The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Who Invented Matchbox Penetration? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya,

I'm trying to write this week's Magic Friday column but, for the life of me, I can't seem to find out who invented this trick. I can't really write it until I do- any help?

Thanx!

Jamie D. Grant
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3500 Posts

Profile of Julie
Jamie

This may be a toughie! Of the "modern versions" Joe Stevens imported what is probably the best from Spain a number of years ago.

Long before that, Abbott's sold a "steel penetration" where a matchbox contained a metal plate and a needle with thread/ribbon was poked through the center of the box. (Different Method)

Like most every other effect, the basic idea is probably buried in an old book or books somewhere...

Julie
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Viking were the first. But I can be WAY off.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
It was created by a non magician in Spain a few years ago.
Steve V
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1945 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Mine is the first time model, made in Spain...maybe Steve is right.
many yrs ago, I bought from H Lee.
ruijorge
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of ruijorge
I believe it has more than a century
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Quote:
On 2006-07-09 01:35, Julie wrote:

Long before that, Abbott's sold a "steel penetration" where a matchbox contained a metal plate and a needle with thread/ribbon was poked through the center of the box. (Different Method)

Yes, I have the original instructions. it was Eddie Joseph's thinking. its called "The New Dilka Steel Penetration"

Yes, TOTALY diffrent method.

I don't think the improved version has been around for a century Smile

More like 30-35 years or so. I've gone through LOADS of catalogues but havent seen advertised that goes beyond 1960's.
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
374 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
Where can you purchase this effect these days?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3500 Posts

Profile of Julie
Be careful--like most everything else lately--there's a rip-off or two out there that is just not quite right. It's best to actually handle the piece or establish a right-to-return agreement with any seller before wasting your time and money...

Julie
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
374 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
I realize that. After doing a lot of research on this forum, it seems the consensus is that it is virtually impossible to find a consistently well made one at this time. Pretty sad actually.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
I have an old one that a fellow magician gave to me years ago. The brass piece is very thick; it practically fills up the entire box, plus the mechanism is well camouflaged and precision-machined. The ones I see online now are much thinner. I guess that saves the manufacturer money.

It is sad! Once something becomes popular, "entrepreneuers" mass produce chincy ones in China that flood the market and squeeze out the ones that are actually crafted with care (magic shops are forced to order the crap models or lose customers).

I have never seen a matchbox penetration block like mine, but I know they must be out there..

Douglas M.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
I got a great thick well machined one from "The Vanishing Rabbit" Magic shop....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Thank you SeaDawg,

I went to the Vanishing Rabbit and the model they sell is called "Miraculous Penetration by Vincenzo Di Fatta". This version is also on some sites familiar to me (Dennis Loomis, Frank Starsini, etc.).

Jamie, If this is the thicker, better built version, (like SeaDawg's and mine), then maybe Vincenzo Di Fatta is the inventor (or maybe he obtained the rights to manufacture the original version).

Douglas M.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4763 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Jamie,

I have a version (created by Dick Zimmerman) I purchased back in the early nineties. The trick is called Clearly Impossible.

In this version a matchbox, needle and a thin ribbon (which is attached to the needle) are used. The matchbox is penetrated by the needle and ribbon. The box is shown on all sides. When the box is opened, a block of clear lucite plastic is found inside totally filling the drawer.

Nothing is gimmicked and all may be examined. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Danny Orleans
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago
119 Posts

Profile of Danny Orleans
I reviewed Matchbox Penetration (Cerillas Bloque in Spanish) for Genii Magazine in 1996, I believe. The prop was released first by Selecciones Magicas, a dealer in Barcelona Spain. The brass block was significantly thicker than the knock-offs seen today, and the gimmick moved lengthwise rather than widthwise within the block. For those of you not sure what you have, the original block is purposely "scratched" on all surfaces to hide the gimmickry. It measures 1.75" x 1.25" and is 1/2" thick.

Using the needle/ribbon device to penetrate is a bad idea because when spectators try it themselves during the post-trick examination period, they will damage the metal right at the point where the gimmick is located. It is a MUCH better idea to use one of the following items instead of the needle: a bar straw, a toothpick, a "sword-shaped" toothpick used to hold large deli sandwiches together (available free at Treasure Island in Las Vegas) or a (duh!) matchstick.

Currently, the only dealer that I know that has them in stock is Magic, Inc. in Chicago. Sandy Marshall (Jay's son) made a trip to Spain last summer and bought a bunch of them.

I have been performing this trick as part of my professional repertoire for 15 years. In my routine the block magically appears in the matchbox which is shown empty and examined by spectators. I have published the instructions for the routine and offer them as part of my lecture "Corporate Magic" which I've done in NJ, Philly, Orlando, Minneapolis and Chicago. You may purchase the Matchbox Penetration with my instructions for $90 from me. I think the price is the same from Magic Inc.

Congratulations to Jamie Grant on creating a version compatible with a card box. I hope to have the opportunity to review it for Genii Magazine.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7008 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Danny, that sounds like a great routine!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2550 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Paul Diamond put out a version years ago.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Wasn't the original creator Robb Stiff? Right on the box for his "Matchbox Penetration" it says "Robb Stiff, Magic Creator". It certainly leaves the impression that he invented it!

LOL,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Only problem, is that whoever purchases this from him is going to get "stiffed."
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
And just in case you're wondering why this thread is alive after 5 years, lol...

TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Who Invented Matchbox Penetration? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL