The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Updating shows etc » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
Dearest Banachek,

on the average, how often do you;

...add a new effect?

...have a "new show"?

And how do you deal with repeat clients - i.e they have seen your show, say 2-3 times before, and obviously already know you're amazing. How do you make them feel they will get something refreshing?

As I mentioned in another post - I hope you don't see the question as too personal. It is extremely generous of you to participate in a Q&A like this!

Sincerely,

Matias
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1079 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Well Matias,

Many times in the college market I perform a full two-hour show, no intermission. I probably have enough material to last 4 hrs if I wanted.

Each show I throw in something I am working on just for fun when I have the chance. Often when going on a month tour and no breaks in between this is hard and you just go on autopilot.

Years ago I thought my show had not changed at all. Then I found an old outline and was very surprised at how much it had changed. Also I was shocked at some of the great stuff that had just slowly creeped out of my show for no reason I can explain.

I used to think I had to change my show all the time. Especially when I would hear comments like "we used to book so and so and his show has not changed in 15 years? But when I would try to change too much I would get comments like "but you did not do such and such and we really wanted to see that, we had told everyone about it." Hence (notice I like the word hence for some reason) the 45 minute show that is now two hours Smile

Each season I try to at least add one new thing. Who knows, over time I may look back and see that the entire (other than my signature pieces) has changed once again?
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Quote:
On 2002-12-15 17:32, Banachek wrote:
Who knows, over time I may look back and see that the entire (other than my signature pieces) has changed once again?

Banachek,
What do you consider your "signature" pieces and why do you think they have stood the test of time?

Thanks,
Stephen
Hello.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1079 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Signature pieces would include my Russian roulette with knives. It stands the test of time because people can't get the image of someone stabbing me with a knife out of their mind. If elicits the emotion of fear in the audience.

My blood routine, it is probably one of the more talked about effects only because people run out of the room. It actually puts a slight uneasy emotion in the audience. An emotion that makes them wonder if there is a lot more to this soft nice easygoing guy on stage. "Something we should fear?"

My card opening only because it sets the stage and framing for the rest of the show. I come out fast and hit them hard. It also gets them thinking from the start.

My silverware bending of course, mostly because it really gets the audience involved in maybe it is possible for them to do the things I do.

My Q&A (not the version taught at 72 hrs and the asylum) This is something that everyone remembers since it is so personal and since there is a kaleidoscope of ideas and thoughts it is a part of the show that makes the show different even if I have not changed much since last time they saw me.
Banachek
MarkusC
View Profile
New user
Australia
14 Posts

Profile of MarkusC
Quote:
On 2002-12-15 18:59, Banachek wrote:

Signature pieces would include my Russian roulette with knives. It stands the test of time because people can't get the image of someone stabbing me with a knife out of their mind. If elicits the emotion of fear in the audience.

My blood routine, it is probably one of the more talked about effects only because people run out of the room. It actually puts a slight uneasy emotion in the audience. An emotion that makes them wonder if there is a lot more to this soft nice easygoing guy on stage. "Something we should fear?"

Could you explain the effect of these two routines?
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1079 Posts

Profile of Banachek
If you do a search on the magic Café for Russian Roulette or knives you will find a topic that speaks of my routine with knives. I was the first to do such a routine. My routine actually consists of five knives. Sealed in envelopes. Three are only handles, two are real. Then they are mixed up. Five people select a knife by the handle. My prediction is opened and read by someone else. The two people indicated in the prediction step back. I lean over a chair and the other three stab me in the stomach one at a time.

That is the basic outline.

As for the voodoo routine I would rather not discuss it as it is a combination of two other ideas that have been around for a long time and I would be afraid that once I mentioned what others could easily emulate it in their shows.

Thanks for understanding,

by the way, here is the thread on the knife effect:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15
Banachek
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Updating shows etc » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL