The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Next step » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of Lior
Hello friend
Can you predict the next move in magic
(Many magician are going into mentalisem,
are they going to stay?)
Can you tell us about the new wave of mentalisem?
Where are we going next?

Lior
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Well Lior, if I could predict that I would really be a psychic Smile

Anyway, it seems that magic branches out in different areas. Often, magicians hate mentalists and mentalists hate magicians in the past. A lack of understanding. Lately it seems the two have been blending. Mostly do due to the efforts of people like David Blaine and so on.

I see one of two things happening. Either more branching out. Those who want to be seen as real against those who want to be seen as using natural means (NLP, psychology and so on) and of course those who do magic.

Or maybe a coming together of both.

I think the real differences really are not the claims, but more style when it comes to the differences between magic and mentalism.

I think that is why so many accept Blaine on both sides. Now if he were just pulling a rabbit out of a hat and acting like "some cheesy magician in a tux" as Penn puts it, certainly mentalists would not have accepted him at all no matter what his success. Unless it was a caricature of course.

Don't get me wrong, there is a place of the "cheesy magician in a Tux" If he is in his element and entertaining he is doing his job.

I have many friends that are great in their element. Street performers that you would not want to see in a city block of a trade show floor, but then again I would not want to see a trade show performance at a street festival either. (Not to say there are those who cannot do both, but they adapt if they do it well)

Hope that answered the question as best as possible.
Smile
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Actually Lior, you may be able to tell me the next step we are going to take, I would like to hear your thoughts as one of the top mentalists.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Next step » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL