We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Grand Children stuck in Lebanon...news hits home (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I'm wondering who can play you in the movie Doug. The guy who played the father in Bonanza would be good but he is gone now. We can call the movie "Zibits" w/out explanation.
Steve V
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The perfect person to play me in any stupid movie (besides me) is/was...Red Foxx

You can play the Sanford and Sons theme...it's my daily sound track in my head as I toil away.

2nd best would be Topol. Yaba dibee dibbe dum...all day long I make the little pygmy...ya ba dibee dibbe dibbe dibeee dum...
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I'll call aunt Esther and send her on over for company!
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Lawanda Page...one of us! A fire eater and Circus hooch dancer. RIP.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Doug,

It must have been the Higley magic that helped your grandkids. I'm glad to hear they are safe and sound.

Chrystal
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Doug,

Just found this thread, great to hear the good news and know that there are colorful stories on the way!

Yours,

Paul
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Excellent news for Doug! Now, for the rest of you crazy kids...heed those State Department travel warnings, and consider alternatives to travel to Lebanon, such as London, Rome, or Seattle.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Seattle?
Steve V
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
They are over the Atlantic as we type from Rome. Get into Florida at about 10pm Eastern tonight. Go girls.

Yeah SteveV...Seatlle...hahaha..scary hairy hippie women there...wait a minute! That might be fun...nah....
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Happy to hear the news Doug. I'm glad all is well.

Lobowolf. London, Rome and Seattle are all beautiful travel destinations. But it's just so hard to beat Lebanon in the Summertime.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks Brother Vandy

and that's why we vaction in San Diego...can't beat it any time of year!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Good to hear Doug. That kind of stuff really flips your priorities around. e.g. What's your favorite pass? or Will your loved ones make it home?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
cardone
View Profile
Special user
856 Posts

Profile of cardone
The best news I got today !!!!!!!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Pass? You mean Theme Park Pass?

Thanks again all.
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
You should have sent them with a Fiji Mermaid in hand in the first place. With that they could have cleared any road ahead of them.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20527 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Doug,

It's been a week. You should be safely back into the "Grandpaw Business" by now.

Congratulations!

Bob and Lucy Sanders
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks Bob and others. I am a 'long distance' Grandpaw'. Saves on nerves and cheaper too! (I have 7) That would be a lot of Disneyland tickets.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Here's the story (edited for space) as written by Martin E. Comas, Orlando Sentinal

"From the window of her uncle's home, 16-year-old Rebecca Higley watched in horror as Israeli warplanes pounded Hezbollah-controlled areas of southern Beirut, toppling buildings and sending dark clouds of smoke into the air.

"It is hellish," Rebecca said Saturday, two days after arriving at her Longwood home. "Much of Beirut has been leveled. We heard planes going over constantly, and you pray to God that a bomb won't fall near where you are."

Rebecca, who escaped Lebanon aboard a Greek freighter with her 8-year-old sister, Mindy, told how each time a bomb fell, "the whole house would shake. Everyone shudders, and you run outside and you wonder where that happened."

The sisters arrived in Ghazir, a small city just outside the capital of Beirut, on June 28. Everything was set for the Lebanese (Christians) to have a joyful family reunion. The country was peaceful and prosperous, teeming with tourists, and the girls' mother, Randa Higley, planned to join them a couple of weeks later.

Then on July 12, Israel launched its attack on southern Lebanon, and their world changed.

"I felt like we were trapped," Rebecca said. "We heard that the [Beirut] airport was destroyed. So I didn't know where to go or what to do."

For almost three days, Rebecca tried to reach her parents by phone. She appealed to the American Embassy for help but was told that because neither she, nor her sister, was ill or disabled they could not be placed on a priority-evacuation list.

With the airport runways damaged by Israeli bombs and the ports sealed, the only ways out of Lebanon were by land to neighboring Syria or by sea to the Mediterranean island of Cyprus.

"But going through Syria you run the risk of dying because of being [American] Christian," Rebecca said.

Then on Tuesday she heard on her small portable radio that an American ship was due to dock in Beirut and realized this could be her family's ticket to safety.

"I was jumping up and down," Rebecca said.

As the sisters... raced toward the port, they saw anti-American demonstrations in Hezbollah areas.

"The entire time, I was telling my sister: Don't say anything; do not say a word," Rebecca said, explaining she didn't want the angry mob to hear their accents.

But when they reached the port, there was no sign of an American ship, and Rebecca realized the radio report was wrong.

However, there was a Greek ship and the crew was willing to take the hundreds of Lebanese-Christians waiting on the dock to Cyprus.

Carrying their three small bags, the sisters...boarded the ship, where the mostly Greek-Lebanese crew gave them sandwiches and let the sisters explore the ship. Seven hours later, they docked at Cyprus and were able to find a hotel room in Larnaca.

The next day, the sisters...flew to Rome, and then to Atlanta, arriving in Orlando on Thursday night, where their anxious and relieved parents were waiting.

"It was frightening . . ."I'm glad that we are finally home," said Mindy, who starts third grade...in August. .

"For three days, we didn't know what had happened," Randa Higley said. "When your two children are trapped in a country that is being bombed, I just can't explain it, the fear that we had."

Rebecca, who begins her junior year...(in) High School next month, said she would love to eventually return to Lebanon, when the fighting stops.

"It's really sad," she said. "After years of civil war, they were making such great progress. It's a beautiful country."

Doug says...so there's some filler///alot missing of course which I heard over the phone as to the intense negotiations to get on that ship. That was NOT taking Americans.

Doug
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Them gals are unbelievable!
What a freakin' adventure!

I'm glad everything worked out OK.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
There are some wrong things in the article too...it wasn't a Greek Lebanese crew...it was a Greek Navy Warship, The Psara (see my blog for a photo)...I think Rebecca was concerned thje greek Officers would get in trouble if they had orders not to pick up Americans so she told the paper that story to cover for them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Grand Children stuck in Lebanon...news hits home (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL