The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How many similar/duplicate tricks do you know? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

afillius
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of afillius
I have been watching videos of performances and notice that many times a performer will ask something like "I'm gonna show you a magic trick using money. Should I use yours or mine?" Now if the spectator says "use yours" you can perform a trick like Hundy500 but if they say use mine maybe you do a pen thru dollar.

Or you do a trick and then they say...do that again so you perform a differnt trick with the same outcome.

My question is...how important is it to know similar or duplicate tricks?
How many different variations of each trick is enough?

Or maybe you only know duplicates of certain tricks....I don't know
www.stsgroupinc.com
pro audio/video/lighting

Great magic is about creating great images - Jay Sankey
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Afillius,
Of course it's important to have different methods when someone says "Do that again" or "show that one to my friend". Performing the effect the same way often times will tip the method. It also depends on the effect (trick) With card effects there are thousands of different routes you can go to achieve similar outcomes as long as you are familiar with the handlings/sleights. It also depends on your skill level in different areas of close-up magic. The more knowledge base you have, the less you have to worry about duplication.

It might also be wise to familiarize yourself with impromptu effects like the ones on the Gregory Wilson DVD's (Off the Cuff, On the Spot) where you can perform with borrowed items or common everyday objects. BUT to answer your question, if you want to be professional and not just some guy(gal) who can do a few tricks then YES you should be able to do different variations of effects and also be able to controll your spectators not the other way around. This takes work, time and study and obviously tons of practice. It all depends on what YOU want to achieve. What sort of effects are you doing now?
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
afillius
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of afillius
Right now I only have a few tricks that I am really confident with, but here is what I am doing and working on: (* = currently performing)

*Do as I do
*Phil
*Scotch & Soda
*Erectile Bill - IT effect
Levetating Bill - IT effect
*Self Tying Shoes Laces
Invisible Deck
Super Sharpie

I will check out one of the Gregory Wilson DVD's. I have always enjoyed his style.
www.stsgroupinc.com
pro audio/video/lighting

afillius
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of afillius
Oh and I forgot...I also have the Raven but I need to come up with a different routine other than a coin vanish
www.stsgroupinc.com
pro audio/video/lighting

molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Knowing several different versions of the same effect helps you select the best one for the situation. You might have a preferred handling of an effect that has really bad angles to the right. If you know an alternative handling with different weak angles, you can still perform the effect even if seated to the left of the spectators (impromptu dinner table/bar/etc. situations).

This to me is even more valuable than being able to repeat an effect. Ideally you'd show an even more impressive effect rather than repeating one you've already shown. I am working on expanding my repetoire at the moment, and angles / spec. distances is my primary consideration while finding new tricks to learn.

I hope one day to be able to choose a handfull of effects to show, based on the surroundings, rather than politely decline performing due to bad angles etc.

Michael
Ivan Hamaric
View Profile
New user
Croatia
94 Posts

Profile of Ivan Hamaric
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 22:44, afillius wrote:
My question is...how important is it to know similar or duplicate tricks?
How many different variations of each trick is enough?

Or maybe you only know duplicates of certain tricks....I don't know

Since this thread is in the "New to magic" forum, I will assume that you are, indeed, new to magic, and answer with that in mind.

A good rule of thumb is never to repeat a trick. Yes, it is too crude, and it shouldn't be taken for granted, but for now, it will avoid a significant amount of trouble when performing. Now, I know that this doesn't answer you question, so read on. Smile Basically, with time, you will absorb enough knowledge (provided that you are a dedicated student of the craft), that you will literally be able to deal with "do that again!" types of situations on the spot, through improvisation.

When I'm asked about the number of tricks I know, I often explain this through cooking. You see, cooking is amazingly similar to magic in the sense that when you have the fundamentals down, you can weave your way in and out of them as you see fit. You will always have dishes cooked exactly as the recipe says, but you will also be able to create whatever you want. The point is this: at first, you only know how to cook certain dishes, exactly as it says in the book. With enough time and practice, you become a chef. Let's quit the analogy now. When you have enough experience, discard the "don't do it twice rule" when needed. But for now, I believe time is better spent learning new things, including how to elegantly avoid repeating the trick. Smile Good luck!
"Doubtless the pleasure is as great
Of being cheated, as to cheat..."

Samuel "Hudibras" Butler (1612-1680)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How many similar/duplicate tricks do you know? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL