The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy magicians who aren't funny! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have only met you briefly, but I hear more and more guys who say they will use your lines.

That is a compliment to you but a SLAM against the "explitive deleated" jerks who do it.

Actually I hope they read this.

Just to be off topic for a second, Christopher, that whole town is built on everyone using the SAME jokes! It is as if they have a meeting in January and decide which jokes are use for that year. If I heard ONE more person say "we gotta stick to the script" then the answer "script ain't funny" I don't know what I would do. It was sickening.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2611 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Why does anyone give a toss about what anyone else is doing? unless you're on stage for an entire audience just before I go on why would I care? And even then I'm hard pressed to be particularly bothered.

I'm intersteted to know why anyone else would be.

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Kind of begs the question why you would get involved in this thread then dosn't it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Danny,

One performer in particular, someone that I'm sure you are familiar with, actually made no secret that he was at the theater to steal a routine. Before the show, he quizzed my sound and lights tech about the music tracks I use, type of lighting, etc. He then went and made a fuss when I didn't perform the routine he came to steal. It's no secret that this is a common practice of his, I do know he is banned at other shows.

I deal with it by changing my show every 2-3 weeks and trying to stay ahead of them. On one occasion, I took an invoice to a performer that was using several of my own personal lines. I told him I had no problem if he wanted to use my material as long as the invoice was paid on receipt. At first he thought it was a joke and then later apologized.

The biggest kicker was when I was touring doing a lecture on creativity and intellectual property. I would invite attendees to bring in old props and I would help them come up with their own presentations based upon a short interview. After doing this for several months, I learned of a magician that had taken my lecture notes on intellectual property and xeroxed them, changed the name to his, and started his own lectures. This is why I stay away from most magicians now.
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
At this point you call in the lawyers as that is a clear case of theft. If you don't and just let this person get away with it, then you are condoning his actions. Alternatively you can sell him the right to perform your material as a franchise. The operative word being SELL.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-12-24 03:34, itshim wrote:
At this point you call in the lawyers as that is a clear case of theft. If you don't and just let this person get away with it, then you are condoning his actions. Alternatively you can sell him the right to perform your material as a franchise. The operative word being SELL.

Nigel

Great idea. Costs are HUGE with what you propose IF you can win.

Posted: Jul 15, 2006 11:06am
Richard Osterlind is one of the most powerful mentaists I've seen. In every performance he gets 1 or 2 good solid hearty laughs from the audience. (sometimes more) yet he does not say anything in his marketing about having comedy or being a comedy magican, WHY?!?!? For him he chooses to let his mentalism prevail, and it most certainly does.
Sometims I feel like these guys that put all this fluff into what their act supposedly contains, is just a cover up for doing decent magic with half way decent comedy.
Sorry for the rant but I figured some agreed.
VIVA LA COMEDY MAGIC!!!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
Quote:
On 2006-08-22 18:07, EvanMagic wrote:
I saw this one magician (not saying names) who did a trick that involved a young female college student being forced to blow up a condom for her class to prove, as the magician said, 'she could do it'. There was no point in it, and it ended up being a card trick that ended up in a chicken. The routine would never end and I feel really sorry for the young lady on stage and the respect he showed for her.

For me, not only was it NOT funny, its a matter of the disrespect he gave to the lady.

I have no respect for this magician anymore, and in general anyone who is sexist.

Evan

AWESOME Condom Balloon oh man that's great
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Here is my thing. I don't adverise as me being a "comedy" magician. I just say stuff like he is a very talented young man who will keep your audiences laughing and entertained. I am not saying I am a so called "comedy" magician but I do have a nack for making people laugh so I embrase that and people really seem to enjoy that.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
Again, sorry for writing a novel... I tend to do that here on the Café.
But I'd like to turn a slightly different direction here...

I advertise myself as, "Magician, Comedian, Illusionist." At the same time, I have no qualms about calling myself as "comedy magician." Why? Before I EVER got interested in magic, I ranked among the top 18 youth humorists in this state (Texas). I wrote entire guidebooks on improv comedy for my theater classes and lead the speech team's improv team for 2 years running. Sure, I liked magic then, but comedy of all kinds was my big thing.

Sure, I love drama -- big theatrics and beautifully written shows (David Copperfield's Barkley House is a prime example of one of my favorites), but I could never perform something so serious. I'm wired, inside and out, for comedy. Ever since I was teenie-tiny, I've wanted to make people laugh... so I went the extra mile early on to learn what makes stuff funny.

I don't mean to toot my own horn, I just want to give y'all a different perspective here...
Comedians traditionally don't like magicians because magicians seem to be on a lifelong trend of line-stealing and uninhibited unoriginality.

Tom Burgoon put it best, in similar words (as my memory is weak) "I learned from my days at the comedy club the ethics of proper use of material. When you see someone else doing YOUR show, it's not so funny anymore. That's why I write my own stuff."

As much as it may sting a lot of us to hear, including myself in certain situations, we need to take time... sit down... and script our OWN shows. If it doesn't turn out to be funny, so what? Magic doesn't have to be funny to be interesting and amazing. If it turns out to be funny, so what? You have some extra talent for writing. The tables can swing either way.

I will let myself be called a Comedy Magician because that's what I am. Unless I make a special effort, there are no serious portions to my shows. (Though, most of the videos you'll find of me here online are more "serious." I have very few clips newer than a couple of years old. Check my YouTube (youtube.com/magicofthestone) for my real self...

Anyway, the point I'm getting at is that all of us need to reconsider how we bill ourselves to the public. I don't think adding canned laughter (vanishing bandana, the bra trick, or that God-forsaken Insurance policy) qualifies you as a "comedy magician." Comedy relies on not only your ability as a performer, but it is determined by your personality, delivery, choice of material, timing, and most of all... YOU as an individual.
There are a lot of people who just can't be funny.
There's nothing wrong with that as long as they don't TRY to be funny.
Un-funny people should just stick to serious and amazing shows.

I believe if you want to be a comedy magician, you need to put as much or more time into your scripts (not sets of lines, not patter, not things you can just ad-lib, but SCRIPTS) than you need to practice and rehearse your magic.
"Comedy Magician" is two full words.
Not one big word that is modified by a little one.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
True story:
This guys walks into the local magic shop and says he wants to buy items and DVDs so he can be a "Comedy Magician". He said he tried to learn ventriloquism, but it was too hard. I asked him if he ever did any magic - NO. I asked if he ever did any comedy - NO. I asked him what made him think he could be a comedy magician - just woke up one morning and thought it sounded like a good idea.

The sad part is that this guy was serious. He thought it would be easy to be a comedy magician. He was looking for instant answers for something that takes time to learn.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
Thought I would add ot this very interesting thread.

Everyone keeps mentioning the Vanishing Bandana as "canned laughter." Yes, a lot of magicians use it because it is a guaranteed laugh getter, due to the banana/bandana paradox. However, even though I do this routine with the provided CD, nobody can do it like I do. Why? Because I use a lot of physical comedy, facial expressions, and the liek to sell the effect. I too have studied comedy from a variety of sources (Second City being the most famous organization I have learned from.)

So, am I being a hack by doing a fairly stock routine and augmenting it with physical comedy? And yes, I do call myself a comedy magician(when I do still perform magic.)
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
Brent,

I don't think that qualifies you as a "hack," because not only is it a routine that you've purchased and the routine itself is part of the cost (so not a hack) but you've made it your own by really adding your personality!

In Comedy Clubs, we don't call someone who drops a name for a laugh a Hack.
It's either funny or it's not. Dropping 'Michel Jackson' is still funny. Does that make someone a hack, even though it's overdone? No. It's up to them, and if it's not funny that time... their fault.

"Canned Laughter" should be viewed as a "Can of Opportunity," not a "Can of Success." You have to open it and make it what you will.

Using someone else's personal (not for sale) material (without permission) IS a qualification for a hack. Luckily, it's not such a problem anymore. It seems like everyone is becoming more ethical these days. Smile
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2146 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Another angle to look at this...

How many working COMEDIANS actually study comedy???

Not many I bet you.

If you have to study that hard then you aint got it.

Comedy isn't a formula and it can't be learned in a book. You can improve existing talent with books.

You either got it or you don't.

I'm sick of dead pan magicians trying to inject comedy (like trying to inject lard into a stone) and not getting laughs....its cringe worthy! Lots of street performers I've seen aswell, line after line, silence after silence.

M:C
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
Injecting lard into a stone? LOL, never heard that one before. There's gotta be a routine there somewhere.

"Do the bricks of your house suffer from a cholesterol deficiency?"
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Brent, no your not hack for doing a stock routine with your own personality. You have defined 80% of very successfull magic out there comedy or not.

Lets be hones, how many of us are doing our "own stuff" 100%? Not many I can think of and that includes Mac King, Amazing himself and Michael Finney. So "the routine" is not a biggie. When you put your own personality into it, well that is where you remove it from "hack". That is the process which elevates it!

The performance becomes about you and not the trick. It is something more. That is a good thing in my opinion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2146 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Quote:
On 2007-05-17 09:28, Brent Allan wrote:
Injecting lard into a stone? LOL, never heard that one before. There's gotta be a routine there somewhere.

"Do the bricks of your house suffer from a cholesterol deficiency?"

I made it up, I think its quite a cool smilie. I hope it hits your town soon.

And after a full day of experimenting, its officially very hard. And the routine I've worked on is even worse.

:)

M:C
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I don't see any difference between a magician who isn't funny calling himself a magic comedian and a comic who isn't funny calling himself a comedian. There are plenty of both around. As far as originality is concerned, any self respecting comedian has files upon files of other peoples jokes. Bob Hope kept them in a vault. Also, who says that we have to write our own material. Is there really a difference between a comedian hiring a writer and buying a comedy routine on the open market? Robert Orben made a pretty good living out of writing for individuals and putting out books of comedy routines for whomever would pay for them. Because you add a few lines or use your own style of body language, it doesn't make you original. Your still doing Capehart's moves with the rings even if you do change the music, the vanishing bandanna is still the same routine whether you mug it up or not, the silk to egg is still the same trick no matter how you do it, and I have never seen anyone do the Anderson Paper tear except by tearing the paper and flash producing it restored. It seems to me that there is a lot of 'I am holier than thou' going around.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2146 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
In my Anderson torn and restored I don't restore it.

I'm quite alternative like that.
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
How many of you have had a spectator come up to you and say "What are you a comedian too ?". I bet a lot of you guys, er and girls too have heard that a time or two. Sometimes the humor just works right for you and you go with it, other times you do your straight act and they laugh anyway. Go figure. All in all , I think I'm funny, but no one has ever called and booked me cause they thought I was funny. Can anyone relate to this ? My card says "Magic to Laugh At, Comedy to take Serious". I feel this gets them at least thinking...What the heck is this about, thus creating some interest, hopefully. Maybe my next card will say "the Gooderest Magic by a Funnyer-est Magic Dude". Just thinking out side a false bottom box ! Be all you can be. Trois
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Under the right situation, and in a large audience people seem to laugh at even the corniest lines. I think that laughter in infectious and in a crowd people will laugh along with each other at things that they otherwise would not find funny. Maybe it's because they are not as self conscious. (?)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy magicians who aren't funny! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL