The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Magic Squares (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Does any one do Magic Squares as a comedy bit?
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Zamboni
View Profile
New user
Australia
59 Posts

Profile of Zamboni
Check out John Archer's Tragic Square on the Educating Archer DVD. He uses the premise of breaking his own record for number squares.
late night diner
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of late night diner
Plus, he's got a clever way of concealing the cribs.
Neil_Brown
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of Neil_Brown
I mooted a routine where I completed a magic square, to a total requested by the audience, if I remember correctly, whilst juggling three clubs. It fell by the wayside in the end, although it's still something I think about trying again. The comedy came from the attempt to do something which required concentration whilst juggling, and the general difficulties in writing whilst juggling, but, I guess it just never caught me enough to bother progressing it past the ideas stage!
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
What do you think of asking for a number between one and one hundred....if one is chosen between 34 and 100...you're away. If a number below 34 is chosen you can always ask another person to add on to it until it is between these numbers...so as to appear totally 'fair and random.'
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 00:39, Ireland wrote:
What do you think of asking for a number between one and one hundred....if one is chosen between 34 and 100...you're away. If a number below 34 is chosen you can always ask another person to add on to it until it is between these numbers...so as to appear totally 'fair and random.'

Again, see Archer's DVD. He has a very good way to deal with that problem.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Check out Archers square. can't compliment it enough! has the audience in hysterics and they're amazed aswell. plus it builds up to a grand finale, each revelation gets a bigger round of applause than the previous, and his quick wit will have you laughing all the way. very good to watch....but I wouldn't like to try it in his style. I'm sure his energy can't be matched...no one could pull it off like he does!
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I just recieved Tragic Square after ordering it based on the reviews above and I must say I was dissapointed. I didn't think it was particularly funny. It was just a magic square done very fast which is the way it should always be done in my opinion. Just my two cents, no offense to anyone who recommended it.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Funny mentalism?

Archer will be kicked out of the Arched Eye Brow Association of Ultra Serious Psychic Performers (AEBAUSPP)

Chuck Hickcck has the best 'build' of a magic square I have seen. The basic concept is that he pauses for applause and the interupts to say...."wait, wait...there is more!"

Ir's very funny and it builds the applause!
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
I must say, I too was disappointed with this trick on the Archer DVD. It wasn't a hilarious routine, as stated before. It had it's funny moments, but it wouldn't work in a comedy venue or comedy club. That being said, I did like the DVDs, he had some other good ideas and routines. However, if you're looking for a hilarious magic square, this isn't it. IMHO
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
Archers DVD is ok. a bit ho hum.

His smash and stab video .. now that's no laughing matter .. ouch!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I'm guessing very few of you have seen Harry Anderson perform his magic square routine. Funniest thing you'll ever see, and it threw him off when my wife (algebra teacher) kept up with the numbers (in her head, of course) and gave him the correct answer everytime he did it. It's combined with a card counting "explanation" routine, too...makes it attention-getting for all those card game watchers.

Steve
Buster Balloon
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Buster Balloon
John Stetson does a brilliant and hilarious version. Before I saw him do it, I could not understand why anyone would ever attempt to present that as entertainment. Now I catch his act every time he is at the Magic Castle, and my favorite part of his set is always the magic square.
Buster Balloon
Creative Genius, Balloon Twisting Savant, & Pre-Sweetened Breakfast Cereal Connoisseur
http://BusterBalloon.com
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On 2006-11-02 03:12, Buster Balloon wrote:
John Stetson does a brilliant and hilarious version. Before I saw him do it, I could not understand why anyone would ever attempt to present that as entertainment. Now I catch his act every time he is at the Magic Castle, and my favorite part of his set is always the magic square.

From what I remember, Jon has the number selected prior to the show. He then asks for the person that picked a number to stand and he "divines" the number by filling out the square and then asks for the number to be named out loud. Any thoughts on having a random number asked during the show vs. doing pre-show work as Jon does? His routine kills, but I wonder what others think about the pre-show work?

Ken
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of archini
Quote:
On 2006-10-27 21:59, Joey Brummett wrote:
I must say, I too was disappointed with this trick on the Archer DVD. It wasn't a hilarious routine, as stated before. It had it's funny moments, but it wouldn't work in a comedy venue or comedy club. That being said, I did like the DVDs, he had some other good ideas and routines. However, if you're looking for a hilarious magic square, this isn't it. IMHO

Hi Joey,

Interesting observation and I'm happy to accept that some (maybe many) won't like my routine. We all have different tastes and that's a good thing. However when you say it wouldn't work in a comedy club or comedy venue then I must disagree and defend it The routine has and does work very well in comedy club/ venues. Maybe You mean a comedy club in the states in which case you could be right I have only performed it once in the States and that was not a comedy club (Abbotts get together) though it did go well. We can agree to disagree but if you pay the costs and I'll happily come over and prove you wrong ;-)

Regards,

John
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
John,
Thanks for the reply. That was just my take on it. It may very well work for you in the club. You may be able to pull it off better than I would. It was a funny routine, and would work excellent for corporate work, but I was just looking at it from a laughs per minute point of view. However, your on stage persona is much different than mine, so possibly it would work for you, and apparently it does.
That being said, I did think your DVD was one of the best on comedic magic I've seen in a while.

Joey
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Thanks a lot John Archer.I opened your Educating Archer DVD"s today Nov.4 at 1:00 PM.It is now NOV.5 2:36 AM...mostly because of your dang Magic Square Routine!......I love it! Smile

I was very pleased to realize that I only had to memorize the first crib square (-34) to be able to do all the #'s up to 99...so no cribs needed! Yahoo!and goodnight.

Rich
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of archini
Thanks Joey,

Like I said we all have opinions and sometimes they are different but still right. What I mean is that a lot of problems have more than one answer and trying to find the definitive anything is not always a good idea.

Oh and thanks Rich.... if I could trust my memory I would probably ditch the cribs too. Smile

John
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I should add that I really enjoyed the DVD (Educating Archer) overall I just didn't think that the Tragic Square stood out as particularly funny. I have already adapted several of the routines that I learned on the DVD though and used some of it at a comedy club last night.
magicdano
View Profile
Regular user
Danny Habel
144 Posts

Profile of magicdano
I saw John Archer for the first time at the 2007 Mindvention in Las Vegas. He did the Magic Square and impressed all of us. His DVD is sensational. If you want to learn the magic square, watch him perform. You may wish to modify it to meet your style but you cannot ask for a better model to start with for a Magic Square.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Magic Squares (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL