The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Correlated brain activity of seperated people » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sjiwi
View Profile
New user
Belgium
57 Posts

Profile of Sjiwi
Mr. Banachek,

For what it's worth, I have just seen an article in a scientific journal which might be of interest to you and, of course, other people in this forum :

"Wackermann, J.V, Seiter, C. , Keibel, H. , & Walach, H. (2003). Correlations between brain electrical activities of two spatially separated human subjects. Neuroscience Letters, 336, 60 - 64.

Abstract
Six channels electroencephalogram (EEG) were recorded simultaneously from pairs of separated human subjects in two acoustically and electromagnetically shielded rooms. While brain electric responses to visual pattern-reversal stimuli were elicited in one subject, the other subject relaxed without stimulation. EEGs of both subjects were averaged at times of stimulus onset, effective voltage of the averaged signals was computed within a running window, and expressed as ratio (Q) to the effective voltage of averaged EEG signal from non-stimulation periods. These ratios in non-stimulated subjects at the latency of the maximum response in stimulated subjects were analysed. Significant departures of Q ratios from reference distributions, based on baseline EEG in non-stimulation periods, were found in most non-stimulated subjects. The results indicate that correlations between brain activities of two separated subjects may occur, although no biophysical mechanism is known."

best regards,

Sjiwi
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Quote:
On 2002-12-16 06:20, Sjiwi wrote:
Abstract
Six channels electroencephalogram (EEG) were recorded simultaneously from pairs of separated human subjects in two acoustically and electromagnetically shielded rooms. While brain electric responses to visual pattern-reversal stimuli were elicited in one subject...

Thanks for the citation! It's great information, but a bit dry. If I were to use it in a show, I might introduce it like this:

"I've found that thought transmission works well when everyone is relaxed and letting things 'flow'. The stereotypical phrase 'you're getting sleepy' isn't effective because it's such a cliche, but I've found a brief passage that induces 'sleep' quite readily. I will now ask you to sit back, relax, and listen."

I would then read the portion of the abstract I quoted above.
Sjiwi
View Profile
New user
Belgium
57 Posts

Profile of Sjiwi
Hehe, I thought the idea of scientific evidence for two completely separated people having the same brain activity could indeed be used as patter or as a story-line but I didn't actually think about using it as a sleep-inducer itself. Smile
But then again, they are quite effective in that respect, aren't they Smile ?
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
I think there is a great storyline here for TV, maybe not for a stage show. THanks for the interesting information
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Correlated brain activity of seperated people » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL