The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Something better than magician's wax? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
122 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Greetings,
I do a bill trick that has a gimmick (partial bill) stuck to a real bill. I like to carry this around in my wallet and I use a small dab of magician's wax to keep the gimmick stuck to the real bill. The routine goes like this...I pull out the bill with the gimmick hidden and at some point, I need to separate the gimmick from the bill and append it to a different bill. The problem is that after carrying the bill and gimmick around in my wallet and sitting on it, the gimmick becomes really STUCK to the bill so it doesn't just come right off. I've tried using just a very small quantity of magician's wax but it still holds almost like double sticky tape.

Can anyone suggest a different substance to use to attach the gimmick to a bill that will adhere well, but not to the point (especially after sitting on the wallet) that it becomes a challenge to separate the two without being obvious to the spectator?
Would "blue tack" work?
Thanks!
Bob L.
Bursky
View Profile
New user
West Hollywood, Ca.
78 Posts

Profile of Bursky
I would try blue tack.
ChrixF
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ChrixF
I don't know if blue tack or magician's wax work. I use dental wax(probably similar to magician's wax). I get dental wax from my orthodontist and since I have braces I get it free after every appointment. Try dental wax if you'd like.

Hope this helps,
Chrix
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I first thought of double-stick tape, but it would be fairly easy for the tape to stay stuck to the bill instead of the gaff. I also thought of a spot of rubber cement on the gaff. Although, I don't know how well that would hold up.

Blue-tac should work. I've carried it around in my pocket before for IT work.

BTW - If you want to try dental wax, it can be found in any drug store. It's really soft compared to most magician's wax. It comes in a small plastic container and smells minty fresh!

Best
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
"Restickable" glue stick...
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Jon LeClair uses a flesh color putty for his IT routines. That's also what I have been using. It sticks well to cards and bills and has a softer texture.

Maybe some silly putty will also work.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
The same adhesive used on 3M Post-It notes can be bought at most craft stores. I think that's what Conus is referring to above. I also use a very small amount of rubber cement sometimes for similar requirements. You apply it just to the gaff, then let it dry before sticking it to the bill.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
3M sells "post-it" glue in spray. You spray it on your surfave, wait for, say, 1 minute, and stick the papers together. You then can unstick and restick them together forever.
You can use a cut piece of paper or cardboard to act as a partial shield to spray the glue following a specific pattern (I don't know the english word for that stratagem that is used when doing spray paintings.)
Very practical and useful. Way more than wax, for what you need.
Jonathan.
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
I have used some of the "stuff" that is used to stick promotional post cards to the pages of a magazine.

Have never tried the post-it spray but it sounds like great.

Kevin
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I have used that sticky stuff too and it's great for certain applications as it has really strong holding power, yet it's still removable. My only complaint with it is that it loses it sticky qualities fairly easily compared to some other things.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
I use 3M "ReMount" spray. It works better than double stick tape on cards, and a small amount on a bill should work also. I couldn't find it in stores around here (south of Boston, MA) so I ordered it online from framingsupplies.com.

- Duane
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
3M "ReMount" spray

I haven't bought this since it was about $16 a can. Instead I've used a "removable Glue Stic" by Avery. As mentioned above, it produces a suface somewhat similar to a post-it note(but not exactly the same).

I've used this in bill switches on fake bills(which tend to be a bit slippery), so that I can manuever them around better. And like Brillcream (sp), a little dab will do ya.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
I have not used magician's wax in years. Off brand plain chap stick works great. It's available everywhere and it's cheap. It's also easy to carry and apply. I assume the trick that you are reffering to is Eugene's Last Dollar. This has been in my wallet for three years. I perform it almost everyday.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Double stick tape should also work. You'll need to "touch" the tape multiple times to remove most of the "stick." Maybe that would work for you.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Try regular Chap Stick...I have know idea if it will work but worth a try.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I like that chap stick idea... gotta try it. I've read recently that it's also great for the ashes on arm effects. Whenever I can carry something that has multiple applications I get that warm feeling inside Smile
cardsharpist
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of cardsharpist
Wouldn't chapstick be too oily and stain the bill?
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Be Careful about the "Fun Tac" (Blue, yellow, white or whatever color)-- There is DEFINITELY oils in it and will stain paper over a couple of weeks, or sooner. Take a look at posters you apply it to. In college, I had a few posters up for 2-3 months and not only did it stain the back of the poster with a dark brown-grayish color, but my walls had a stain.

Since then, I applied it to other papers and cardboard. . . Yep-- You guessed it. . . Stains, Stains, STAINS!!!!
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
silverzer0
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of silverzer0
I use silly putty. Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Is it really necessary that it be stuck to the bill, and if so, why? Does it have to line up exactly on another bill? A change in handling can eliminate the need for wax, in some cases.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Something better than magician's wax? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL