We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Who Invented Matchbox Penetration? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
pikass
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of pikass
Penguin has a similar trick called "Matchbox Mystery". Momentarily as a CoolBox offer!
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2474 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Now that it is 2014, anybody know a source of a good quality matchbox penetration that is thick with a very well hidden gimmick? Thanks.
CdnAndrew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
151 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
Paul, are you familiar with Industrial Revelation? It's the size of a card box and solid steel. It's thick and vey well hidden. However it's not technically a matchbox penetration, it's a cardbox penetration. Worth getting if you're ok with the cardbox. I don't know about the matchbox sizes as I'm so impressed by IR. It's so heavy, it's just incredible looking.

Andrew
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1277 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2007-07-21 19:17, Douglas.M wrote:
I have an old one that a fellow magician gave to me years ago. The brass piece is very thick; it practically fills up the entire box, plus the mechanism is well camouflaged and precision-machined. The ones I see online now are much thinner. I guess that saves the manufacturer money.
It is sad! Once something becomes popular, "entrepreneuers" mass produce chincy ones in China that flood the market and squeeze out the ones that are actually crafted with care (magic shops are forced to order the crap models or lose customers).
I have never seen a matchbox penetration block like mine, but I know they must be out there..
Douglas M.

I had one that fits your description I think. (hint: the hole it creates, is not round but a very little rectangle. When the penetration is done, you can "close" the hole, just by pushing a little on the outside of the small side of the matchbox)
The colour of the block was yellow-gold. (brass)
If it is that model that you are talking about: I had mine certainly more than 30 years ago I think.
I have it no more. Sold it at an auction for magicians and I don't remember where I purchased it then.
I bought everything and everywhere in those days Smile
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I just can't believe 8 years have gone by, lol!! Wha!??!?
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22923 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I always thought the matchbox penetration was created from the classic brass nut release trick. Same principle, same gimmicks.

Many are mixing up non-gimmicked tricks with the gimmicked version. As far as thickness, the most logical reason is because, thick match boxes have faded out and thinner boxes are being sold today. Thus the need for a thinner brass block.

Dick Zimmerman's version sounds just like the Eddie Joseph version, made and marketed by Abbott's Magic Co., Colon, Michigan. Joseph's come with a steel plate, large needle, ribbon and match box, absolutely no gimmick.
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Hey guys !

I have one, can't say if this is one of the first model. I had IR and the mechanism on my brass block is not the same, maybe someone who had one of the first run could pm so I won't expose anything here.
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review Channel, new reviews coming every week ! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1157 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Darn.....
When I first opened this; I was all excited thinking that Jamie decided to do Magic Friday again!!!

Oh well. Great to see old threads come up..

Mike
Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
of the JV Naughty Vanish....
883 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
I have soooo many versions its ridiculous. From glass to steel to brass.... I love Eddie Gibsons version.... But Jamies will always reign supreme.

-J-
I don't care how fast or slow you are.... As long as I am faster.. -J-
ronzo
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of ronzo
I have one from many years ago. The matchbox is in Spanish (Tres Estrellas). The block fills up the entire box. Sounds like the same one described by Danny Orleans. I just got an email today from Penguin announcing Matchbox Mystery. There is a video demo. Same effect, but the block doesn't fill the whole box--it's thinner (in height). Looks good.
ronzo
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of ronzo
I have one from many years ago. The matchbox is in Spanish (Tres Estrellas). The block fills up the entire box. Sounds like the same one described by Danny Orleans. I just got an email today from Penguin announcing Matchbox Mystery. There is a video demo. Same effect, but the block doesn't fill the whole box--it's thinner (in height). Looks good.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12354 Posts

Profile of John C
Coincidentally they have a matchbox on new arrivals at penguin.

Huh.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Pedro Nieves
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
51 Posts

Profile of Pedro Nieves
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to touch base with anybody interested in the Original Matchbox Penetration "Cerillas Bloques" to let you know that Magic Inc. in Chicago just bought the manufacturing and distribution rights from Selecciones Magicas. Jose Llacer came up with the concept and the original Brass Block Penetration in 1995, and since then it has become a modern day classic. Unfortunately many "versions" of the trick have come into the market since. Most used a simplified manufacturing process that unfortunatelly is not as mysterious in the workings (split-down-the-middle).

So, since Llacer and Selecciones Magicas were no longer making these, we decided to give it the royal treatment! We bought the rights, and are now making them in the USA (right here in Chicago). We also made 2 little adjustments that make this even quieter than the original, and that keep the secret hidden even when the piece starts to tarnish (no more half circle on the short side).

As a bonus, when you buy this from us you will get a copy of Danny Orlean's Magic Alchemy routine, which in my opinion is the best routine for this trick. It takes it from a puzzle (how did the match go through the block) to MAGIC! (where did the metal block come from, and how did it get here?). Because of this, it throws the scent in the opposite direction of the original routine, and makes it a truly mystifying magic effect. This is the routine performed by both Marco Tempest and Steve Cohen in television appearances across the world! As a side note, you can only do this routine with the Original Matchbox Penetration, and not with any of the modern versions.

So, if you want to see Danny's routine, feel free to check it out on our site (same link as before):

http://www.magicinc.net/MagicBoxPenetrat......ion.aspx

And if you have any questions about this new version, the workings, routine or anything else relating to this, please do not hesitate to ask, either here or through PM.

Cheers,

Pedro Nieves
Magic Inc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Who Invented Matchbox Penetration? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL