The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Creature or Diablo? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
I've searched the Café for both and read the reviews for Creature but the search for Diablo turns up the 'usual' Diablo and not the one similar to Creature.
Does anybody have (or have info on) both?
I would like to make an informed choice before I order.
I'm sure that someone can help me - I just hope they read this!

Regards, Mike
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Not to many people are fond of Creature. A lot has to do with the creator. I got mine from a friend here on the Café and I love the little Tyke. Don't use it all the time but in the right moment and lighting you can get some screams. That is of course you have to have your spec down that path of Astonishment. Diablo for me would be pushing it to much.
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
I got it when first advertised and I must say I was lucky to get one that was well made.

Many people I know were not so lucky and complained about poor quality,defective creatures and a non existent customer service from Arlen studios.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2085 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I would be very weary about ordering anything from Arlen Studios. Keith Lack has not responded to any of my emails. I sent him a money order more than a month ago (his PayPal wasn't working), and as far as I know, he has my money (although he has not responded to my emails to confirm this or tell me he didn't receive it), but I do not have his item. Save yourself some grief.

Regards, Steve
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Thanks guys,

I've read several other posts about the man in question Smile
I'd rather get it from the maker direct but I'm covered by any magic supplier I order it from regarding the defectivity (?)
It sounds like the creature itself is a good effect as long as I get a quality one.

Does this sound like a fair summary Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Yes, that's a fair summary. I had problems with my first "Creature" and Keith not only replaced it, he sent three more so I could choose the best out of the bunch. Out of the four, I got one that was acceptable and one that was usable with a bit of work on my part. It'll be better once he perfects his casting technique (bubbles, thin spots,...)
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Cheers Dave,

Was that recently or a while ago?

It seems that early on folks got the service you describe but more recently people have had problems.

MIKE
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
I dunno about anyone else, but I just go to a crafts store, buy a few different-looking "doll arms" (in, roughly, Barbie Doll-sizes) take 'em home, and in my effect, a hand reaches out from my cupped hands rather than a whole creature. I sometimes have to play with the ends so that they'll fit snugly.

--Josh
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Josh,
That's exactly what I did too. I even hot glued a few pieces of silk leaves to give my "creature" some clothes.

Mike,
This was very early on. I haven't had any dealings with him since then.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Okay, I went for it and got the Creature pack (of 3)
Big disappointment!!
Not sure if these are Keith originals or just made on his behalf but the quality is awful. Far too thick (looks like I've got E.T.'s fingers) and the face detail is very poor.
The colour contrast to my hands might as well be black to white although from information received I was expecting to have to do something about that.
No amount of 'handling' is going to hide these.
What a shame - I've arranged a refund with my supplier.
Thanks for all your help on this matter.

Regards, Mike

:verysad: Smile
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Anyone have a link to this diablo thing? I wanna see what it looks like. When did Lack fall from grace? I thought he and some here in charge were pals.
Steve V
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
496 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Quote:
On 2006-07-18 13:41, Steve V wrote:
Anyone have a link to this diablo thing? I wanna see what it looks like. When did Lack fall from grace? I thought he and some here in charge were pals.
Steve V

Here you go, Steve!!
http://www.lrmagic.com/store/comersus_vi......duct=799
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
A D'lite Creature? Wild man, wild. I wonder in what context that goes over well?
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
If you are inclined to tiny monsters Doug Higley is now making tiny ones I believe. Look at the mini-mer on his homepage and see if that will be what you are looking for.

http://grindshow.com/
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
A cut lil' demon! Thank you for the link.
Steve V
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Thanks from me also. I spent ages trying to find my original link!

If anybdy has or gets Diablo, a review for all would be great or PM me if you're shy. Smile

Mike
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Or make your own from a vernet pinky and craftstore Sculpey minature doll faces - the molds cost about $5.

To be honest, I haven't tried this yet, but it sure looks to be on target.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Creature or Diablo? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL