The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Toibox Review!!! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12~13~14 [Next]
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
Thanks, Cody!
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Thanks Magicmania.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
I have a simple question about what your receive for the $19.95. In Magicmania's initial review he described an effect that uses three boxes. Looking on the website it says that you receive a single tin. I don't see an option to purchase additional tins (wihtout the set of instructions), or is this a standard mint tin that you could purchse additional ones at most stores?

-Brian
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Yes there is a source given for mint tins...I do not suspect that they will be hard to find...if you have access to a WallGreens you are good to go!

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 18:40, ekins wrote:
I have a simple question about what your receive for the $19.95. In Magicmania's initial review he described an effect that uses three boxes. Looking on the website it says that you receive a single tin. I don't see an option to purchase additional tins (wihtout the set of instructions), or is this a standard mint tin that you could purchse additional ones at most stores?

-Brian

The creator mentions he will tell you where to buy the tins. I think 7-11 has them.
They are just mint tins.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
In the context of the routine the spectator removing their unsigned card makes perfect sence and plays much stronger then you removing their signed card. I have never had a layman come close to explaining this effect. I have even openly exposed exactly how it works and they still say "But how do you get it in the tin"? Smile

My magic is known for it's simple and direct nature. I like to take an effect "shake it up" until all the loose ends fall off and all that is left is a simple direct effect that hits hard and is accomplished with as little work as possible. ToiBox definately fits into that category.
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
360 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
If I can pull an unsigned card out of a box at the end of the trick I'm in. This is an effect I have wanted to do for a while and was looking for a suitable method but couldn't find it.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Why is this this Toibox thing such a big deal?

It looks to me like just another version of many card to box effects which use the same slieghts..ala Kennedy's Mystery Box, Viking's Billet Box, Green's Mission Impossible, etc.

It seems to me like this can be done with any small box using that same principal, with the second production being an unsigned card that was selected after the signed card is removed.

I watched the video and it looks fishy when the box is so quickly closed after the production.

If the spectator could pull out the signed card, it would have been in the video. Heck, you wouldn't need a routine.

This appears to be someone else's version of an old idea. Kennedy's Box or John's Destination Box are far better in my opinion.
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
360 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
Can you do the allen/kennedy box tricks with an unsigned card? I don't like having cards signed very much so I think toi box will suit me betetr as the card is unsigned.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 22:27, simon hughes wrote:
Can you do the allen/kennedy box tricks with an unsigned card? I don't like having cards signed very much so I think toi box will suit me betetr as the card is unsigned.

Sure, you can do unsigned card to box tricks with any box. Kennedy's box allows the card to be signed and the box shown empty upon removal. Better yet, Allen's allows the spectator to remove the card from a small pillbox that was found inside a locked wooden box in view the whole effect. These are spectacular!
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 22:16, tdowell wrote:
Why is this this Toibox thing such a big deal?

It looks to me like just another version of many card to box effects which use the same sleights...ala Kennedy's Mystery Box, Viking's Billet Box, Green's Mission Impossible, etc.

It seems to me like this can be done with any small box using that same principal, with the second production being an unsigned card that was selected after the signed card is removed.

I watched the video and it looks fishy when the box is so quickly closed after the production.

If the spectator could pull out the signed card, it would have been in the video. Heck, you wouldn't need a routine.

This appears to be someone else's version of an old idea. Kennedy's Box or John's Destination Box are far better in my opinion.

Are the spectator going to care that the box is closed to quickly? No, there attention will be on the folded up card.

Quote:
On 2006-07-11 22:35, tdowell wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 22:27, simon hughes wrote:
Can you do the Allen/Kennedy box tricks with an unsigned card? I don't like having cards signed very much so I think toi box will suit me better as the card is unsigned.

Sure, you can do unsigned card to box tricks with any box. Kennedy's box allows the card to be signed and the box shown empty upon removal. Better yet, Allen's allows the spectator to remove the card from a small pillbox that was found inside a locked wooden box in view the whole effect. These are spectacular!

Yes, but this is Much more compact and can be done anywhere and still has a very strong effect to lay audiences.
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
This effect offers nothing new. Doug Brewer, Tommy Wonder, Paul Green, the list goes on and on with recent contributors to this age-old card effect. Contributions that actually improve the effect and offer something worth studying.

It was actually kinda embarrassing watching the demo. I'd love to see the creator perform the ******* **** with his hands in the camera frame, lol.

Magicmania,

Do you receive proceeds from sales of the Toi Box?
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Magicmania - I never said Toibox is a bad effect, but it seems to be one of a number of effects today that don't really add anything new to other effects using the same principal. There really isn't anything new here.

As for the spectator, I think it has ten times the impact when they immediately see the empty box with no fishy moves or cover. I've had people grab my Mystery Box right after the revelation and start examining it right away only to find nothing. That's powerful stuff.

It seems to me that repeating the effect with an unsigned card is anticlimactic, but likely necessary to end clean in toibox. Toibox isn't a bad effect or routine, but I think other products/routines are as good if not better.

In my opinion, put the money towards Allen's or Kennedy's box. Money well spent on professional props that make it look impossible.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I watched the demo at first the handling looked great then I went back and looked at it again, Charlie c is correct the hands went out of frame,The demo that is shown is an old concept as already stated, if the tin was empty and then the signed card pulled out this would be a killer effect but it does not do this.
I rather stay with paper clipped by Jay Sankey a paper clip is much easier
to carry around than haveing two or three tin boxes in your pocket..
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
With the "Anything Wallet", you can show a small empty wallet, leave it on the table, have a card appear inside of it and then remove the signed card, showing the wallet to be empty afterwards. And it fits in your breast pocket.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 23:22, CharlieC wrote:
Magicmania,

Do you receive proceeds from sales of the Toi Box?

LOL. No I don't. I'm just trying to help with Jonathan's sales as much as possible.

Quote:
On 2006-07-11 23:44, tdowell wrote:
Magicmania - I never said Toibox is a bad effect, but it seems to be one of a number of effects today that don't really add anything new to other effects using the same principal. There really isn't anything new here.

As for the spectator, I think it has ten times the impact when they immediately see the empty box with no fishy moves or cover. I've had people grab my Mystery Box right after the revelation and start examining it right away only to find nothing. That's powerful stuff.

It seems to me that repeating the effect with an unsigned card is anticlimactic, but likely necessary to end clean in toibox. Toibox isn't a bad effect or routine, but I think other products/routines are as good if not better.

In my opinion, put the money towards Allen's or Kennedy's box. Money well spent on professional props that make it look impossible.

I wasn't implying to you that I thought you were implying it was a bad effect. I don't have Kennedy's box or any other box because I do not wish to spend some outrageous price for it. This came along and I said to myself, This is a deal! So I bought it.

Quote:
On 2006-07-11 23:57, cfrancis wrote:
With the "Anything Wallet", you can show a small empty wallet, leave it on the table, have a card appear inside of it and then remove the signed card, showing the wallet to be empty afterwards. And it fits in your breast pocket.

Can you supply a link?
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
The creator himself has never seen Tommy Wonder's card to box.
I seriously think if anyone sees Tommy's version, they will not want any other.

Tommy Wonder's Visions of Wonder Vol 3 $32

VOLUME 3 (146 minutes)
NEST OF BOXES - Tommy discusses in tremendous detail three unbelievable versions of the Borrowed Watch to Nest of Boxes. You will shake your head in disbelief and be absolutely dumbfounded.

COINS ACROSS - A combination of the Coins Across plot, a coin box routine, and a wonderful Coin in Eye routine to close. This gets the same strong reaction of the Card On Forehead but with coins. Practical and incredibly strong.

AMBITIOUS CARD PLUS RING BOX - See why a card trick gets standing ovations time after time. Tommy slowly builds and builds the impossibility of the classic Ambitious Card effect and ends with one of the best versions of the signed card to box plot in existence.

Tommy also demonstrates his fabulous handlings for two classic effects-Card Through Handkerchief and Everywhere and Nowhere.

I'm not knocking Toibox, but why would someone buy something that is inferior to effects that already exist?

James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 23:44, tdowell wrote:

You make a good point. People don't grab Toibox. They don't suspect the box. The Kennedy and any unique looking box screams "GIMMICK" I don't care how well someone manufactures it to look ungimmicked.
Magic is always stronger with normal everyday looking props. Same reason none of us would perform with Black Tiger cards. Spectators would simply believe the cards are "tricky"

When I do a private show I often let the spectator who helped me keep the tin! Can't do that with a Gimmicked Box and that is extremly powerful to the audience. The simpler you make your magic the stronger it becomes.

Some of you are still commenting on the video and it was explained that the video was only to show what kind of effect Toibox is and in no way should be compared to routines and handling you are getting in the book. ToiBox is different then the Bruno Hennig and the Kaps version and other versions. Please stop criticizing something you have not even bothered to learn about.

All the different card to box effects all have a place in the magic world. They all have their shining moment. They all have that time when that is the best box to use. ToiBox in my opinion shines when it comes to working restaurants. Nothing else plays this big while packing so small and has so much versatility with so little work.

, Jonathan
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 00:33, kammagic wrote:

Some of you are still commenting on the video and it was explained that the video was only to show what kind of effect Toibox is and in no way should be compared to routines and handling you are getting in the book. ToiBox is different then the Bruno Hennig and the Kaps version and other versions. Please stop criticizing something you have not even bothered to learn about.

Well, I think one of the many issues people have with the Toibox is that your product webpage is extremely misleading.

For instance, if the spectator could really remove the card as your website implies (signed card), I would have bought 2 on the spot. Luckily, I found this thread.

Don't get me started on the demo.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 01:28, CharlieC wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 00:33, kammagic wrote:

Well, I think one of the many issues people have with the Toibox is that your product webpage is extremely misleading.

For instance, if the spectator could really remove the card as your website implies (signed card), I would have bought 2 on the spot. Luckily, I found this thread.

Don't get me started on the demo.

Tell me how Jonathan implied the card the spectator removes from the tin is signed. Jonathan has not mislead any of you. Stop making up stuff.

I won't get you started on the demo because there is nothing to be started. It has already ended.
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Toibox Review!!! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL