The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "Lost In Thought" - Gregory Arce (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Also look here for some of Greg's pet routines in that book:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=82&7

---------

This book is awesome! Greg just sent me yesterday the last to final edition to preview.

Actually I had read the first draft but I just re-read all of the book with joy because the routines and the ideas inside it are solid gold .

There are 23 different effects plus ideas on pre-show, some help to get real by acting better (seems a paradox, I know, but the lucky readers of this upcoming book will know what I mean), some bizarre ideas AND two rants (!) It would not take you out of surprise if I tell you that every pro would probably agree with THOSE rants!

While I know Gregory, we never happened to speak about cuisine so I don’t even know if he is a fine gourmet or is more an easy going eater, I don’t know if he likes to cook or not… but certainly the closest comparison I can find is the one of a Maitre Chef knowing fine and exclusive recipes for fine palates…

All of the routines in this book are perfect recipes; each recipe contains the most tasty ingredients and in the right dosage. One pinch of curry more, or less, one minute too much cooking and those chefs-d’oeuvre could be ruined… but Greg, the Maitre Chef, would not and could not make those mistakes. All of his recipes are first-prize winners, some of his plates are tasty but light, while some of his other recipes are strong and spicy.

All tastes will find something to savour in his book, maybe with some bottle of classy French red wine, accompanying this lucullian meal.

Now, before I get hungry, I must confess that the routines Gregory has picked up to describe in HIS post (on Inner Thoughts forum) are also some of my favourites.

The Pinhead Roulette, as example, is using a concept very seldom used in Mentalism, and I should know that since I’ve played with that myself AND since I know Greg had similar ideas years back (!)

Even the ____ Book Test is somewhat a dream came true for him. I remember Greg sending me his previous ideas on this, way back in the past… At last, perfectionist as he is, he decided to release that gem! Bravo Gregory!

But trying to not repeat all the effects that Gregory posted, there are other routines too which I especially love –

WINE-OH! – Another brilliant dangerous monte / Russian roulette with one glass of wine … Another concept exploiting the “pinhead” concept… in a different way. I cannot say more! … Oh yes, the glass of wine is a common, real glass and performer can toast to his audience!

ADD-SENSE – You saw David Berglas doing it, you read about a recent booklet by Docc Hilford… You can trace this back to Ted Annemann Jinx… and probably even before Annemann…

Yet Greg has another brand different take on the newspaper clairvoyance / remote viewing… It’s really the ULTIMATE tear the newspaper in little squares, FREELY pick one of the pieces … and I will tell you what you are reading on THAT piece… Brainsmackingly and Motherfuckingly good stuff!

STICKY DUPE – Business cards, pay envelope and another DIRECT-HIT design duplication! This one will go in your repertoire alongside with other different ones you already got!

POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE – Ok, this one! When I was reading this one first time, I said to myself… “That’s impossible! It seems so clean! I must wait and see what kind of Modus Operandi Gregory has used!” …

It turns out that – and MARK MY WORDS – the only time I saw another performer taking a principle like OOTW and using it for a sort of DEAD & ALIVE test, was when I saw Derren Brown specials.

Gregory has taken another known principle (or at least it should be known better) and applied to an effect, which not only disguises the Modus Operandi… but also takes the whole thing to another dimension! ... And for good!

You show a large stack of postcards and two envelopes. You explain that sometimes you would have many letters to send out and a lot that were coming in and you would just pile them up and lose track of which one went where. With the assistance of a spectator, you try to demonstrate your weird personal assistant’s powers. You give the two envelopes to the spectator and tell him to freely deal through the stack of postcards and stop anywhere he wants. He does this and you have him drop an envelope on that spot to mark it. Same thing for the other envelope… freely distribution, freely placement!

Both areas of the stack are spread out and the envelopes and the postcards next to them are taken out. When you turn over the postcards, they have addresses to friends and family, but both are different from each other. When you turn the envelopes over you find that both envelopes are addressed to the correct place (!) and people (!) that are on the back of both postcards.

What’s even stronger is that all the other postcards have nothing written on the other side (yes, they are blank!) and the spectator not only picked the correct ones, but the ones that matched their envelopes. And as if this is was not enough… (But it is, right?) … Inside the envelopes there is some sort of description about the spectator who just helped you out… it could be traits of his character, his dress style, etc.

Although Gregory did not mention that… I already thought out that you could even play some sort of GEOMETRIC COIN because the two envelopes lend themselves perfectly to that… one sort of wrong prediction in one envelope… leading to the other envelope in which you are RIGHT! (Eh! Eh! Greg, I know you got this!)

Oh... another effect! FEAR OF NUMBER TWO - A great, great effect that really will keep your audience breathless. Gregory is too modest when it comes to crediting people! His ideas are as brilliant as many ideas from other pros... if not more brilliant! Gregory has always been in my opinion a CREATING MACHINE!...

But I cheated on this last effect! Yes, because if you are not among the first buyers of the LOST IN THOUGHT book, you will never get this one!...

Too much stuff to review, believe me… I’m not saying that just because Gregory is a friend… but this book should really be on your MUST BUY list!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "Lost In Thought" - Gregory Arce (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL