The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy magicians who aren't funny! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Okay, this may be a pet peeve, but I see magicians out there who aren't funny but promote themselves as "comedy magicians"! Maybe it sells better but I don't think doing a trick with a bra or banana bandana or whatever gives you the right to call yourself a "comedy magician".

I have met guys that aren't funny, they are not comedians and they probably don't have any original funny lines but yet they can call themselves "comedy magicians"!

Why does this annoy me so much? Are there others? Maybe we can start a support group.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
A support group? I like it!

Hello everyone. ...My name is Lyndel and I dislike comedy magicians who aren't funny!

Lyndel
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am already a charter member! Man it is also been my peeve for years. BUT you should just join my group about comedy magicians who are NEITHER comical nor magical.

Usually they butcher BOTH art forms, instead of sticking to just one.

They buy props that are "comedy" and think they work as such automatically.

Yep I am in.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks guys, I feel better now. But it will probably only last a short while. Maybe we can meet at Maccers on Tues mornings and vent... I'm buying.

Seriously though, I can really see why stand up comics would look down on "comedy magicians". If you are working hard writing comedy and then some magic geek comes along with his bra trick and tells you he is a "comedy magician" I think you have the right to puke on the spot. Preferably on his trousers.

Another thing I don't really get is the guy who in addition to being a "comedy magician" is also an "illusionist"... Is it just me who finds this strange? One minute they are producing doves with baeb assistants either side as if they were the hottest magician on earth, next thing they are doing a very plastic version of Jeff Hobson's card to mouth...in addition to the great classics with bras and bananas.

Okay, I am no comedy God, I have a LOT to learn. But I am working hard at it. Things like this frustrate me though. I was watching Chuck Fayne's dvd yesterday and he says something to the effect that you are free to do what he shows you in the lecture but don't say what he says! This I think is key, isn't it???

Am I wasting my energy? Am I wrong? Maybe I shouldn't worry about this and I should put my energy into becoming more original myself. that's a plan.

Support me or shoot me down.
Click here
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I'm on this bandwagon! The hacks really hurt my business.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I don't describe myself as a comedy magician although one of the shows I perform contains a lot of comedy. I think you're already shooting yourself in the foot before you even start by advertising yourself as a comedy magician. Your audience are expecting to be doubled over laughing, whilst being blown away by the magic at the same time. If you can't guarantee to be able to entertain as a 50/50 comedian/magician, don't advertise yourself as one. Leave it to the pro's in this field.

Mark
Mark Daniel
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Point is Chuck has said that for years, nobody seems to listen to him. They say what he does anyhow.

I am fortunate, most of my lines are quite spacific to my personality and my way of performing. I am really just an exageation of myself off stage. Which works out great.

I was working at Magic Inc. one weekend and a clown came it. I don't remember the context but I said "I don't have childhood memories as much as I have flashbacks". Not a huge funny line but in the right context worth a chuckle.

He then bluts out "I am gonna use that line.". Which I felt was strange as he first didn't ask, and B) was a clown and the line would really seem strange comming from him. But I guess it is easier than research.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Profile of Moyle with Parkinsons
I use comedy is my show but I am by no means a comedy magician and I don't sell myself like one. I think really comedy and magic goes hand in hand if you really want people to want to see you in a close up or and to some degree a stage situation magic by itself just doesn't cut it but just because you make people laugh while you do magic doesn't make you a comedy magician. Guys, this is not me saying "Well everyone is a comedy magician so stop whinging" this is me saying "Unless, as stated previously, you can excel in the performance of both arts you should not call yourself a comedic magician". Pehaps people who think the same as me are in short supply. Just another opinion from a ....magician.

Moyle
"Signatures cause far too much trouble!" an original quote by Moyle With Parkinsons.
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Be what you is, don't be what you ain't. Cause if you is what you ain't, then you ain't what you is!!! Read this but don't use it...
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Part of the problem is agents booking rooms too not just magicians....The room wants a comic magician and they hire the Amazing Amazo because on his or her promo shot he or she is holding a rubber chicken. So the agents thinks this person is funny. Also the audience is so Tuned into stand up comedy when ever they see a person holding a mic they demand some form of laughter.
I said this befor I wish some Magicians didn't try to be funny and just do the magic.
Cheers Chris
A magician that does Comedy but is billed as a Comedy Magician go figure....
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 23:09, Trois wrote:
Be what you is, don't be what you ain't. Cause if you is what you ain't, then you ain't what you is!!! read this but don't use it..

I like it and I wanna steal it!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
I knew someone would dig it ! enjoy Tampa Bill
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Comedy Magician's Blues:

I'm no comedy magician
no comedy magician's son
but I can make you laugh
till the comedy magician comes.

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Trois, Is that your line?

Lyndel
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
We just got back a couple of weeks ago from Vegas and you guessed it...one of the Hotel acts we saw was billed as a Comedy-Magician. I was bored out of my mind. All he did were illusions on a teeny tiny stage.
I guess all I can say is at least he got booked in Vegas but the question is for how long???
Promote yourself for what you do......

Bill
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
My card says Magic and Comedy.
I do not do comedy magic per se. I just have funny patter and funny situations arise.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Gawd I hate the word "patter". Makes us sound like we are just saying nonsense that nobody needs to listen too.

Well it may be appropriate in most cases, I just hate the word. Can we try to say "script"?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
I COMPLETELY agree. And frankly it makes me upset. I did a google search on comedy magicians to see whats out there, how they advertise, and so on. And I found A LOT of them say their act involves magic, illusions, audience participation and COMEDY. It's almost like EVERY magician thinks their a comedy magician just bcause "here take this card, show it to all your friends, that shouldnt take long" Give me a break.
BE a serious magician and knock the socks off your layman and get paid, but save the venue for those who would rather have (and have the ability) to make others laugh with magic.

Posted: Jul 15, 2006 11:06am
Richard Osterlind is one of the most powerful mentaists I've seen. In every performance he gets 1 or 2 good solid hearty laughs from the audience. (sometimes more) yet he does not say anything in his marketing about having comedy or being a comedy magican, WHY?!?!? For him he chooses to let his mentalism prevail, and it most certainly does.
Sometims I feel like these guys that put all this fluff into what their act supposedly contains, is just a cover up for doing decent magic with half way decent comedy.
Sorry for the rant but I figured some agreed.
VIVA LA COMEDY MAGIC!!!
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
So, how many laughs per minute does it take to make a comedy magician?

Edd
PS- So, you are saying I should cut the rubber chicken from my promo shots?
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I think it is more to do with where the laughs are coming from. Are they only coming from your bra and rubber chickens?

I want to work on being funny with my words instead of my props. Because everyone can buy the same props. Once you have a bunch of comedy props and comedy tricks together you are a "comedy magician" apparently.

I do other peoples routines like Whit Haydn's four ring routine. I get laughs from my audience and this feels good. BUT, surely there is more within me that I can give. Anyone can do Whit's routine if they get the video and practice. So, when I think like that I find the whole process a lot less satisfying. Whit is great, the routine is great, what am I? I just practiced it enough to be able to do it. To low on the food chain...

I am feeling a little bit down and negative about magic at the moment. I like the classics of magic, but too much of magic is the same. Someone sees someone do something and get a good rection so they start doing the same trick. And then that magician gets a good reaction and then he thinks he is great. The trick is probably so good that anyone could get a good reaction from it. Was it Steve Martin who said that people with no talent become magicians? I am beginning to think this is true.

I am beginning to think something like stand up comedy is a much more pure and beautiful art.

A little depressed about magic....
Still think it is better than an ofice job though.

Simon
Click here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy magicians who aren't funny! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL