The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Army of 52 Gaff - Training - DVD (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I don;t want to get to deep in this... but with the speed that ellusionist outputs material..... I think it could not hurt if they slow it down a bit for such things...
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ah what happened here? So do we like or not like the DVD? I like the gaffs, just thought the DVd would be more on the Red Deck.
Hogle
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
133 Posts

Profile of Hogle
I don't like this kind of Teenager - Card Magic.
The most of the routines on this DVD are just boring!

Greetings
Kronos9326
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
229 Posts

Profile of Kronos9326
Quote:
On 2006-10-12 12:49, paisa23 wrote:
Ah what happened here? So do we like or not like the DVD? I like the gaffs, just thought the DVd would be more on the Red Deck.

Spacemonkey doesn't like it, among other things.

Everyone else seems to be enjoying it.

David.
SleepingJag
View Profile
New user
NC
35 Posts

Profile of SleepingJag
Quote:
On 2006-10-12 10:45, spacemonkey wrote:
I'm sorry if I'm pasionate about this subject; that's because I care about magic and don't want a large organisation like ellusionist to start influincing bad practice when it comes to crediting.

So, I'm listening. You guys*, please give me some sensible reasons why ellusionist shouldn't bother giving correct and detailed credits on their DVDs? I'm serious. I really want to hear your thoughts. Are there any legitimate reasons why they just shouldn't bother putting the homework in?

Bye.

* I'm referencing SleepingJag, Siclone and Kronos9326 in particular, but I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts too.

SpaceMonkey - I never said that you was wrong with the crediting point... if I gave that impression then I am sorry. Yes crediting is a very important thing to the inventors to magicial effects. What I did say is that David has no reason to continue to discuss this issue with you since regradless of what he says you are just going to continue to fight with him, or Sean or Chris or even me.

Quote:
On 2006-10-12 10:45, spacemonkey wrote:
So, I'm listening. You guys*, please give me some sensible reasons why ellusionist shouldn't bother giving correct and detailed credits on their DVDs? I'm serious. I really want to hear your thoughts. Are there any legitimate reasons why they just shouldn't bother putting the homework in?

Bye.

* I'm referencing SleepingJag, Siclone and Kronos9326 in particular, but I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts too.

Never once did I say or have I ever said that Ellusionist or any company for that matter shouldn't give correct credit on their DVD's... once again if you got that impression from my brief statement then I am sorry that you took it that way. Ellusionist does have their faults and they try very hard to ensure that they credit the correct people. But in this case I believe that they have acted in good faith with the creators and the customers. Unless Doug comes here and says otherwise I believe that you are the only one that is insulted here.

And so far you have only mentioned that one effect wasn't credited to Doug... Chris has said that he would look into it and David Mitchell has given you a history of that one effect. But still that wasn't good enough for you so you continue the discussion in a negative tone. Negative tones just turn people off to the discussion and doesn't advance anyones magic.

Quote:
On 2006-10-12 12:49, paisa23 wrote:

The DVD is well laid out and the instructions are easy to follow. Justin performs live first and then they hit the studio where each effect is taught. Justin understands how to teach the effect so everyone can learn and he does a very good job teaching each effect.

Cons - Shapeshifter isn't taught on this DVD (it is taught on another DVD by Ellusionist) and it is showed a lot on the performances and during the teaching parts.

Audience Management 101 – is briefly hit on but not really taught on this video. Justin basically says that you need to learn it but that is all that is discussed. While I feel that this could have been discussed a little more and maybe with some voice over during the some of the performances explaining to newer magicians how Justin was controlling the spectators that didn't happen.

Additional Concepts – additional concepts are hit on briefly by Justin and ideas are shared all you have to do is practice and learn the sleights needed. The Tiger Gaff/Other Gaffs are hit on by Justin but not covered in-depth.

Brad Christian Concepts Section [20 minutes] – Ok this is Brad giving a 20-minute preview of the new Red Deck gaff decks that is being sold at Ellusionist. Brad shows the different artwork that is on the Red Deck gaffs and just hits on the different ideas that could be done with the new gaffs. Most of the artwork is killer and will be an addition to any magician’s collection.

The Gaff decks are good and this DVD will give you some ideas on how to use them.
Bethea Baker
The Price of Freedom isn't free
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2006 4:26pm Kronos9326 wrote:
Do a search on 'customer service ellusionist' and I'm pretty sure that 99% of what you find will be positive, good experiences. There are people on Penguins OWN forums that are complaining about the poor quality of customer service they're getting lately. Item's not being in stock, e-mails not being answered, packages not being shipped , etc.

David, I just e-mailed penguin and within 2 minutes got a reply back in answer to a question. I've never had a problem with their service.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
cschuh
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC, Canada
12 Posts

Profile of cschuh
Spacemonkey,

I have spoken with both Doug and Mike Powers about this. They are both fine with how things currently are. That takes care of any professional or personal issues with what we have currently released.

We do run everything through a history check. However, our history checks are performed by people (well known in the industry and in-house magicians) and we don’t know everything that was published by everyone. That’s impossible.

Crediting issues will continue to happen. Is this because we don’t care or don’t put in the effort? Of course not. It’s because there are millions of publications out there. Factor in magazines, books, videos, booklets, lecture tours, and self-published items. There are a huge, huge number of published effects out there.

This is not an excuse, nor is it a reason. The purpose of proper crediting is not only to ensure people are not ripped off, but to also include the origins of certain magical pieces.

Now, Doug’s routine being superior is your own personal opinion. You are entitled to that and you can voice it all you want. There may be others who disagree with you on that, and they are entitled to their opinion just as much as you are entitled to yours.

It isn’t that we “just don’t bother to put in proper details.” C’mon, try to be reasonable for a few minutes here. If any company knows the hazards of republishing items, wouldn’t it be Ellusionist? I remember the Street Magic issues that everyone justifiably had.

We made a mistake with the crediting on this one. It wasn’t that we didn’t care, it wasn’t that we didn’t do research, and it wasn’t that we were trying to rip anyone off. We made a mistake. There’s no huge conspiracy here. It was a simple mistake. We found out about it, contacted those involved directly, and now we have made peace with it.

Notice how you don’t see Doug or Mike in here voicing how upset they are? That’s because they are not upset. They are fine with how things are.

If you have anything published personally, please let me know so I can go out and buy it immediately. Yes, I’m being serious. If you are this upset over someone else’s effects and the principles, then I definitely know I wouldn’t want to risk running into a mistake like this with you.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Chris Schuh
Team Ellusionist
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
On just about any video folks that do a matrix credit a certain pick up move as the "Dingle Schneider" pickup move. Al Schneider showed it to Derek Dingle, but it Dingle had nothing to do with it. Crediting issues have and always will happen.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Siclone
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Siclone
I think ever since Ellusionist made the mistake in their first video people have a reason to pick at them. Even though Ellusionist now goes through a thorough history check of all it's videos, people find it's still not good enough.
Kronos9326
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
229 Posts

Profile of Kronos9326
Quote:
On 2006-10-13 15:26, MagicChris wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2006 4:26pm Kronos9326 wrote:
Do a search on 'customer service ellusionist' and I'm pretty sure that 99% of what you find will be positive, good experiences. There are people on Penguins OWN forums that are complaining about the poor quality of customer service they're getting lately. Item's not being in stock, e-mails not being answered, packages not being shipped , etc.

As note, I wrote that almost a month ago. Not a few days ago. Not sure how that happened, but regardless.

I'm pleased that you've had results that were satifying, but it doesn't negate the fact that other people haven't.

David.

David, I just e-mailed penguin and within 2 minutes got a reply back in answer to a question. I've never had a problem with their service.

Chris
Kronos9326
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
229 Posts

Profile of Kronos9326
Ack... something weird going on.

Read between the lines... literally, for my reply.

David.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Army of 52 Gaff - Training - DVD (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL