The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Fraud...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
jg2000
View Profile
New user
Northern NJ
4 Posts

Profile of jg2000
Josh,

it sounds like you're pleased with the effect, of course they had to embellish the wording in order to get sales.
I'm curious as to why you were glad they shipped what they did with the DVD? I should be getting mine tomorrow, it's all I've been talking about.

I'm sure you've heard of Bye George, I'm actually the person who produced that DVD, you should check it out.
I'm looking for feedback on the quality of the production and you seem like a good candidate.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
WOW!!

Now that I've seen the invoice and what is included...I have an idea about how this is done...if I'm right...this is INGENIOUS!!!

How many effects has Daniel Garcia produced? And...

Are they as good as this?

Hopefully I can obtain them all at Ellusionist?

Thanks in advance!

Doug
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
Hey JG that's cool that you produced that DVD! I probably won't be buying that because I honestly wouldnt use it, but it does look like a great effect. If you ever need music for any productions check out my company http://www.songandfilm.com - my song was just on All My Children today! It will be on tonight at 2am on the soap channel. My song "Beautiful" opens the episode. Pretty cool!
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Quote:
On 2006-09-22 21:51, Dougini wrote:
WOW!!

Now that I've seen the invoice and what is included...I have an idea about how this is done...if I'm right...this is INGENIOUS!!!

Thanks in advance!

Doug

what are you talking about? I have a ivoice that was sent to me from E via email and it just says Fraud dvd...Did I miss something here?
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
When it ships you can see everything included on that invoice - That's what Doug was talking about. Man, I am on this site too much tonight!
bradchristian
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of bradchristian
Quote:
On 2006-09-22 21:51, Dougini wrote:
WOW!!

Thanks in advance!

Doug

Dougini,

We've got about 5-6 more killer Garcia effects that are already filmed and slated for production. The next one (that is a pure Garcia effect) hits the shelves in the beginning of December and it is called...

W A R N I N G.

You have to be over 18 to even order it. It's pretty crazy.

Before that though, Danny has video coming out with Ellusionist called KAOS. It's a slow, surgical, card through window. The original effect was created by Sean Beard, then Danny, Houchin, Jonathan Bayme and myself reworked it and created KAOS out of it. The effect rocks.

All the best,

Brad.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
That's good news Brad.Glad to see Danny keeping busy.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
[/quote]
Dougini,
We've got about 5-6 more killer Garcia effects that are already filmed and slated for production. Brad.
[/quote]
Maybe all on 1 dvd?....right..... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
I am not sold on it yet (Way too early).... I want to hear more reviews first (Pros and Cons) as money is tight at my end... $30 (w/ shipping)-- Especially for 1 trick, no matter how great it is. DG's Project (3 Volume DVD Set) is worth it for the money for 17 tricks. I understand a lot of time went into making 1 effect that they need to make a profit, but add a 2nd or 3rd effect also. I cannot imagine that the total amount of playtime of this DVD (1 effect) is the same as any one volume of Project DVD's (5-6 tricks in each volume).

More and More Magic DVD's these days are being released with 1 effect costing $20-30.

Is FRAUD an effect that can be bought used down the road (for a slightly cheaper expense) and WITHOUT the "Extra-Something" that originally comes with the DVD??? I mean-- Can someone buy JUST the used DVD and nothing else except whatever that someone has to buy at an office-supply store to have the effect work?? I don't want to be fooled by an advertisement of a used DVD of FRAUD that states that it only is the used DVD that one is buying and you can just make the gimmick and you don't even need the "Extra-Something" that originally came with the DVD.

Thanks.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
The extra thing you can buy pretty much any store - you need the DVD for part of the gimmick process.
George 
View Profile
Regular user
New York
133 Posts

Profile of George 
I believe it was mentioned on the Ellusionist message boards that the extra item was included because it wouldn't be available in all regions of the world. I know, however, that it is commonplace through the US

George
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
All I am saying is that if this 1 trick was in a DVD of 5 or 6 other effects... I wouldn't make a big thing about it.

GREED and the EGO CHANGE were both in booklets before the DVD formats and much more inexpensive and with other effects (GREED wasn't with other effects, but still less expensive). Just these 2 tricks are so powerful in effect. What made these 2 effects more expensive was the DVD format. Granted, DVD is much more easier to learn, but why can't they be put with other effects in book form as an option?? Would someone pay $30 for a book of 1 effect... I doubt many would. Even Paul Harris' Immaculate Connection was sold as a booklet form (12 pages or so) for under $10 and that is a powerful effect.

Look-- Volumes 1 & 2 of DG's PROJECT DVD had 6 effects each. Why couldn't he add FRAUD, GREED or TORN as the 6th effect in Volume 3, which only included 5 effects??

I don't mean to gripe in my above feelings... On a good note-- I do feel Daniel is absolutely innovative and I admire him and his effects. He does stand-out as the "Paul Harris" of the 2000's. But just consider how Paul Harris first sold his video tapes 10+ years ago each at $30-50, but you get 10-15 effects in each tape. Paul's books (before AOA) each included 10-20 effects... Each 1 of those effects was (still is) so powerful. Putting more tricks in a book or video/DVD advertises for the creator.

It's not just DG's "1 Trick" DVD's, but many new Magic DVD's out in the market today... (WARP ONE is another).

Where is the Magic industry going??... It has changed in just 10+ years.... And we are all buying into it.... Yes-- Even me!! How else can I get these powerful effects these days?? Everything from Gas to Magic goes up, but salaries, do not. Even asking for raises-- They laugh at you.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I think plenty of multi-effect books and DVDs are still coming out. For ages though, I've always felt, and expressed, that if I bought a DVD with 6 effects on it, but I only ever wound up actually using 1 effect out of the 6, then paying $35 (or however much) would be worth it.

I don't see how ultimately, that's much different than buying a DVD that only has 1 effect, as long as the effect is workable and usable.

I'd rather spend $50 on a one-trick DVD that contains an effect I'll actually use in my paid gigs, than $35 on a multi-trick DVD which has material that I wouldn't use.

I know this situation may be different for people who do not perform for money, but in my case, if I can use an effect (like Fraud for example) in only ONE paid gig, the effect has more than paid for itself, as $20-30 is much less than my performance rate.

I believe that DG released TORN, GREED, and now FRAUD as single-effect DVDs because it's really necessary. The handlings, preparations, etc need to be covered quite extensively. For them to be glossed over in 5-10 minutes as part of a multi-effect DVD would not do justice to these particular effects. Obviously DG doesn't have a problem with releasing multi-effect DVDs. But everything in his DGP set was an effect that could be gone over in a short time and still be covered fully.

Another example would be Greg Wilson. He's released plenty of multi-effect DVDs. But with Hundy500, he needed an entire DVD just to go over all the complexities involved, so that's what we got.

If the magic world is heading to a place where only single effects are released, but each of them is as impressive and useful in the real-world as effects like Greed and Fraud, then I'd say it's a change for the better.

Kevin

PS - Received Fraud today and really like it! Can't wait to get it together and start performing it. Check the review section for my review.
Kevin Reylek
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2006-09-23 20:45, Salby wrote:
All I am saying is that if this 1 trick was in a DVD of 5 or 6 other effects... I wouldn't make a big thing about it.

This may be the definition of "fillers" as applied to several dvd's out there.... Smile ...If a performer thinks he/she has an exceptional effect, it's going out as a single, expensive release...This looks like the new trend....That's why I liked Paul Harris...Multi effect videos, including marketed effects (but he even started producing "one item" dvd's).....Oh well...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
How does one put a price on an effect?? I find BAD HABIT in DG's PROJECT DVD is absolutely devastating (as for most of his tricks on that DVD set). Why wasn't that a 1 trick DVD?? How does one decide that a trick is a 1 trick DVD??

What is the actual running time on the FRAUD DVD??...... C'mon, you are saying he couldn't add 1 or 2 more ("smaller") tricks on it for the same price?? I doubt the actual playtime on the FRAUD DVD equals the same, or close to it, on 1 of DG's PROJECT DVD's. I could be wrong now Smile

FRAUD couldn't be put in a booklet form for a lesser price as was GREED?? I think there are ways to do things like this.

As for if you buy a DVD with 6 tricks on it and you only use 1 of them that that is worth the price of the DVD.... Playing "Devil's advocate" now-- You only increase your chances of liking at least 1 effect in a pot of 6 effects. What if you buy a DVD with 1 effect??... The chances of disliking the idea of putting $30 on the DVD are greater... You only bought a DVD with ONE effect on it.... Much more disappointing then. Granted, you can also love it with the 1 trick. Should one take the chance??
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
I agree with you guys...

Take Bill In Kiwi for example... The name of the DVD was none other then "Bill In Kiwi", BUT, there were also about 9 or so other bonus effects on it...

DG should really be adding a little something extra to each of his DVD's, instead of coming out with a new $30 DVD each month...

I understand the DVD needs to be divided up into sections such as performance, routine, construction, etc, but there should also be room for some bonus stuff...

-Vinnie

PS, Salby, what part of NJ you from?
arangel
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of arangel
You guys are right, how does one put a price on an effect?
For me, I think anything of quality should be priced around two to three hundred dollars, be only in a book, and limited to no more than 100 copys.
At least this would keep the hacks away.

For the love of the art.....
Alex Rangel
O.T.S.S
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Alex,

That is what I have been wondering for YEARS!

"How do magicians/retailers price magic effects, DVD's, books, and illusions?"

Period.
-Vinnie
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Look-- I am sorry for being a pessimist... FRAUD looks like a good effect and I am going to buy it by the reviews I am reading (AMEN to reviews). Since FRAUD is the newest effect out on the market that is a "1 trick for $30"... It happened to be an "easy target" because people are just talking about it.

I'll cease my ranting and raving about the subject of spending a relatively high cost for just 1 effect. I think everyone reading these posts does understand where I am coming from-- Some agree and some won't.

We should try to stick with the subject and if I happen to get annoyed about it again (which I am sure I, or someone else, will, I will start a topic for that gripe and anyone who wants to add his/her thoughts can freely do so.

Just know where some DVD effects are going. It is a computer world and DVD's are in now. There seems to be more DVD's produced than books these days.... Sad, but true Smile

So on with this awesome trick of FRAUD..... And sorry Daniel for using it as a scapegoat. I still look up to you and your most creative mind Smile

PS: Hey Vinnie-- I am located in Northwestern NJ (If you are a skier... I'm 20 minutes from Mountain Creek in Vernon, NJ).
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
Hey, I love to ski!! I'm in monmouth county near the shore
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Fraud...? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL