The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
my mindless rambling's now total
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
Ok, I've had a read of the forums, used the search facility and I'm still confused. My question is this.......
"How many of you are using "jumbo" cups e.g 3-3.5" dia mouth and how many are using "standard" cups tennis ball size (or smaller), for busking. is a 1" ball large enough to be visible to a largish crowd and finaly what makes of cups are folks using. I have a bazar de magia set which are great for a few people around a table butthey can't even handle a regulation tennis ball. if i,m going to take this out on the street I could do with knowing if I need to change up to something larger. I know that performance and personality are the real key to success but it can't help to know that the spec's will be able to see the routine.
Sorry if this has all been asked before, but some concise answers would be cool.

Thanks

Andy
I was put on this earth to do a great many things..... I'm now so far behind that I don't think I'm ever going to die!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13418 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If it can't hold a tennis ball, I would get frustrated while shopping for groceries.

I think the smaller cups would play well. Heck, I'm sure some people do the 3 shell game on the streets for a descent sized crowd. Your options for what goes in is just limited.

Maybe that doesn't matter but I like knowing I can go shopping for oranges and be done with it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5362 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Frank is spot on here.

To answer you question, I use jumbos on the street. Gary Animal’s “Babe” cups to be exact (heck I use the Babes almost everywhere). They hold regulation baseballs as a final load. The balls (mini baseballs) are about an inch and a quarter (1.25 inches).

Often I don’t perform a three-cup routine. I will use a large Chop Cup. I use a Jim Riser “Ultimate Chop Cup, tall version” it is designed to be seen from a distance (stage/platform/street) and holds a regulation baseball as a final load.

For close-up work I use Pete Biro’s Hindu cups.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
Thanks for the replies guys, I get the feeling that the final load size could be the main problem. Is there anyone out there using cups as small as mine for street work?
Thanks
I was put on this earth to do a great many things..... I'm now so far behind that I don't think I'm ever going to die!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I have both Gary Animal's Super Animals and Love cups (a size below Babes).

Although I was taught to believe that bigger is better, I'm simply more comfortable with the Loves. I'd rather do a smaller routine well than screw up something trying to use the bigger cups. It's really a comfort level issue at this point. The ball size is only 1/8" smaller, so small ball handling isn't affected. Final loads can be tennis balls or small oranges or lemons.

I'm going out tomorrow night and I think I'll carry both loads in my bag and see what plays better. I'm sure six jumbo oranges and a melon would still beat out whatever I do with mine, but for now these will have to do.

As long as you have the largest possible load for the size of the cup, the relative effect should be the same. It then depends more on your audience size. I'm no Gazzo, so I won't have 200 people in a wide circle around me. It will be more of a "sidewalk show." I think I can effectively get away with slightly smaller cups.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
Thanks for the advice guys.I think I'll stick to my existing cups and try to get some impressive loads in there, Speaking of which, Frank, how large are your large felt final load balls?

Cheers
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13418 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Any size you want. Just send a note along with your request.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
I'll get measuring!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Andy:

Use whatever you are comfortable with. A lot of the guys use the Phoenix cups because they are really sturdy. A lot of guys like the various cups from Gary Animal for the same reason.

The main factors are visibility of the loads and the element of surprise.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
At a lecture Gazzo was showing various cups he has used. Although I believe he now uses some type of jumbo cups by Gary Animal, and has used other large sized cups like the Paul Fox Chick Cups, he also showed a standard sized Paul Fox Cup. And those cups only take a lacrosse ball. So at some time during his career, Gazzo apparently considered that a large enough load for street work.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Nick Nicholas of New Zealand uses Gary Animal's Love Cups, and produces tennis balls from them. He can be seen performing in a photo on his web page surrounded by a very large audience. Obviously he's getting some pretty good mileage out of smaller-than-jumbo cups.

Greg
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
He might have used them on the streets, but he told us the smaller cups were mainly used when he worked indoors at the pubs.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Hi Andy,

I don't think anyone else has mentiond it, and I apologise if this is blindingly obvious, but your choice of cup partly depends on where you do your loading from. If you load from your pockets, then it's more practical to use smaller loads and smaller cups. If you load from a pouch you can really go for it with the large oranges or baseballs (which are much more difficult to conceal, carry and load from pockets).

Something else to take into consideration.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
mattsharpe
View Profile
New user
Paradise, Newfoundland
72 Posts

Profile of mattsharpe
I use standard size Morrisey Cups. For my final loads, I picked up 6 hacky sacks from a local dollar store. They fit in the cups nicely, and I don't have to be worried about getting fruit every time. For the hat load, I also use a ball I got from Walmart, it's very light so I don't even notice it in my pouch when walking around.
Matt
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Somebody on ebay was selling what they called "tall Gazzo cups." That was funny because what they were were Pete Biro cups. I used to love my Biro cups until they got stolen. Now I use my Gazzo cups, which are very heavy. My Gazzo cups were actually used for a season by Gazzo himself, so, until I lost my Biro's, I was keeping the Gazzo's as a keepsake. But they're working cups again now.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jim, I didn't know you got ripped... darn. I'm sorry I'm all out of the big cups othewise I would give you a new set... argh... how's things otherwise my friend?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
998 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hi,

I could be wrong, but I've seen Nick Nicolas perform twice here in Perth Western Australia and he showed me his cups and said they were Gazzo's, given to him by Gazzo.

Great show by the way and of course the cups being his big trick certainly gets the punters parting with their cash. Last time they were scooping up his DVD for larger amounts of $$ put into his hat.

All the best

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I have used qwite a few cups, but the one set I have fallen in love with I Cellini cups. They seemed designed for my needs because the dimple tackes just one ball instead of three it makes the finale load look bigger.
Mario
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 02:22, Pete Biro wrote:
Jim, I didn't know you got ripped... darn. I'm sorry I'm all out of the big cups othewise I would give you a new set... argh... how's things otherwise my friend?

Pete,
That was a very nice gesture.

Bill Sutter
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
Quote:
On 2006-07-10 21:09, JamesinLA wrote...

Somebody on ebay was selling what they called "tall Gazzo cups." That was funny because what they were were Pete Biro cups. I used to love my Biro cups until they got stolen. Now I use my Gazzo cups, which are very heavy. My Gazzo cups were actually used for a season by Gazzo himself, so, until I lost my Biro's, I was keeping the Gazzo's as a keepsake. But they're working cups again now.

Jim,

Those cups you saw on the auction weren't Pete's Galli-Gallis. They were a thick heavy set made by Gary Animal in very limited numbers, only 15 I think. They have the same large diameter as the Gazzos, but breaking from the more common proportions of Gary's cups, these are taller than wide. (Did someone recently write that Gazzo is currently using these as his working cups?)

They are very similar to the Galli-Gallis in size and shape. Unfortunately I don't have any of Pete's, so I can't tell you how they compare in weight. Perhaps Mr. Palmer can fill us in on that detail. But if you liked your Galli-Galli Cups, you'd probably like the Tall Animals, and you might want to keep your eyes opened in case any come up for sale.

Here's a link to the Café review: Thick Tall Animal Cups

Greg
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
When I designed the Galli Galli cups I took a set of Paul Fox Chick cups, reduced the height 1/8th inch and changed the number of beads. That's all. Now I kick myself for not having just copied the Fox cups then.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL