The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What's the purpose for a book test? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Ask anyone "What's a card trick?" and they'll tell you. Ask them " What's mind reading?" and they'll tell you.
Ask someone....."What's a book test?" and see what they say....
I'd never heard the term until I started reading about Mentalism.
Soooo....What's the purpose of a book test?
Thanks
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Entertainment? A book test is a way for a mentalist or magician to illustrate her "mind reading" abilities in a (hopefully) entertaining manner.
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
I have never and would never call the performance of a book test a "book test".

It is a pyschic demonstration or something like that. To me, the phrase book test is merely shorthand for describing an effect where a word selected from a book is divined.

Put another way, I don't think you can equate "book test" with "card trick". Who remembers their SATs? I think something more along these lines: a "book test" is to a "pychic demonstration" as "ambitious card" is to "card trick".

I never say book test just as I never say ambitious card.
Cognite tute
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
A book test is a way of decreasing the mentalists odds at success....
xxx
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
LOL....
Carlos is right with the comparison. However...How did book tests get started? Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember reading the perfect answer to this, I just don't remember the answer. It has to do with the book's writer and other things that are pertinent to the situation....Not just....The first word on page 212 is GO...Know what I mean?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
A book test is a good way to make money from mentalists.

Jim

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Well. In my demonstrations I use the theory of memory as a form of a super mental feat and as such I can memorize whats on every page yadda yadda. I also have been known to use the theory of focusing a thought and bringing it to the surface/ "Our minds hold a lot of data so to detect a thouoght sometimes it's easier to focus the mind on one word or phrase..."

Posted: Jul 10, 2006 8:39pm
---------------------------------------------
Seriously could you imagine how boring of a show it would be if it was just me and 400 people? Think of a word. Got it. Think of a name. Got it....
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
As one of my good friends often reminded me way back...

You have two royal roads, two major schools if you will - OVERCLOUD and OVEREMPHASIS

The first is more the school following the teachings of the grand founder of the old "E Pluribus Unum" school, Alainus Bellonibus.

The second is from the old school of "Real X Medianicosis" and follows the teachings of the founder and grand master Gustamara Adelphi Rollov.

Both ways are good, both work.

People who deny that both ways work, do that just because they strictly learned to present and to abide blindly to ONE WAY ONLY, and have refused a priori to embrace the other way too.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
351 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
Of course you don't call it a book test; you can call it an "interesting demonstration." If a mentalist predicts something that is thought of or that will occur in the future, he (or she) may need a way of proving that he has made a correct prediction--hence the book. It's documentation of the successful reading of a mind or prediction of the a future event. Certainly, a mentalist can use some other type of documentation, but a book is handy and accepted by an audience as an non-tricky item of everyday use. I like book tests.
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
Craig Kyle
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Craig Kyle
Its a tax on the stupid
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Who did the first book tests, and Why?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
No, I wouldn't call it a book test if speaking to a laymen. No one wants to take a test.

I use books for a demonstration of my ability to speed read or "scan" a book very quickly and/or a memory demonstration. I don't call it "mind reading."

John
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
Quote:
On 2006-07-10 20:14, Jim-Callahan wrote:
A book test is a good way to make money from mentalists.

Jim

H.O.A-X

Jim,
That gave me a good laugh, never a truer word spoken.

Also just for my 2 cents worth, book tests that are for only 1 or 2 words are pointless, PCT or peek of their own word is just as good and more personal. If you gonna do ....yuk... a book test get a paragraph out of it , not just a word.

regards

steve

still chuckling at Jim's comment
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
If you are using the Hoy book test, then the Hoy book test is the shortest distance between the mentalist and the business card in the spec's hand.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
The "book test" was not invented by magicians; it was acquired from British actress and medium Gladys Osborne Leonard, through her work with the Society for Psychical Research in the early part of the twentieth century. The first book test was supposedly suggested by Mrs. Leonard's spirit guide, Feda. In a successful test, a "spirit" would direct a sitter to retrieve, say, the ninth book from the left on the third shelf down. Upon opening the book to a page named by the spirit, the sitter would discover that the text made reference to something that would only be significant to the sitter and the spirit. Magicians of course immediately recognized the potential to make all this drama into a dull puzzle. And the rest is history.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Well, to each his own. But on Independence Day, I premiered my routine using the DBT for a group at my parents' house. The response was great! So a one or two word book test routine can effective if it's framed correctly.

Joe L.

Quote:
On 2006-07-10 22:23, howdoidisconnect wrote:

Also just for my 2 cents worth, book tests that are for only 1 or 2 words are pointless, PCT or peek of their own word is just as good and more personal. If you gonna do ....yuk... a book test get a paragraph out of it , not just a word.

regards

steve

still chuckling at Jim's comment

My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
I am not saying it can't be effective. my point was a word chosen from a book seems to serve no purpose when compared to a name held dear or a special place etc.
My issue with book tests when used for a one or two word reveal is that...yes I know it can be very effective, but why not just read their mind with a loved one that isn't there, why some dead word from a book.

Hence why I said if you came back with ' now read in your mind on that page, and a few seconds later you start reciting that paragraph, you are either reading their mind, or have memorized the enitre book and caught a glimspe of the page, either way I think it is far stronger than just one word.

I have tried a number of book tests and they have just never felt right, I do use Richard osterlind magizine test, that's some good fun. But if I do a book test, which I use a few different methods I do it with a good chunk of text revealed.
And leave the one word to something of meaning to the spec like a loved one.

Anyway, just an opinion. Each to his own heh!

kind regards

steve
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Personally, I do word revelations only in impromptu situations.
If permitted, I would rather have spectator just read the passage, visualize what he reads. And I describe or draw what I 'see'.
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
940 Posts

Profile of nique
Maybe someone needed a method to get a "thought" of word - hence the book.

I don't favour booktests, though there're some around that are really good. Rather they think of a word straight up. Then again the discussion about variety in a show made by Scott may be a valid point.

And yeah... why a book?
https://youtube.com/user/nateuqin

"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

"TAP - The Assignment Prediction"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
Shadowrunner
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Shadowrunner
Quote:
On 2006-07-10 20:39, Scott Xavier wrote:
Seriously could you imagine how boring of a show it would be if it was just me and 400 people? Think of a word. Got it. Think of a name. Got it.....

- Almost Dunninger's act?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What's the purpose for a book test? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL