The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best trick to buy a non-magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I too have to vote for Scotch & Soda. Giving them away has landed me many corporate gigs over the years. For a while I even had a salesman buying them from me so he could give them away.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I'd say Scotch & Soda, a hot rod or a couple of rubber band effects such as crazy man's handcuffs, traveling cash or make a ring climb "up" the rubber band. You could also teach him how to make a napkin rose or the "Starcle" effect by Dan Harlan from a bar napkin.

How about paper balls (napkins) over the head? Matchbook tricks, ashes to hand, etc...can all be done with things he could find in the lounge area or possibly on the plane itself.

By learning things such as these, or others mentioned previously, he would have a lot of things that are fun, easy, don't take up much (if any)space and are loads of fun. You could say..."the sky's the limit!" Just think about the locations he'll be in and what might be found there.

:thumbsup:
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Avoid things that pro's are using or anything that takes skill. Ken Brooke used to pitch tricks in markets in England and he wouldn't even sell Svengali decks as he didn't want a custumer to buy one, get home and couldn't do it straight away for his kids. The most common self working item he sold was a small coloring book, called a FLIK BOOK. Another was the Dutch Looper ( the self-working Monte card trick with the flap ).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Here's some tricks that I think a pilot could add a presentation to.
I'm thinking Bermuda Triangle and The Philadephia Experiment patter for these.

"The Crazy Compass".
"Steel Ball & Tube".
"Haunted Bolt".
"Sharpie or Pen Thru Anything".
Johnson's "Cigarette thru Quarter".
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
First, I'm with Mr. Biro when he says,
Quote:
On 2006-07-21 14:07, Pete Biro wrote: "Pilot, hanging in bars? ARgh.... what airline so I can use another...A Svengali deck followed by a regular deck and a book of self working card tricks."

but second.....and to answer your question....if he's hanging out in bars, sounds like he may be looking for some company. That being said, I'd go with rmoraleta's suggestion for the Silk to Panties. You can imagine why.... Smile
Quote:
On 2006-07-21 14:37, rmoraleta wrote:
Thumb Tip Blendo or Silk to Panties
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Another vote for Scotch and Soda. It hits hard, looks impromptu, and takes almost no skill or practice for most applications of it. If he's trying to pick up girls, it also gives him a reason to touch them if he does the trick in their hand. What's not to love about this trick?
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
cardsharpist
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of cardsharpist
Color changing knifes are too bad either. They require a little work but not much.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2006-07-21 17:46, Angelo the Magician wrote:
I don't know the name of it, it is a dice with 6 different colors and a box with a lid in which the spectator puts the dice and the maigician knows which color is on top.

Its called Color Vision - retails for around $3-5 in most magic dealers. Don't knock it as it gets great reactions! Check out some handling tips in Paul Gallagher's DVD Miracles from the Sock Drawer!
kvanliewpe
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of kvanliewpe
One of my favorites is the Hundy $500.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
How about a book........Mark Wilson's Encyclopedia of Magic? It can be found in most bookstores in paperback rather inexpensive. Let him read what interests him and decide what to show to others for himself. I do agree with many of the other suggestions and would have to say Scoth & Soda would go a long ways in the right hands.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
JOHNSHEIBAL
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of JOHNSHEIBAL
How about coin through leg using the french drop or professor's nightmare?
Full Deck
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Full Deck
My 2 cents would be a couple of Half Dollars and "The New Modern Coin Magic" by J.B. Bobo.

Best,

Full Deck
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2006-07-24 23:03, Bob Sanders wrote:
I too have to vote for Scotch & Soda. Giving them away has landed me many corporate gigs over the years. For a while I even had a salesman buying them from me so he could give them away.

Exactly why this trick should be retired...

Do as Pete suggested and get him a Svengalli and a matching normal deck and a copy of Karl Fulves Self Working Card Tricks.

TEACH him the first trick in the book. It's a killer and it will inspire him to read the book when he's stuck on the road.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2006-08-16 23:22, JOHNSHEIBAL wrote:
... or professor's nightmare?

Why ruin a perfectly good trick like the prof. nightmare by giving it to a non-magician.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
214 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
Quote:
On 2006-07-23 03:42, Angelo the Magician wrote:
I want to stress that it is not a good idea to explain DF-Cards, TT or paddle moves (also with dice) to a non-magician! These are basic principles which are used in many variations and explain very intelligent secrets.

Thank you, Frank!
karvis
View Profile
Regular user
spain
133 Posts

Profile of karvis
What about napking rose? not mareal magic, but it could be..
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17040 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2006-08-16 02:20, cardsharpist wrote:
Color changing knifes are too bad either. They require a little work but not much.

Or the Jumping Gems, which are pushed in novelty shops, etc, along with those Adams magic tricks......
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
MKmagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of MKmagic
Dime & Penny or Hot Rod.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I would ask yourself this:

"does a pro use this prop/trick?"

if the answer is yes, move on to something else out of respect
to those that perform for a living, think of another trick and ask again.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8632 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I think Full Deck here hit the nail on the head, and I agree that if you want something that will get you and keep you going for miles and miles, then get "Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic." It's about the best $8 bucks you'll ever spend when it comes to magic. Get yourself a few half dollars and some copper coins, and man you could earn a million frequent flyer miles, as you'll be flying high and long, in many cases for ever and ever. Smile For the money, I don't think you can beat it.

If you just want to get in & out...then as a gimmicked effect I like the popular "Scotch & Soda." It's easy to learn and do, has lot of variations to it, is a very interactive trick and packs ever so small. Smile But even that cost's more than Bobo's. Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best trick to buy a non-magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL