The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What about Crop Circles? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Bonnie Kids
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden (Västerås)
267 Posts

Profile of The Bonnie Kids
Does the fact that Crop Circles can be done by humans means it cannot be done by other means?
And if we extrapolate this: does teh fact that I can (by trick) pass one sponge ball from one hand into another hand MEAN that I cannot do it by real "magic"?
All of this started from my son, when we watched another magician. He asked me (7 years old) if it was a "real" or "fake" magician...

Andrea
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-07-16 18:56, The Bonnie Kids wrote:
Does the fact that Crop Circles can be done by humans means it cannot be done by other means?

No but Occams Razor dictates that they are.

If you truly possesed magical powers would you waste them doing card tricks?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Of cource not!
The fact that something can be duplicated has no bearing on the fact that something is an original or duplicate.
If you remember the O.J. Simpson case, one of the investigating officer's planted some of O.J. Simpson's blood (that was taken in a clinical setting) and planted it at the crime scene. This idiotic move by a servant of the community (who was anxious to prove O.J.'s guilt) was evidence to many that O.J. was innocent of any wrongdoing.
Just because someone can print a perfect counterfeit bill that can pass detection, it does not proove that all bills are counerfeit.
I don't really have much of an opinion on the origin of crop circles but just because some fun loving folk can make some intricate and beautiful crop circles doesn't mean that "Alien's" haven't had a hand at it.
As far as Sponge Balls are concerned? I have seen many Magician's do a retention vanish and to me that is real Magical. When I know how something is done and I can't duplicate it as well as the original, to me that is pure Magic.
-Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2006-07-16 20:05, irossall wrote:
If you remember the O.J. Simpson case, one of the investigating officer's planted some of O.J. Simpson's blood (that was taken in a clinical setting) and planted it at the crime scene.

Um, no. That was a theory proposed by the defence, but it was never proved.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
That's the patented Johnnie Corcoran 'Chewbacca Defense'. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
>>If you remember the O.J. Simpson case, one of the investigating officer's planted some of O.J. Simpson's blood (that was taken in a clinical setting) and planted it at the crime scene. This idiotic move by a servant of the community (who was anxious to prove O.J.'s guilt) was evidence to many that O.J. was innocent of any wrongdoing. <<

That has never been proven nor even produced in a manner that could be taken seriously. There was some blood on the gate that showed traces of a component used to preserve blood which also exist in the cleaning agents used by the maid to clean the gate. No one has stated how, why, when, etc but only made statements that 'blood was planted' to justify in the minds of the ignorant that Simpson wasn't proved guilty. If you know of a legit site that proves such a claim that doesn't provide links for yeti hunters, ufo crop circle fans, and ghost supporters as well let me know, I'd like to see it.
Steve V
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Also, don't forget Cochrane's other prong...the L.A. crime lab techs were inept, and it wasn't even OJ's blood. Put it all together, and what do you get?

In a racist attempt to frame OJ, police officers planted someone else's blood at the scene.

Things that make you go...HUH?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Back to the original question. If something can be done two ways, people tend to believe the simpler way that fits in their reality better. That's why in magic you have to rule the other methods out for the spectator. Why religious figures appear in french toast? Now that's a mystery.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Religious figures on French Toast is a fraud, religious figures on grilled cheese is legit.
Steve V
SantaClaus
View Profile
New user
North Pole
28 Posts

Profile of SantaClaus
Now that I've seen a thread about crop circles evolve into a debate over the OJ Simpson trial in only a few short posts, I can safely say that any conversation, regardless of the topic, will -- if allowed to continue long enough -- ultimately evolve into an OJ Simpson debate. (It's a sub-theory of the "infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters" theory.)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Just because we KNOW that people make crop circles does not preclude aliens making crop circles too.

Though the simple logistics and cost/benefit analysis of taking a LONG trip to put graffiti on someone's cornfield does kind of weigh heavily in favor of humans as responsible for any given crop circle. As pointed out earlier, Occam's razor serves well in these situations.

After all, it could have been Santa, angels, demons, cartoon characters, time travelers, OJ, plant elementals, dyads, a quantum mechanical event... why stop with aliens as the story?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
You might ask Ian Rowland his opinion.

And it's not true that all Café threads devolve to OJ discussions. They all devolve to "Do true psychics and psychic powers exist and should you issue a disclaimer." I think I actually made the mistake of participating in a couple of those, back in the day.

Jack Shalom
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Now if they were 'forest circles' where an entire wilderness area of trees was sculpted into a design overnight I might wonder about those "plant elementals".
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
They make for an interesting movie...

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
SantaClaus
View Profile
New user
North Pole
28 Posts

Profile of SantaClaus
Quote:
And it's not true that all Café threads devolve to OJ discussions.
They would if they went on long enough. We just keep giving up before we reach that point. We need more stamina! And I wasn't speaking about the Café ... I was speaking about all discussions on internet, in real life, etc. Sooner or later, everything comes down to OJ Simpson. OJ's guilt or innocence is the central question of human existence.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Guilty or not, OJ is just to acidic for me.
Besides my mother told me long ago that the good stuff in OJ goes about a half hour after it's been squeezed.

Still fun to eat frozen though.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Crap Circles...depends on the configuration of the bowl and the force of water
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Depending on the consistency of the crap, as well.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Which is pretty thick around here...LOL...or is it deep?
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

How did we get from wheatfield art to potty mouth?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What about Crop Circles? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL