The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Developing a unique presentation style » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Banachek,

Thank for lending your time to this forum. I wonder if you could speak a bit on how you developed your particular performance style and how it evolved. What resources and techniques did you call upon to transform yourself from Steve Shaw to Banachek?
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1079 Posts

Profile of Banachek
This is an easy one to answer. It is really a two-part question; the name change and style are separate.

Style. After watching the emotion elicited by evangelists I realized I wanted highs and lows in my show. As a result, often if I perform at a convention, you might think I constantly go all over the stage and move a mile a minute. And to a point this would be true, but not all my effects are that way. It is why I think it a mistake to judge any act you see when all they perform is ten minutes of their act at a magic convention. This may or may not be indicative of their entire. It is why comedy club agents want a tape of a full show. They have a problem with comedians who have a great ten minutes but bomb when they have to do a half an hour.

Sorry. Got off track there for a minute. But it was an important issue since I so often see people who critique a performer based upon such a short time or a show they saw 10 years ago.

Back on track: My style came from watching evangelists.

As for Steve Shaw to Banachek. No real transformation, nothing really changed on the performing end. It was more a change for recognition. At the time I was doing a lot of corporate shows. And I would give them a preprinted intro. The ceo would look at it, but decide they knew so much from my promo material that they would do their own intro without the printed-paper. They would start "he has been on the today show and CNN live, he has had full featured articles in Omni magazine, Psychology Today and the National Enquirer, I have seen him ....blah,,,blah...blah please welcome Steven ....WHAT WAS YOU LAST NAME AGAIN?"

They could not remember a simple name like Shaw. This happened to me three times in a row. Even after telling them. I asked myself why and realized, the name was so common and simple they would not think to remember it or take the time to. Instead they focused on all the other impressive facts. On top of that Shaw is a soft syllable. It slips right through the brain.

I decided I wanted a name that had at least two hard syllables and a name that would an instant mnemonic for these older guys. Banachek fit the bill. It was the name of George Pappard's character on TV and it had three hard syllables and if they did not know the TV show they would have to ask how to pronounce it. They would have to think about it. If they made fun of it. So be, they would remember me when I was done.

The name worked wonders. Notice I changed the spelling from the usual Banacek so they would not pronounce the c as and s, and I did not put a "check" at the end, but a "chek" so they would not make fun of it and say Bounce a check or some such.

The only thing I wished I had done was kept the Steve Shaw name for authoring books so that an internet search would not bring up my effects. Max Maven and Gary Kurtz were smart in that regard
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
So did you officially/legally change your name to Banachek?

Chad
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1079 Posts

Profile of Banachek
hmm, this is a funny story in a cruel kind of way, to me that is.

I once was asked the question of someone on how to change ones name and told them I could not tell them and told them why. I suggested they go to their local courthouse to fine out how to do it or call an attorney. I got a real harsh letter back, they were upset because I did not help them more. The problem was, I couldn't.

In investigating it, I found out that here in the US, you need to go back to the county you were born in. Well I was not born in the US. I was born in England, there I needed my birth certificate and the location I was born in. I do not have either, I know somewhere in middlesex, or suspect it was middlesex. As a result I could not change my name legally, but I have been told that if I adopt a name long enough, it can become my legal name.

Not that sure since I kind of gave up after a while and realized that it is just a stage name anyway.

My kids wanted me to change it so did my wife. Do you realize how long you have to sit through a graduation ceremony at a high school when your name starts in the S' Smile
Banachek
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1360 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Quote:
On 2002-12-18 14:30, Banachek wrote:
My kids wanted me to change it so did my wife. Do you realize how long you have to sit through a graduation ceremony at a high school when your name starts in the S' Smile

Waiting for the S' somehow doesn't seem that bad to me..
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
Quote:
On 2002-12-18 14:30, Banachek wrote:
Do you realize how long you have to sit through a graduation ceremony at a high school when your name starts in the S' Smile

Imagine how bored my son will be...

Tim "Z"ager
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1079 Posts

Profile of Banachek
never thought of that Tim, I need to remind my kids that there their name could have been Zager Smile In fact I may start telling them that not only did I walk to school in the snow, Uphill both ways. But to top it off my name was Zager and I had to sit through the entire roll call each day till they got to my name. Smile
Banachek
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of espmagic
So, then - for those of us who know "of" you , but don't know you (personally), should we refer to you as Banachek, or Mr. Banachek? Smile
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1079 Posts

Profile of Banachek
please, Banachek is the stage name, not Mr. Banachek. You guys and ladies are all my friends. Now if you want to call me "Your lord and Majesty Banachek", I might go for that Smile

I know, bad attempt at humor
Banachek
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Developing a unique presentation style » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL