you can perform countless wonderful effects. Practice.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I learned Elmsley Count from the packet effect "Queens Out of Control." It teaches almost everything you need to get it down smoothly.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
There are a great number of packet effects that do not require an Elmsley nor a gaff.

Is there a reason you're looking to avoid these two aspects or am I reading your post wrong?

Just wondering...
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think a lot of the aversion to the Elmsley count is that most versions of it require holding the packt of cards in a strange manner, i.e. by the edges. Jon Racherbaumer showed me a version once that is the most natural count I have ever seen.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I tried to learn the Elmsley count 10 years ago and quickly gave up.
I tried again last November. I got it down pretty darn quick that time.
I would like to encourage anyone who wants to learn this move to do so, but not wait 10 years like I did.

I learned it from Oz Pearlman and Michael Ammar. Thanks to both!
And thanks to the late Mr. Elmsley.

Later
PW
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
The main thing to remember, IMO, is to hold the packet like anyone else would when performing the count...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
jdbach
View Profile
Regular user
United States
174 Posts

Profile of jdbach
I learned the Elmsley by watching Colombini videos. He shows the the best I have seen.

Regards,

Joe
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I re-learned it in a different way after purchasing Queens Out of Control. I used to use the fingertip control, but now do it the much more natural way.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2006-07-21 20:58, Bill Palmer wrote:
I think a lot of the aversion to the Elmsley count is that most versions of it require holding the packt of cards in a strange manner, i.e. by the edges. Jon Racherbaumer showed me a version once that is the most natural count I have ever seen.

HIs method can be found in the excellent compendium COuntesaurus (also by Racherbaumer. That source is for those who like to learn from books. The original method (which I learned from Jerry Mentzer's excellent book Counts Cuts Moves and Subtlety)worked fine, but has been updated with a more natural handling.
Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
170 Posts

Profile of Tyler
I learned the Elmsley Count using the fingertips on the long edges. After reading The complete works of Alex Elmsley Vol. 1, learned the actual way Elmsley did it. Sooooo much easier and more convincing. Elmsley also mentioned that the reason for the fingertips description of the sleight came from its use in a JUMBO card routine by an american magician. The JUMBO cards made it impossible to hold the cards in the more relaxed (original) fashion.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Most references attribute the fingertip count to Vernon, implying that he developed it for the completely natural handling of "Twisting the Aces" after the "twist".

Does Elmsley mention who the American Magician was?
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
In some instances a hammond count can be used instead of an Emsley.
The card to be hidden will be on the bottom.
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
The secret is an easy grip and no hesitation. When learning I would practice while watching a movie in the dark. After a while it becomes automatic which is what you want.

Robert
Mr. Who Dini
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Mr. Who Dini
I consider the Elmsley count as a valuable sleight when it comes to a lot of packet tricks.
My best advice is: the hand that holds the packet to start with keeeps still all the time, it is only the other hand that moves in a steady rythm.
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
I also think that a bit of a forward motion, as opposed to a side to side, makes it appear more natural.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I don't think anyone performs the Elmsley slower than Mike Skinner, and it looks great....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
I'd love to hear more about that natural version.
Sounds great!
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Elmsley Count and/or Gaffed Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL