We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Recommendation for Best Ebay "Snipe Software" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4146 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
There are times when I just cannot be at the computer - work, vacation, etc... - when I want to bid on something.

The advantages are great, as it bids for you at the time you specify.

What brand/version do you recommend?

Mark,
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I use vrane/amherst robots - their free service only allows one snipe at a time, but it is free.

http://www.vrane.com/

click on "sniper login" and sign up.

Most free sniper services don't snipe at the last seconds of the auction - you need to pay for that. Vrane is always in the last few seconds, and I have never had them miss an auction.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4146 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Cnet.com recommended

esnipe.com

Tried it. Works fine.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-07-27 15:36, Chessmann wrote:
Cnet.com recommended

esnipe.com

Tried it. Works fine.

Mark

Yes - there are many snipe services. The one I suggested is FREE. esnipe.com has a fee associated with it. If you feel comfortable paying for something you can also get for free, then be my guest. Personally- I like to save my $ for more magic Smile
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4146 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I considered that. The free version of the service you mentioned only allows you to work one auction at a time. This is not always feasible.

Anyway, when I read the cnet review about esnipe, it came with an excellent recommendation in many ways - reliability, security, etc... Those things are very important to me, and since I have always respected cnet, I took notice.

Also, right now it is free. I am on the trial period. And the fee is really not very much. I think if someone won something that is $100 the fee is $1.

I probably won't be buying much these days anyway, unfortunately. But it was something I had been thinking about for a long time.

But I do thank you for posting your recommendation.

Mark
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I still don't understand the difference between this sniping software and allowing Ebay to bid you up following other's bids. The auction does allow you to enter your maximum amount willing to spend and it will put you a buck or so above the latest bid until (hopefully doesn't happen) your max is met and beat by another.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
On an impersonal, logical and technical level, you are right Randy.

However, ebay is filled with irrational, illogical, emotional and egotistical bullies!!!

More often than not, if someone see's your bid they will outbid you even if it was more than their max bid, or even if its more than they are willing to pay, just so they can "win".

Furthermore, many people do not use the proxy-bidding correctly, and instead of betting their max, they will low-ball it and then increase bids in $5-$10 increments trying to get the highest(when just bidding your max is what you should do)...

if you run into someone who does that and you both have max prices of $50, then they can sit thinking their initial $20 bid is good and you can snipe it for $25, whereas if you had just put a max of like $50, then they would see they are outbid, raise it and keep going back and forth up till that $50.

So whether its to avoid getting into an emotional bidding war or whether it is to sneak in past the people that just bid incrementally, sniping is a really good solution that is better than the proxy system(until such time that people learn to use the proxy system and stop getting egotistical about winning an auction).
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Daegs I've seen this "bidding fever" as a seller. Believe me, with or without sniping software, I will not pay above my max. I know what I'm bidding on and it's value. It makes no sense to get into these bidding wars.

I recently sold a used Korean cookbook. The starting bid was $0.99 (yes, 99 cents). Toward the end of auction it was at $37.00 and a day before end of auction a fellow in England won it.

I saw two potential problems here:

1. cost of shipping to England isn't cheap for a book this size.
2. He could of bought this on Amazon.com for LESS than the closing cost + shippng! Is this crazy or what!!!

I told him about these two problems and was willing to contact a couple of close bidders in the US with a "second chance offer". His response:

"Just tell me what shipping is and mail it!"

Yes sir! And off it went.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Right, but the key is that even if you won't pay more than your max, many times you'll be able to win the item BELOW your max by not letting others know that you are bidding, because they set their max bid too low.

But yes, many times people just want the satisfaction of winning.... good for sellers!
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
I have spent a complete year working on my masters thesis, understanding irrational user behavior on eBay. The more I learn, the more I realize how the complexity of user perception and behavior in eBay is underestimated Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Recommendation for Best Ebay "Snipe Software" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL