The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Last minute advice for me? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Alright, this Saturday will be my first TRUE strolling gig. I mean, I have strolled a bit at Halloween events (mostly kids magic) and a little at Festivals (again, mostly focusing on kids). But this Saturday is specifically for the adults at a party. There will be about 100 of them. I was hired to do some sidewalk busking last weekend at a town festival, and I practiced a lot of my material that I plan on using this coming weekend. Here is a list of my planned effects...

- Nana's Necklace
- Invisible Deck (Malone's routine)
- Sponge Balls (or bunnies)
- Chop Cup w/lemon and lime final loads (based on Don Alan's routine)
- Money Paddle
- All Screwed Up (Doc Eason routine)
- Lucky Coin (Card College)
- Fiber Optics Rope Routine (Sanders)
- CMH

Those are the main things I am focusing on. Do you think that will be enough material? I am thinking 2-3 tricks per group, maybe more if they are very responsive - sound about right?
I will have a friend helping me cover the crowd, he is a card guy and will be doing only card stuff. My role is primarily all non-card stuff (with the exception of ID and Lucky Coin).

I have a few years of being a paid performer, but this genre is going to be somewhat new to me. So I am sure I will get some jitters. Any last minute advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Some of the effects you mentioned (ie. Don Alan's Chop Cup) require you to be sitting at a table. That may be a luxery you don't have in a strolling gig. As much as possible, the effects should be capable of being performed standing and in the hands (either yours or the spectators).

Also be aware that in a strolling situation, you will not have much control over your angles. Make sure the effects you perform are not angle sensitive.

Have Fun.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2006-07-19 14:10, magicman845 wrote:
Some of the effects you mentioned (ie. Don Alan's Chop Cup) require you to be sitting at a table. That may be a luxery you don't have in a strolling gig.

True, that's why I said “based on Don Alan's routine”. I used Alan's routine as a starting point, and altered what I needed to make it practical for strolling. Really the final loads were the only big thing that I needed to change. I was unsure about this routine, until I practiced it this weekend on the street for real folks. I was thrilled to see just how well it played and how easily I could load from my pocket. So, that is one routine I am very confident in!

You said “some” of the effect - which other effects require me to be seated?

- Edwin Louis Cole
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Just for referece Don Alan's routine far from requires you to be seated.

What do you mean by "which ones require me to be seated?". Havn't you worked them enough that you already have that information?

Seems to me and only me mind you, you have way too many things to try to carry for walk arround magic.

Invisible deck, fiber optics, all screwed up, chop cup, sponges, constantly in and out of your pockets. Tough management.

Who cares if he is doing card stuff, dosn't mean you can't.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
It sounds like you already know what your doing. Actually...I know you, so yes, I can say you'll be fine. It sounds like you have a lot of material there. In respect that this is going to be walkaround, I pose a few questions...

What's the setting going to be? Will everyone be standing around with drinks? Will everyone be sitting at tables? A combination of both? You'll need tables for the chop cup routine at least. Also, can you work out of your pockets for the above list or do you plan on carrying a case around? A close up mat may be one thing but walking the case around to table to table, especially if half the folks are standing will be awkward for you and the spectator if you have to open up shop for each group. It could also be time consuming so you'd need to factor that time in with your routines X the # of people and how much time the host has alotted. Will the kids be off doing something else? They know your a magician as you've already performed for them. Will having them hang around when you break into the adult material be a problem? Same for your card guy assistant in regards to handling the kids.

I hope this helps...and if you have MORE questions, or if you think I'm an idiot...well, CALL ME:)

You'll getem Dan, no worries.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2006-07-19 14:34, Dannydoyle wrote:
What do you mean by "which ones require me to be seated?". Havn't you worked them enough that you already have that information?

Of course I have. That's why I was asking the previous poster, which one's HE was referring to, when he said some of my effects required me to be seated. I know that NONE of my effects (at least the way I perform them) REQUIRE me to be seated. Some do require a table, that is true. But I don't need to sit.

Quote:
Seems to me and only me mind you, you have way too many things to try to carry for walk arround magic.

That may very well be true. In the past, I have experienced pocket overload, and tried to shove EVERYTHING I owned inside my pockets! I will consider dropping a routine or two. Thanks.

Quote:
Who cares if he is doing card stuff, dosn't mean you can't.

Well, I set this up intentionally, for two main reasons-
1) I found out last minute that the gig will have about 100 adults, as opposed to 50 or so, like I was originally told. So to help cover the crowd, I enlisted the help of my friend from my SAM Assembly.
2) He is a better card guy than me, so I feel good about him handling the card work, and leaving me more time for other effects that I enjoy performing more.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Do only what you know well and you will not have any reason to have "jitters" -- Keep it SIMPLE... MAKE IT FUN.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I like two sayings:Less is more and K.I.S.S.

The way I approach gigs like this is:Two set's of three effect's + two strong encore effect's if needed.(stuff that you can mix and match is a bonus).

IMO,carrying fruit around at a gig like this is unecessary,and can make you look like you have strange growth's bulging out.Keep it Svelt! Smile

At these thing's repartee' with the guests is as impotrtant as the magic.

I bet you do just fine.

Best.
Rich
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:
On 2006-07-19 14:48, Pete Biro wrote:
Do only what you know well and you will not have any reason to have "jitters" -- Keep it SIMPLE... MAKE IT FUN.

Hi Pete, I'm not disagreeing on "Do only what you know well" but If this is his first officially strolling for adults getting the Jitters is probably still going to happen...even with material known well. I do tables on a regular basis and I did my first paid strolling gig (see: The Host Saves the Day?!) a few weeks ago, and I thought I was going to lose it I had the "jitters" so bad. I think you first time paid performing a genre of magic is going to make anyone nervous and unsure until they settle into their element.

This is just to say, you probably will end up with the "Jitters" and IF you do...don't sweat it...it's normal (or normal based on my experience anyway) and you'll get through it and be better for it afterwards.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
ac-magic
View Profile
Regular user
South East UK
149 Posts

Profile of ac-magic
The jitters go within about 5 minuntes.

You get so caught up in entertaining and performing that you forget to be nervous - you only think you'll be nervous before the gig because you have time to think about how nervous you'll be.

Enjoy yourself and others will too!

Cheers,
Ali
A Smile, mind reading, funny escape artist wanna-be
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
If you do not know the setup of the event be wary that even the use of a table maybe hard to come by so be prepared. Also some gigs are so loud that talking may even be an issue.

Also you might benefit by something this is quick and extremely visual as an ice-breaker.

Kevin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Pocket management is a huge problem for most guys. It is why I do so many regular deck things.

To carry fruit arround will make your pockets bulge. Add to that sponges and you can really look silly.

Pocket management really is important. What goes where,what you do first and so forth.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
What town in Ct will you be strolling Danny?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2006-07-19 16:46, Dannydoyle wrote:
"...Pocket management really is important. What goes where,what you do first and so forth...."

Which is all a part of "scripting," something that I believe is critical.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Larry so do I.

Which brings me to my problem with figuring it out just days before the gig.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Good luck with your gig! I'm sure you'll do well. You have more than enough in your list - my advice is also to take less. You will really find you won't use all you've listed so free up your pocket space. Your performance and confidence will be impaired if you can't get to things easily and smoothly (or take a small case or tiny box with some extra items as a 'fall back plan' if you can arrange for it to be placed safely somewhere. If you find any 'repeat' people asking for more you could always say 'sure - see you in a minute I just have to take a break to call my wife/see the organiser' etc. The get some extra things!)
mrsmiles
(UK)
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
It sounds like you have a good variety of effects and you have gotten lots of good advice so now you just got to do it!
I would suggest having maybe a few more of your favorite effects on hand also, possibly left in your car or something as back up just in case.
But don't stress about it and by the way, where's your card tricks??? I only see Invisible Deck. Just kidding!

don't forget to check back in afterwards and give us the scoop on how awesome it was (or is going to be)!

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Danny,
You'll do fine! Most important, pay attention to the people that have said HAVE FUN. They're right. on the subject of scripting, I agree and disagree with Danny Doyle. Let me clarify that statement. I have several key lines that I use in all my effects. They are designed to elicit a response at critical moments...ie, to hide the dirty work. A laugh, a groan or a response from a spectator to take the heat off of me when I do what I need to do. Danny D. is right...have script to a certain degree. If you have some of Jay Sankeys DVD's or videos he talks about having some key lines in an effect and letting the spontaneous fun guide you the rest of the way. Whatever you do, have fun and your audience will also.
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
To clarify...
• I know all of the effects in my list, inside and out.
• I have routines and scripts for EACH effect I am doing.
• I have a list of the effects, and their designated pocket/location.
• I have several effects that require no table, some that do.
• I have read various publications and as much on the Café as I can, to learn about strolling.
• I have had this gig booked since April, and I have put a lot of thought and practice into it.

So no, I do not have a lot of experience with strolling. But that doesn't mean I am a newbie to magic who booked a gig and then a week before asked “what tricks should I buy for it?” I feel that I have prepared as much as I can for my first real gig in this genre of magic. Will I be perfect? Of course not. But a lot of what I have to learn, can only be learned by actually going out there and DOING the event and gaining experience.

I simply made this post to get a few last minute words of advice before I worked the gig.

To everyone, thank you.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
With the edits, my above post does not make much sense. What am I clarifying/defending, if the original post insulting me has been deleted?

You guys might as well delete this whole thread.

- Edwin Louis Cole
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Last minute advice for me? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL