The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting started with no money (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
scooter magic
View Profile
New user
Fredricksburg, VA
73 Posts

Profile of scooter magic
I'm just getting started in magic. I don't know of any good books and videos other than bobo's and where I can get them for a good price. Any suggestions

smiles,Ashley
Ashley Taggert
moving up in the world of magic
wildarr
View Profile
New user
Isle of Palms, SC
80 Posts

Profile of wildarr
Try your local library to start. I'd bet you can find Henry Hay's The Amateur Magician's Handbook and Bill Tarr's Now You See it, Now Your Don't there, and they are both exellent books to start with. Also, at the library, you can see if you like the book and then think about purchasing your own copy.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Read this site. Just read as much as you can. There is a ton of good advice and good recommendations. There is so much out there, and it's hard to make recommendations when we don't know what you enjoy learning/doing.

But this is the best place in the world to search through the posts and get great advice. You will find some common ground on what is universally accepted as excellent learning materials such as the Tarbell series, Stars of Magic and many many more. As well as dealers who have a good reputation for price and service. The more homework you do, the better spending choices you can make.

I would advise to use this resource and just read posts and use the search function to find additional info when something strikes your fancy.

Good luck and have fun!
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
The above post says it all! Smile

:hot coffee:
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Ooops I mean Smile
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
The first thing that I would recommend is to look into your heart. What is it that you love? What is the show that you wanted to see when you were a kid? Build that show. Your love of the material will come across to the audience. For basic magic, there's Tarbell and Mark Wilson; for mentalism, Anneman and Corinda.

For me, the biggest inspiration has been basic books on technique (Tarbell, Anneman, Corinda), books on theming and creating acts (Fitzkee Trilogy, Henning Nelms), books on history (The Glorious Deception, Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women) and books on what it all means (Eugene Burger, especially Magic and Meaning). Mine the Café for all that it's worth (it's free).

So many ways up the mountain. Your results may vary.

Yours,

Paul
scooter magic
View Profile
New user
Fredricksburg, VA
73 Posts

Profile of scooter magic
Thanks I'll keep my eyes open for posts and books.
Ashley
Ashley Taggert
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
You really don't need a big budget in magic. Yes it is easy to spend a lot in magic but it's not necessary. If you’re getting started in magic, you can go to your local library and check out some books.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Ashley,

I would suggest you check with your local bookstore and pickup Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic book.

It is a LARGE book, has a lot of different types of magic in it to give you a taste of the various material you can work with (cards, coins, silks, mentalism, stage, rope, etc...), and has been released in paperback for under $20 (US).

It is a fantastic place to start and is highly regarded as a wonderful reference book in many magic library's, including my own.

Enjoy your journey into the Art of Magic! Smile
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I second "Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic". It's about 1 1/4 inches! That doesn't sound like much but pull out a ruler.
Over 500 pages
About 28 sections
From cards to illusions (and everything in-between)
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Nicholas Einhorn has published some great, cost-effective resources for beginners, available on Amazon. They are: Close-Up Magic, The Art of Magic and Sleight of Hand, and The Practical Encyclopedia of Magic. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Chris
Sherman Malachi
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Sherman Malachi
Yes you can slowly get information with little or no money but that's not going to get you anywhere far. I second drwilson, to "look into your heart". Tommy (wonder) said this to before, "your magic is only limited by your imagination."

I think even as a tyro you should think as far as you can. And in the beginning it is best to let wholesome classics and other good magic literature devour you. You would surely have the temptation to want to know how things are done for the sake of knowing....Please...don't....But rather, learn for the sake of learning - I re-learn the stuff I do in my repetoire (for over 10 years) every now and then. You can always seek improvement as you strive for the perfect. This sense of seeking is what keeps one's awe of the art continuous. I must say that the satisfaction and experience of learning is truly divine.
Sherman Malachi
Improve your card magic at www.powerfulcardmagic.com/blog
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I second everything that has been said about getting books and visiting your local public library, but would add one suggestion.

You mentioned Bobo's book, "Modern Coin Magic." This is certainly the 'bible' for coin workers, but especially for beginners, it can be confusing and tough to absorb.

If you are interested in coin magic, I would also suggest getting a DVD, Michael Ammar's "Complete Introduction to Coin Magic" (click HERE to view). This will show and teach you the basic coin sleights in an organized way, which Bobo does not do; it also contains a few good tricks and routines to get you started. Especially for coin magic, it's very helpful to be able to see exactly what you're supposed to be doing and what the sleight should look like.

If for some reason you can't get the Ammar DVD, Volume 1 of David Roth's "Expert Coin Magic" DVD (click HERE to view) is equally good and should keep you busy for quite a while.

If you want to explore coin magic, this $30 purchase is well worth the money. Good Luck!! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
One of the worst things I have done as a beginner is to spend money. You just can't buy good magic. There is more good magic in vanishing and producing ordinary objects than there is in using the latest prepackaged trick you bought. I found that every time I bought something new, I neglected whatever it was that I was just working on. Purchases generally made me a worse magician rather than a better one.

Of course this does not go on indefinitely. Eventually you will need to buy some stuff, but you don't need much at the start. As several others mentioned above, Mark Wilson's book, a couple of decks of cards, some cotton rope and some rehearsal time, and you will suddenly have a solid half-hour set.

If you are at all like me, the more you buy, the harder it will be for you to put together a proper set.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Karl Fulves' 'Self-Working Magic' series, published by Dover Books, is only about $8 a volume. You can pick up a book (on coins, or cards, or whatever else is your main interest) and do some tricks right away. Learn to string them together and build your own 'magical' presentations. There are plenty of tips here on the Café on how to do that. Then you'll be ready for more difficult magic with sleights and fancy moves. Magic is about the presentation, not the tricks.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
I'd invest in a deck of cards and six half dollars. See if you can get The Amature Magicians' Handbook, from the library. If you must buy it, you'll find it's very inexpensive and worth every penny. Work with that for a few months then start using things you find anround the house. (Golf balls, paper napkins etc.)

After you're somewhat accomplished you can start thinking about making purchses with a better idea of what is suited for you.
scooter magic
View Profile
New user
Fredricksburg, VA
73 Posts

Profile of scooter magic
Thanks all. (I've been taking notes) From what I have read Every thing I need to know I already know because I can make it all up on my own. the books and videos and the multipul silks that my dad lets me use are only tools to help me find what I'm truly looking for, Magic.
Ashley Taggert
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Search the net! It is very depressing, but learning Magic nowadays is somehow FREE!

E-books, videos, secrets to illusions and a lot more can be obtained from Exposure websites and peer to peer (whatever that means), which were not available during my time.

But please try to find a magician mentor, who will teach you on the rules and ethics of Magic.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Learn as much as you can from whatever resources are available to you. I agree the library is a great place to start.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I, too, agree that the library is the place to start.
Cheap starting places are Wilson's book and The Magic Book by Lorayne.
If your library does not have these, you might ask about interlibrary loans.
But, these two books could keep you busy until you are proficient in whatever area you wish to persue.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting started with no money (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL