The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Mentalism teaching material » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarkusC
View Profile
New user
Australia
14 Posts

Profile of MarkusC
Mr Banachek,

Well, as a complete beginner to mentalism, I thought I'd get myself some books. I've ordered:

13 Steps to Mentalism - Tony Corinda
Practical Mental Magic - Theodore Anneman
Full facts of Cold Reading Vol. 3 - Ian Rowland

While I'm waiting for them to arrive, how about giving us your top 5 books and top 5 videos for learning mentalism (feel free to include your own), as well as advice to beginners wanting to get a foothold in the field?

'Tis but a flesh wound.
Smile
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
I would love to do this but there is so much material out there. I honestly do not have a top five. Most of my inspiration actually comes outside the mentalist world. Usually in books on psychics or skeptical materials.

If I get one effect from a book, to me that is a great book. If I get one effect from a book that inspires me, that is an incredible book.

The recent Berglas book is a book that inspires me.

I have a library of thousands of books on mentalism. Many of them hold gems. A few that come to mind are as follows:

James Auer, The Spirit Is Willing
The Newman Library "Collected mental secrets"
Henry Kaye The handbook of mental magic"
Bill Severn's Magic In Mind
Barrie Richardson's theater of the mind.

There, that is five, but not my favorites, just five that come to the top of my head as being exceptional, each in a different way.

For instance, the story and layouts of the effects are what get me the most about the Richardson book, yes the effects are great to, but the routines are inspirational to me. Henry Kaye's book is great book to get one thinking. Many of the effects are no good as is, but they will get you thinking. In fact I felt the same way about TA Waters Mind, Myth and Magic, as is many of the effects just did not gel for me, but it was inspirational and I was thinking for weeks. Well worth the money and time to read and for a beginner there is a lot of base to work from.

If I was going to suggest any books newcomers were going to purchase, I would suggest most of what you have already purchased for a good base to start from, but next I would go out and purchase any of the old magazines you can. Especially if they are in hard cover. For instance:

Sam Delal's Swami Mantra
The complete Jinx.
The mentalist
Hugards magic Monthly
and the complete Magick

There that is five more. And of course lets not forget, many, many magic and mental effects can find their basic parts in that place most working magicians and mentalists hate to admit they have not read or even had any association with, Tarbell.

By the way, there is no particular order to the lists I have given. Asked tomorrow even the list would probably change

Now, if that is not enough for your Christmas list for the next two years I'm not sure what is Smile

I purposely did not mention my books, tapes or anything we sell such as Richard Buschs' Peek Performances only because that would be self-serving. But I will say the H.J Burlingame book that is attached to my new book really inspired me, many years ago.

Again I know, I over did it in the answer, sorry.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
MarkusC
View Profile
New user
Australia
14 Posts

Profile of MarkusC
Thank you very muchly. Looks like my credit card will get a bit of a bashing next year.

I'm a big fan of learning through videos/DVD's. Any of those that you can recommend?
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Markus, though you might be a big fan of DVD/VIDEOS, you'll end up getting more "bang for your buck" with some books as I believe they also help develop your own "voice" as a performer, where DVDs/VIDEOs (though great and I enjoy them myself) tend to make us do what "they are doing". The books you ordered and the few you are going to order will keep your hands (and brain) busy for quite awhile, but anyway, here are a few videos/dvds I would suggest: Ted Lesley, Bob Cassidy, Larry Becker, Max Maven and Eugene Burger just to name a few. Take a peek at which one might interest you most and go for it. Good luck.

Smile
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Yes, I agree with Alexandre about the books vrs DVD or Video. Especially his point about your own "voice" The names mentioned are all good ones, but I must add that you should get your hands on anything my pal Richard Ostelind, put out.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Mentalism teaching material » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL