The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » It's gone wrong! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harry R
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Harry R
Hi Banachek

I'm interested to know if anything has ever gone particularly wrong during a performance. A prop failing at a crucial moment or an eagle eyed spectator catching sight of a gimmick. If so I imagine that covering these things would not be a big deal for a seasoned performer like yourself.
But I'd be fascinated to hear any stories.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1079 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Once, many years ago when performing the bullet catch, something went seriously wrong. I had a loaded gun, with a 100 % real bullet that I knew would kill my partner if fired. I simply stated, that I did not feel right about performing the effect tonight, we did not.

I was almost killed twice due to the neglegence of the partner I had a the time. Second time was when we never worked together again. I can not go into details here as it involves a method I have never posted anywhere yet. Maybe it will appear in a book down the line.

Usually I do not worry if something goes wrong. I have so much I can do to impress them afterwards, that the mistake is usually forgotten. Since it is mentalism I always start by letting the audience know that not everything I try tonight will work. That saves me later if anything does happen. And it does once in a blue moon.

That's the great thing about mentalism, we are allowed to fail once in a while. I have had a few times through the years when I realized that the item I needed was not there. But I'm already half way into the routine. THere is nothing to do but either stop, or think quick and go through some sort of a routine that you know will fail. Heck, Canasta if rumored of setting up a huge impossible routine on live TV that he knew would fail. I would not go as far as to fail on purpose, I think people are paying to see me succeed.

I can recall once in my early days when I realized I did not have the prediction I needed. "Ladies and Gentleman, I had a prediction to show you, but it is just plain wrong" and I did not show it, could not actually. No-adays I have back ups such as PW. No, I am not going to explain what PW is, as that would then be giving a method away to an open forum. Those that need to know, do already Smile

Proabably the worse thing to ever happen to me was once when I was performing walk around at an outdoor party at night. I walked to one side of the yard to the other and the ground fell out from under me. I had walked right smack dab into the swimming pool. I just kept walking and walked out the other side with a deck of cards in my hand. My pants, jacket and all were soaked. Instead of quiting (I really needed the money at the time to pay my rent) I borrowed a pair of trunks from the owner, a deck of cards and some index cards and a pen and finished out my night. Was I embarressed, yes, but while changing I was told I was not the first to do that, that night. This made me feel better. Especially since the pool was not lit up at all so in my mind it was not truly my fault and not something to be embarrassed about. But as I mind reader I should have known the pool was there right? Smile
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
248 Posts

Profile of saglaser
Only if you could have read the pool's mind ;-)

Kidding aside, I just want to let you know how helpful these kinds of examples are. I know that in my prior non-magical entertainment career, I became a vastly better entertainer as soon as I got comfortable with the fact that glitches would happen and I could either make light of them or just move one. Since that was a much more humor-oriented area, however, it's sometimes hard to remember to carry that over into magic and mentalism. Your examples of grace under fire help me to keep things in perspective.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1079 Posts

Profile of Banachek
YOu bet! Once we realize we can not control everything and things will happen, we relax. But we do need to be careful not to take a too relaxed attitude about our perfomances or we lose our edge.

But we certainly become less thown off by things when they pop up, and that is a good thing.
Banachek
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2051 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
But as I mind reader I should have known the pool was there right? Smile

Nah. Remember, you're a mindreader, not a dowser!

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Sir,
I just ordered Psychokinetic Silverware friday and I am axiously awaiting it's arival. My question to you is "What would your suggestions be for a person such as myself who needs a strong foundation in showmanship and routine handling in order to begin a career on the right foot?" I am 48 y/o and just realizing how much I want to be an entertainer. What books etc.?
"A flash of silvery light ..and it was gone."
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Sir,
I just ordered Psychokinetic Silverware friday and I am axiously awaiting it's arival. My question to you is "What would your suggestions be for a person such as myself who needs a strong foundation in showmanship and routine handling in order to begin a career on the right foot?" I am 48 y/o and just realizing how much I want to be an entertainer. What books etc.?
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Sir,
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1079 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Such a good topic it posted three times Smile

Actually good question and I kind of answered elsewhere when talking about my style. I can do no better than direct into watching evangelists do their thing. Best lessons in showmanship you will ever see, on TV or live.

From there, the best lesson is experience and you really can't get that unless you just get out there. Any place you can get to work night after night will help tremendously. Even if it is just walk around at a restaurant. Work just for tips if you have to starting out. But work. The more you work, the better you will get.

Perform for the girl at the check out counter. Sometimes this is how I will work out a new effect. Usually I do it as mentioned elsewhere here. But I actually try it out a few times on the unsuspecting public. Hey, I will probably never see them again so if it is not so good, that is okay.
Banachek
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Sir,
Thank you for your reply and motivation. I will and I am determined to be a very good entertainer. I will heed your advice and get out there and do it. Thanks again, and I wish you the best through the rest of your career.
Harry R
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Harry R
Yes, thanks very much Banachek. It is reassuring to know that even the master has to face adversity from time to time, and inspiring to hear how you work it into your routine.
Great stuff! Thanks again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » It's gone wrong! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL