The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Video card trick. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I just had an idea of a trick to do on the computer. The trick actually happens as you watch the video.

This is only my first attempt and I'm going to try and make a better one. I don't want to say much about it yet because I want to see if it works for most people. The method is the kind that probably won't work every time. I'm thinking up a better method.

My idea is to be able to eventually make it so it can be done in a web cam chat. I'll also put it on my site somewhere when I make a better one.

I uploaded it to youtube right now because of how they convert it into a flash video that loads faster. It's set to private on there site but I embedded it into a page on my server.

Let me know if it works and what you think.
Click here to watch it.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Sorry Jaxon, I got the ?? (card with-held so I don't spoil it) but on closer inspection I see that I couldn't have.
Great idea and I agree that it would work most of the time.

PM me if you want to know which card I got.

Cheers, Mike
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
I remember seeing Chan Canasta (English Magician 1920-1999) perform this effect on TV in front of a group of celebrities and the TV camera. I was floored.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks for not spoiling it Mike T. Smile

I know the emthod won't work everytime but it works quite often in real life. I would like to find a more foolproof way to do it though. Right now I'm just interested to see how often it works.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
David Blaine does it too... using the same card...

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doci......02388825
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I saw several cards but decided on just one..... YOURS!

Good Stuff!

Best,

Tim

P.S. I think Blaines was way obvious. Yours wasn't.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Worked for me too! Good job!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks.

I can't beleive the Blaine one was of the same card.. LOL

Ron Jaxon

The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I'd say it's a coincidence but upon closer thought your card is the perfect card for this effect so it makes sense more than one performer would choose it.

Best,

Tim
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
That's true. When I made the video I just browsed through the deck and picked one I felt would be easier to see at a quick glance. For instance a face card such as a king of spades would be harder to tell and the suit would easily get mixed up (Thought they say clubs but it was a spades). The card I used has more open space and easier to read fast.

A little tip for those who use this force in real life (I do all the time). First off make sure you have a back up routine. A simple back up would be after you produce the card and ask them what card they thought of. If they didn't pick the force card turn your card over and say, "Nope, you picked the wrong card". So you're jokingly blaming them for your mistake. Then you can find there card and do an Ambitious card routine or something.

The biggest tip is this. Tell them that you are missing some cards from the deck before you riffle them for a selection. You can do the "Never play with a full deck" bit to get a laugh. But tell them not to just think of a card such as the Ace of Spades (might catch them with that line). Because I might not have the card you're thinking of. "SO MAKE SURE YOU SEE ONE I ACTUALLY HAVE IN THE DECK AS I RIFFLE THEM". Now they are more likely to pick the force card because they'll actually see it.

Not foolproof but it does add to your advantage.

Ron Jaxon

Mallusionist
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Mallusionist
Just adding myself to the list of people who selected the "right" card. Very nicely done! (I've never been able to get this method to work for me reliably, so I'm extra impressed.)
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I've seen some card forces in various packet type tricks where they see a picture of cards spread around and they remember one of them. But it's a force because there's only card that's really visible in the picture. Does anyone know where I can find information on that? I was thinking it might work for a different version of this video trick.

Ron Jaxon

magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Great video!
Michael
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Just letting you know it worked for me.
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Ron, that's a nice presentation of that force. I know I have used it a few times since you have showed it to me several years ago. It plays over really well when they see the force card. I will brainstorm for ideas on a more foolproof way if I can.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
solidoak
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of solidoak
You got me. Looks great!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Video card trick. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL