The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Liquid metal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Quote:
On 2006-07-26 12:05, big Tom wrote:
Well smorris magic some of us did not have the pleasure of spelling and grammer written in our geans some people just cant spell that well or know were to use the ?!.'": grammer I did not post this to get credisized ok so what is that famose line mothers like to use ah yes if you don't have somthing nice to say don't say anything at all

You could always just download something like the free Google Toolbar as it comes with a spellcheck button that checks the spelling in your posts/forms before submitting (it also has a great pop-up blocker built in). That's what I use. When I ran it before submitting this post, it found six spelling errors in the above quote that could have been fixed with six additional seconds of attention.

I don't think anyone expects perfect grammar from any of us, but with a little extra effort on your part it would make it a lot easier for everyone to understand what you are trying to say, which will help you get more appropriate and helpful responses to your posts. Also, by taking the time to write something that at least has a semblance of coherent spelling and grammar, you are demonstrating your respect of the members of this forum. By showing respect you will garner respect in kind.

I don't own Liquid Metal, but I perform the corkscrew bend that I learned in Banachek's PK Silverware, which I gather is similar to what you're talking about. I also use the forks from Walmart as they seem to be the easiest to work with, but I do the corkscrew preparation in advance of the performance. Although, from what I remember from the Liquid Metal routine, this might not be a viable option for you.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
innovativemagic
View Profile
New user
Atlanta Ga
3 Posts

Profile of innovativemagic
Wow Piz,be nice now. Dominion I have found to be very good to do Liquid Metal. I would go to a restaurant whole seller. Thy have tons of cheep forks and spoons you need. How my spelling???

Don
Let me innovate your mind

Don
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
I buy my Ddominions by the case at a restaurant supply house. While on the road, I can pick them up at any Wal-Mart.

Like most tricks, the secret is very simple. This one all comes down to practice and presentation. I have found that it works best in a restaurant or bar setting. I wrap my two forks (along with knifes) in the restaurant or bar cloth napkin. I set them in a place where I can find them. I un-wrap them right in front of the spectators. Milk the effect for ten minutes and walk away. Hardly ever does anyone compare my forks to the ones in the restaurant.
big Tom
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of big Tom
The walmart that I have in my area dose nt sell the dominion any more. I have thalk to the manager and he said that they are discountinude, and they can not get them anymore. I have found some online and I am waiting for them to be delivered.
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
I use to get dominion dinner forks at wal-mart also till they discontinued them. Do a google search for dominion dinner forks and you can find them on there site for only $6.00 for a case of 36. About the same price wal-mart was charging. Thank you!!! 'Piz'
Castle2369
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston, MA
207 Posts

Profile of Castle2369
I really enjoy Morgan Strebler's Liquid Metal (DVD), this routine is pretty strong. The finger-strength does need to build-up a bit, but also it's really the finger-positioning you have to focus-on for the most-part when you feel like something is difficult. This is because if that's all wrong, you of course will have trouble doing whatever micro-manipulatory skills required. The misdirection explained within this (DVD) is brilliant, I love the way Morgan Strebler has incorperated spectator participation in the whole rouitine. I use the dominion type of silverware as well, but not all cheap silverware is fair to bend. I think for the most-part you'll start-off using cheap silverware and in result of practice, you'll eventually work yourself up to the even thicker of kind.

Cheers,

Castle
Creator of the Gallerian Bend
ahofer
View Profile
New user
Ossining, New York
92 Posts

Profile of ahofer
There's a HUGE difference in the forks you use... the Dominions are definitely the best -- not as weak as the bargain store forks, but easy to corkscrew. Also easy to buy! I couldn't find them at WalMart, but found them on Amazon, and got 180 forks (5 boxes) for $26! Here's the link, it still works as of today:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001IL......v=glance
ryoma4148
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of ryoma4148
In France we have a brand of forks : Kassel, which I find perfect to do metal bending Smile
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
As far as the corkscrew goes, there is a bit of misdirection and a small bit of built-in Preset. It doesn't have to be perfect. If it's off by 45 degrees, it still looks just as good as going the full 180 degrees in the twist.
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
Magicnevets
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of Magicnevets
I found LM rather easy to pick up. I'm not trying to show off but if you follow Morgans steps one at a time you shouldn't have any major problems. In Australia we don't have Dominions but I've found plenty of other brands that work well. I have even used some that have obvious designs on the face and gotten away with the first stage (corkscrew in the spec's hand) by using magicians choice and a lot of misdirection. Keep up with the practice Big Tom because it's a real reputation maker when done right!
I don't perform illusions... it just looks like I do!
shots
View Profile
Loyal user
Kissimmee, FL
256 Posts

Profile of shots
Last night I brought a couple forks with me when I went to dinner with family and friends. While nobody was looking I switched my fork out for one that was wrapped in napkins. When everyone was opening their napkins, I nonchalantly put a corkscrew in mine, and immediately went into LM, the part where you put the fork in the spec's hand and make it "twist" in their hand. Totally freaked them out, including the waitress.

Then, just for fun, I put a corkscrew in the one from the table and switched it out with the one I had brought so the patterns matched. I actually found the one from the restaraunt to be easier to bend than the ones I brought--go figure.

I've gone through around 100+ forks getting the corkscrew down. I pretty much have it down now, can do it without much (apparent) effort, and am starting to get the rest of the routine down. I've already ordered another gross of forks to continue my practice.

For fun, I've also been experimenting with spoons, have ordered one of the auto-bend spoons, and have started dabbling into coin bending using the Boa, though to me that seems more like a feat of strength than a mental metal bending effect.

If you're having problems with the corkscrew, be sure to watch exactly how he does it in the video, and keep practicing--you'll get it!!
Magic in the Shadows
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of fooksau
I have both liquid metal and Banacheks, and Banachek's blows liquid metal away. The bends you can actually see happening, not just look it already happened.
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
shots
View Profile
Loyal user
Kissimmee, FL
256 Posts

Profile of shots
I'm going to have to get Banachek's DVD if it's that good. I've got his Subtleties book, so I guess I need to make the move and get his DVD.

I'm still doing Liquid Metal and having great results so far! I can do the corkscrew with really heavy forks now, so the cheaper ones are really easy--just keep practicing and your fingers will get used to it.

Thanks,
Scott
Magic in the Shadows
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
They're both very good, but PK goes more into teaching the subtleties of the different bends, while Liquid Metal is more about teaching a routine that uses some of the PK bends. If I was to make a recommendation to anyone new to metal bending, I would say get Banachek's PK Silverware first, master it, and then get Liquid Metal, as it really is a more advanced, and difficult, application of those basic skills.

Banachek's is also worth having as it shows some really killer stuff that isn't in the Liquid Metal routine at all.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
Quote:
On 2006-08-03 06:41, Piz wrote:
I use to get dominion dinner forks at wal-mart also till they discontinued them. Do a google search for dominion dinner forks and you can find them on there site for only $6.00 for a case of 36. About the same price wal-mart was charging. Thank you!!! 'Piz'

Hey I had the same problem. Very frustrating that Wal-Mart discontinued those, because they were perfect for metal bending and inexpensive. So I googled Dominion dinner forks and got about a 100 wholesalers. What I'm wondering is will they all be the same product? What site do you purchase from?
Peace Beth
"All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive,enlightening, familar, and surprising."
Adam Teece
View Profile
New user
Lehigh Acres, FL
52 Posts

Profile of Adam Teece
Quote:
On 2006-09-23 22:10, Beth wrote:
Hey I had the same problem. Very frustrating that Wal-Mart discontinued those, because they were perfect for metal bending and inexpensive. So I googled Dominion dinner forks and got about a 100 wholesalers. What I'm wondering is will they all be the same product? What site do you purchase from?
Peace Beth

I am wondering the same thing. I was also curious if it is still cheap to order them even considering shipping costs. I have been making due with the forks that Wal-Mart currently sells 6 for a dollar, but they are quite difficult to bend a lot of the time. All it really does though is prevent me from getting a very impressive bend in.
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
I have recently decided that Liquid Metal is my favorite trade show routine. When booth traffic is light, I walk into the aisle and start performing this for the first person that comes along. Before I get to the second fork, there will be 25 people in the booth.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2006-09-23 22:10, Beth wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-08-03 06:41, Piz wrote:

Peace Beth

Beth,
I think Dominion is a style, not a brand so yes there is a big difference in products. If you buy Oneida's "Dominion" you'll need a vice to make the bends. Most likely any vendor that sells them for a few dollars a dozen will work fine.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
[quote]On 2006-09-25 16:59, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Quote:
Beth,
I think Dominion is a style, not a brand so yes there is a big difference in products. If you buy Oneida's "Dominion" you'll need a vice to make the bends. Most likely any vendor that sells them for a few dollars a dozen will work fine.

Aahhh I see. Thank you Dave.That helps a great deal. I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. Smile

Now, I wonder, why is it as soon as one finds the perfect product, some employee of the month, just totally feels the need to yank it off the shelf and replace it with some durable, totally unmoldable piece of silverware that ruins it for us all? Don't we as Americans have the right to cheap, bendable silverware huh... I ask you that? Is anyone else thinking personal vendetta against Beth hmmmmmmm?.... Okay...well, maybe that's just me lol Smile
Peace Guys
"All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive,enlightening, familar, and surprising."
Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
Well Im just getting into bending, picked up PK Silverware (think that's the correct title) and am looking around for cheap stuff to wreck...

Unfortunetly we don't have "wal-mart" over here in aus so if any aussies know of decent products for this kind of use can you let me know...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Liquid metal (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL