The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best trick to buy a non-magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
My little brother is an airline pilot, and is not a magician. But I would like to buy him a trick (or teach him one), that he could do on trips while killing time in the hotel bar or pilots' lounge. Any suggestions for a powerful trick that does not require a lot of skill, that would be easy for him to carry around (feel free to vote any card, coin or other trick here too)?
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
578 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Scotch and Soda, TT with Silk come to mind.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17040 Posts

Profile of joseph
Chinese handcuffs.... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
523 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Is he interested in magic? If so, I would suggest a deck of cards with Royal Road so he has something to kill the time for a while and learn a lot.

If he only has a passing interest I would agree with RandyM with the TT and silk.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
A mismade dollar with double sided tape holding the two bills together, it is a no brainer.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5732 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-07-16 12:51, Al Angello wrote:
A mismade dollar with double sided tape holding the two bills together, it is a no brainer.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello

I don't know how anyone gets away with not having to hand out a mismade bill, to be examined. It's obvious to me that the audience wants to know that it's not faked. I always have it examined. But, then again, I have a handling that allows my hands to be seen empty, yet I don't use a tip.

I think the ring and coil or the snapper are great for non-magicians. I often use them as fillers for events where there are people who hang around through multiple close-up performances.
Batty
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Batty
If it is for killing time, just show him a coin roll and tell him to practice. That kept me entertained for months.

I'm not sure if it would be ok, but CMH is a nice trick that in my opinion just needs practice and isn't that hard if you practice. And it's free if you teach him it.

If he can carry it around, the new modern coin magic is a great book for killing time. Those sleights take a while to learn.

A hot rod is an easy trick that is good and can be carried around anywhere. And even though a lot of people hate it, I love my reality twister. It gets some of my best reactions.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3384 Posts

Profile of Julie
Metal Nickels to Dimes. It's easy to do, not too expensive and is impressive and examinable...

Julie
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Pilot, hanging in bars? ARgh.... what airline so I can use another... Smile
A Svengali deck followed by a regular deck and a book of self working card tricks.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Thumb Tip Blendo or Silk to Panties
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The 2 card monte with the DF and the DB. end of story
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
214 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
I don't know the name of it, it is a dice with 6 different colors and a box with a lid in which the spectator puts the dice and the maigician knows which color is on top.
Your brother need not much time to learn it and there is no basic principle as TT or glide or doublesided things etc. which you explain!
lylaster
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
197 Posts

Profile of lylaster
Nickels to dimes
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
There's a guy who has Bob Sheets' "It's the Rules" DVD in the appropriate "For Sale" forum. I'd recommend that, and echo Frank's suggestion of the two-card monte with a DF and DB.

Curt
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
For those who mentioned the 2-card monte, can you be a little more explicit? I mean, I know what a DF and DB are, but whose routine is this, where can I find it?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
It's often used as a tradeshow giveaway.

you show both cards using a popular slight-of-hand maneuver.
you put them behind your back and bring out a card facedown.
the spectator picks which one it is.

they are either always right or always wrong.

you show them so by bringing out the card from behind your back face-up
as proof.

rinse, repeat.

when I gave these away at a tradeshow recently, I told the folks, "be responsible and practice. do this.... until you can fool yourself. then you're ready to show someone else". they all shook their heads in agreement, dropped their gift into their tradeshow bags, and walked off. . . Most likely the walked off to Kinkos to get their very own "Magician" business cards. Smile

I have decks and decks of these if you're interested in acquiring some.
I can provide instructions.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
214 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
I want to stress that it is not a good idea to explain DF-Cards, TT or paddle moves (also with dice) to a non-magician! These are basic principles which are used in many variations and explain very intelligent secrets.
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Quote:
On 2006-07-22 00:44, Merenkov wrote:
For those who mentioned the 2-card monte, can you be a little more explicit? I mean, I know what a DF and DB are, but whose routine is this, where can I find it?

It's in Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic.

Andy

Posted: Jul 23, 2006 4:23am
------------------------------------------
The Heck-Aw-ee Compass from Black Fox.

Simple, Visually stunning, comes with complete routine, entertaining.

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
782 Posts

Profile of DaveM
1. Viking's "Transmental", essentially a self-working miracle.

2. Johnson's Scotch & Soda

3. Cubio

4. Mental Photography Deck

5. Skinner's Utimate Monte

Dave

Posted: Jul 23, 2006 10:46am
------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2006-07-23 03:42, Angelo the Magician wrote:
I want to stress that it is not a good idea to explain DF-Cards, TT or paddle moves (also with dice) to a non-magician! These are basic principles which are used in many variations and explain very intelligent secrets.

I believe practically everyone started out as a "non-magician". Give him a decent quality trick, and he may decide to take it up as a hobby.

Dave
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
I say scotch and soda with a book about it. You can do tons of effects with it, so he doesn't always have to do the same trick.

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best trick to buy a non-magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL